The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlm

Workshop Member
the Hopi, Dakota and Navaho in the american southwest, among many, many others, used that symbol from way back. unfortunately, it now has some unacceptable associations.

Shashin

Lovely, Will - I love the rock tones in this entire series of yours. But it's a shame about the swastika (?) grafitti in the middle. Or were you deliberately centering on it to show how incongruous it is?

Ray
Ray, the swastika is a petroglyph made well before the Third Reich came into being. As Jim pointed out, it is a common symbol with native people. The Hopi use the symbol to represent their migration story. The Navajo (Dineh) use in it healing ceremonies. It is a very common symbol in Asia as well--commonly as a representation of the four rivers of the world emanating from the central mountain of the world. You will find Buddhist temples in Japan use this. They also have in on their maps to denote a temple rather than neo-NAZI groups.

Ed Hurst

I was back in my home country of England for Christmas and took the opportunity to reignite an old passion - British steam railways. The Foxfield Railway, in Staffordshire, used to operate from a coal mine up gradients of 1:19 to connect with a nearby main line. These days the mine is closed and the railway is run by volunteers for the sheer pleasure of it.

Pictures taken with Pentax 645D and variety of lenses.

[/url]
_IGP5705Step8CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (110k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

bensonga

Very impressive shots Ed. It must be really neat to stand there as these steam locomotives go by. I've always wanted to take a ride on the White Pass & Yukon steam locomotive railway (out of Skagway, Alaska). Someday....

Gary

ondebanks

Ray, the swastika is a petroglyph made well before the Third Reich came into being. As Jim pointed out, it is a common symbol with native people. The Hopi use the symbol to represent their migration story. The Navajo (Dineh) use in it healing ceremonies. It is a very common symbol in Asia as well--commonly as a representation of the four rivers of the world emanating from the central mountain of the world. You will find Buddhist temples in Japan use this. They also have in on their maps to denote a temple rather than neo-NAZI groups.
Will & Jim, many thanks for this information! It's so much more than a mere photography forum :)

It wouldn't be the first time an ancient and innocuous nature symbol was adopted by an evil right-wing movement. The sturdy elephant/mammoth, for example, appears in cave paintings...and was adopted by a certain political party in the US...:poke:

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.