The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
Landscape Lover. Monument Valley. I think most of us have stood right there on that road, waiting for the cars to go away, trying to hide the roadsigns, and praying for clouds like you got. Very nice!

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Landscape Lover. Monument Valley. I think most of us have stood right there on that road, waiting for the cars to go away, trying to hide the roadsigns, and praying for clouds like you got. Very nice!
Thanks very much Vincent for your kind words!
I'd say hard work paid off. I was in the same spot 3 times in 2 days and waited for ~ 3 hours for the clouds to come (and cars not to significantly be in a view). Although the clouds were not perfect the way I liked to be, that's all I could get.
I've always spent a lot more time waiting rather than shooting. It's a good time finishing books!

Pramote

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member

This is a RAW unedited image. Sometimes you just get lucky. Click #125 after a thirty year hiatus. I have spent a lot of money since trying to get back the magic...

Nathan W. Lediard

Analogue dials...

(Talking of anologue, although I wouldnt want to go back to doing jobs with film, I wish I had more time to use my trusty analogue hassy.. it really is a great bit of kit)

yaya

Should have gone out 2 hours earlier to avoid the haze...a rare quiet and clear night for this winter...
240mm + 2x TC

Moon takes about 1000 pixels across so not bad for a 1MP image ;-)

Ed Hurst

Sorry for my slow reply - I am having internet issues at home.

Bill, Pramote, Graham, Ben, Dave and Pierrard - MASSIVE 'thank you's for your kind words. It's very humbling to get such nice comments, especially from guys like you.

Great to see other people's steam shots as well :). Nathan - those pics are on the Bluebell Railway, aren't they?

Warmest regards,

Ed

Ed Hurst

One of the pictures I took in Inner Mongolia in (I think) 2005 (Pentax 67ii with Velvia 100F):

[/url] Jing Peng Pass-600 dpiStep10SSsRGBUKRP by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (110k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

This was a very hard picture to get. This section of track is only lit from this side in the winter for about 20 mins a day (before that it is in shadow - after that, the light has moved around so that the side of train would not be lit). The line operated mostly freight trains - without a timetable - so hard to know if a train would come at the right moment. The prevailing wind is from the west, so the steam would usually blow down and spoil the shot. It is at the top of a very tricky climb in the snow. I tried it many times and only got the picture right on the last day of my very last trip there (before the steam engines were all scrapped). This should have been 'the one that got away'; I was only there on that day because our stay in the area had been extended due to a friend dislocating his knee. His bad luck had this positive benefit for the remaining group of friends who could still shoot...

Oh, and it was -30 degrees Celsius plus windchill!

Status
Not open for further replies.