The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

So here's one from 1960 - a Southern Region West Country class steaming up Honiton Bank in Devon. Agfachrome rather faded!

This is one from the same era, Western Region on the Dainton Bank in Devon. Considering the transparencies are over 50 years old they're not too bad. This was long before Kodachrome became available in 120 size. It of course was much more archival.

Lovely stuff Bill. In particular, I like the Dainton picture. Full of atmosphere in a way that no preservation era operation can ever quite capture. I am very jealous!

Ed Hurst

Ed...I love this picture!
It doesn't matter which camera or lens you used. I've found the 800E is great for B&W due to its DR.
Great series!

Pramote

Thanks Pramote - appreciate your positive feedback very much indeed.

By the way, that D800E shot used a Pentax 6x7 75mm f2.8AL lens with an adaptor (because it's what I happened to have on me and because it's a damn fine lens!).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Lovely stuff Bill. In particular, I like the Dainton picture. Full of atmosphere in a way that no preservation era operation can ever quite capture. I am very jealous!
Ditto. I'm actually too young to have enjoyed 'real' live steam (when those were taken!) vs hobby steam in the UK. That said, any steam is good steam in my book.

Ed Hurst

Being born in 1973, I also missed out on 'real' working steam in the UK, but did three trips to Inner Mongolia (in China) from 1999 - 2005 to experience it there while it was still possible - and the real thing has a quality you just can't recreate any other way. I wish I could do it again in Mongolia, but sadly it has all ended up there... One day I will get my 6x7 slides from that period properly scanned.

bensonga

South Australia. Not a very good example of its kind, but shows the expanse of space in this neck of the woods...
I promise that when I get my BMW 325Ci out of storage in May, I will go back and re-shoot this scene with my 645D and stand in the middle of the road for the correct perspective.

Until then....I humbly submit this image from Alaska. :eek:

There are not as many "wide open spaces" here.....too many mountains get in the way.

Gary

ondebanks

202FA + 110mm F2 + CFV16
One 16.7MP Kodak KAF16802 sensor images another, in a state of undress! Well this is Valentine's Day, after all...:grin:

Ray

PS I wonder if you attached that DCS645 to a body, aimed it squarely at the CFV16-equipped Hasselblad, and opened both shutters simultaneously...would the resulting images demonstrate quantum entanglement? Or a hall of mirrors effect - "I see you, seeing me, seeing you, seeing me, ..." :LOL:

Ben Rubinstein

Ed, utterly incredible railway shots. Some of the finest I've ever seen. Not just for the nostalgia of the subject matter but the feelings of the photographer towards them is so apparent in the pictures themselves.

D&A

Ed, utterly incredible railway shots. Some of the finest I've ever seen. Not just for the nostalgia of the subject matter but the feelings of the photographer towards them is so apparent in the pictures themselves.
I couldn't agree more! Ed your shots are not only stunning but evocative...a combination thats stunning!

Like many here I have a passion for "steam" but although as a very young toddler steam was still prevalent in very small pockets here on the east coast in the States, growing up in NYC prevented me from experiencing the real thing.

In the 1980's the mightly Norfork & Western resurrected running their famous "J" and a few other large steam engines and although they were simply rail fan trips as such, I got my first taste of what it must have been like. My favorite image of them (of mine) was taken on film chugging into a 1940's era station here where I live, and one being put on a rail turntable (turned 240 degrees around) that was still in actual use till a few years ago.

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

If you guys really want a hobby, then I would contact Preston Services:

PRESTON SERVICES ~ Steam Railway Locomotives

MFD is cheap.

As a kid, I loved and rode steam engines. They are amazing machines. Elegant and beautiful. I have a soft spot for large stationary engines in particular. I am also glad they are in limited service: they are dirty and inefficient.

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, in keeping with the theme Ed's outstanding pix initiated, here's a 1903 locomotive, allegedly (there is some debate) to be the first steam loco to exceed 100 mph. (Sorry it looks a little over sharpened.) Shot in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.