The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

laopai

My Father died in May 1940, at age 29. I was three. He was an electrical engineer, and raised on Long Beach Island, NJ, and a nationally known fine art photographer, having been published in national magazines. His negatives were lost for 72 years and recently found and returned to me. I just started going through them. I scanned the negative on a high end, high resolution film scanner, and I interpreted the negative in the spirit and style of Alexander Gurtcheff. Hope you like it
NOTE: The camera was I Zeiss Super Ikonta A with Tessar lens, which my Mother saved for me.
This is a great story! Wonderful pictures too.

May I ask the permission to re-post these in a Chinese photography site (www.xitek.com)? Of course I will do the translation. It is the largest online community of photography in China. And I am a frequent contributor and a moderator there.

Thanks for sharing!

laopai aka 老派

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Fuji 617/Fuji 90mm/Fuji Velvia 50

I did not use the Flextight 646 for 5 years! Tonight, I just wanted to see whether the scanner still works.
After experimenting with digital cameras for several years, I may go back to my root again.
This photo proves to me that the "Velvia" is always "Velvia", nothing can replace. It may have grain, odd
colors and may not as sharp but it is "classy".
________________________________________________________________________________________
Pramote
http://pramotelaoprasert.zenfolio.com/

Last edited:

gurtch

This is a great story! Wonderful pictures too.

May I ask the permission to re-post these in a Chinese photography site (www.xitek.com)? Of course I will do the translation. It is the largest online community of photography in China. And I am a frequent contributor and a moderator there.

Thanks for sharing!

laopai aka 老派
I would be very happy and honored to have you post for me.
Best regards
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

D&A

Terrific Images Dave! He certainly had a photographic eye for shapes and tectures as well as composition. I especially love the the firsta nd last of the four posted images (the sand around the wooden piers and the rope and chain image). What an exceptional gift it must be for you to be able to view these images. I have a few random pictures from my own dad and I cherish them. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you Vincent. Here are three more. One is significant to me because in 77 years of coming to LBI (NJ shore) I have never seen the ocean frozen. All taken with Super Ikonta A with uncoated Tessar lens
Dave in NJ
Dave...
Timeless!!! Very inspirational.
Thanks very much for posting.
Pramote

gurtch

Terrific Images Dave! He certainly had a photographic eye for shapes and tectures as well as composition. I especially love the the firsta nd last of the four posted images (the sand around the wooden piers and the rope and chain image). What an exception gift it must be for you to be able to view these images. I have a few random pictures from my own dad and I cherish them. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Dave (D&A)
Thanks all for the comments about my Dad's pictures. Here is a picture I made which tells part of the story:

gurtch

One of my favorites from my Father's lost for 72 years negatives. His artistic eye, and feelings for me, in one photo. It is my cousin and I around 1939
Dave in NJ

tsjanik

Thanks all for the comments about my Dad's pictures. Here is a picture I made which tells part of the story:
Great story Dave. Interesting aspect of film: you have the film your father loaded (and developed?). It was there when he took the shot and saw the same light he did. That's an emotional and physical connection that a digital file could never carry.

Tom

gurtch

Yes, my Father had a darkroom and processed and printed all his negatives. I inherited his Omega Super B enlarger, which I used when I built my darkroom.
Yes, looking at his negatives gives me a rush.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.