The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One of the pictures I took in Inner Mongolia in (I think) 2005 (Pentax 67ii with Velvia 100F):

[/url] Jing Peng Pass-600 dpiStep10SSsRGBUKRP by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (110k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

This was a very hard picture to get. This section of track is only lit from this side in the winter for about 20 mins a day (before that it is in shadow - after that, the light has moved around so that the side of train would not be lit). The line operated mostly freight trains - without a timetable - so hard to know if a train would come at the right moment. The prevailing wind is from the west, so the steam would usually blow down and spoil the shot. It is at the top of a very tricky climb in the snow. I tried it many times and only got the picture right on the last day of my very last trip there (before the steam engines were all scrapped). This should have been 'the one that got away'; I was only there on that day because our stay in the area had been extended due to a friend dislocating his knee. His bad luck had this positive benefit for the remaining group of friends who could still shoot...

Oh, and it was -30 degrees Celsius plus windchill!
Great shot and story. Is this the railway that extends to the northwestern part of China? I always dreamed of going there during winter to take photos of steam engines. Very, very envious... :)

Shashin

Ed, I can't think of a single pun using the words "steam, "engine," nor "railway." I seem to have lost track of my thoughts. I will have to train harder. Great set. BTW, when I was looking to buy my 645D, your Scottish Highlands image was one that I had found.

tsjanik

Great series Ed. I don't have many train shots and certainly nothing as dramatic as yours, but one I'm fond of is from New Zealand in 1996. Not MF, Pentax LX, 300mm M* and Kodachrome.

Tom

DS100102122805 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Last edited:

Nathan W. Lediard

Great to see other people's steam shots as well :). Nathan - those pics are on the Bluebell Railway, aren't they?

Warmest regards,

Ed
Yes Ed, The Bluebell railway indeed! I was there with my family whilst holidaying in my home country in 2012, 4 stations, each one done in the style of a different decade, no wonder the BBC period program producers love the place!

citizin

Since there's so many pics of trains I thought I'd drop in a oldie that was shot in a sunken barge.

hasselblad + bron combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.