The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

Dave, deep down you have to believe your dad is somehow aware that you're carrying on his photographic legacy. No doubt he'd be proud. Truly inspiring work on both your parts.
Dave (D&A)

D&A

Vincent, I simply move the camera during the exposure and then process accordingly.
Oh come on! It's better to say you spent the better part of the day working out and implementing the technique to achieve such an effect and it can't be duplicated by just anyone...LOL.

Other than that, it reminds me of some turn of the century image (re: early 1900's)....Except your's is in color :).

Nicely done Will!

Dave (D&A)

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you. Coming from you, I consider that a great compliment to my Dad's work. I have long been an admirer of your work.
Kindest regards
Dave
Thanks very much for your kind words! I've really meant every single words I said.

Your dad's work has inspired me to concentrate more on B&W work. His work makes me realize I've had a lot to learn especially composition. This level of inspiration hasn't happened to me for a long time.

I've bought lots of films last week and will start to use film/scanner again.

Thanks again for giving me inspiration.

Pramote

tsjanik

A very difficult winter in the NE US this year. A struggle to survive for many. Tens of thousands of waterfowl and gulls (no exaggeration) are crowded into the Dunkirk, NY harbor, which has a power plant whose cooling water keeps a portion of the harbor ice-free. This morning, there were also 15 bald eagles, both young and mature, looking for fish, an occasional gull and likely a duck. The first shot shows a few eagles standing on the ice beyond a area kept ice-free by the movement of the ducks . Second shot a portrait one of the adult eagles.
Third, some of the ducks trying to make it through winter. Sadly I saw more than a few ducks frozen on the shore.

_IGP0939 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP1004 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP0966 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

D&A

Tom, it has been a tough winter for wildlife in many parts of the country and sad for those ducks. Your image of the eagle is terrific! Was this taken with the 600 mm and is the image full frame?

Dave (D&A)

laopai

Thanks....I bought a Used Nikon Coolscan 8000 with glass negative carrier, on ebay. I was using a Polaroid 120 Sprintscan but it died when we were homeless for 6 months thanks to Hurricane Sandy. I had about 45 years of darkroom experience before switching to digital, so I know the "look" of burning in edges and corners, dodging shadows, etc, so I used these techniques on my father's negatives. In the darkroom, I would use a piece of cardboard to hold back the foreground while burning in the sky. With these negatives, I put the foreground and sky on their own layers, then apply levels to each separately, treating each as if it were a picture on it's own right. I have found that the old Zeiss camera and uncoated Tessar lens vignettes naturally, so only a little corner/ edge burning in is required. I am really loving doing this, since I was three years old when my Dad died at age 29. When I look at my own work, then look at my Dad's negatives, I cannot believe they came from two people that did not really know each other.
Best regards
Dave
Nice! And thank you, Dave.

I have a 9000ED myself. But hasn't used it for almost three years. While enjoying your digitizing works (on top of your father‘s wonderful pictures), I am thinking of start to scan all my films accumulated in the past 30 years.

It's inspiring.

laopai

laopai

THANKS, I visited the site. Wonderful!
Best regards
Dave
Hi Dave,

You are welcome.

Now it's close to 2000 views. A lot of people love the picture with the two kids running!

I will keep updating the thread as long as you update here.

Happy digitizing!

laopai

laopai

Thanks very much for your kind words! I've really meant every single words I said.

Your dad's work has inspired me to concentrate more on B&W work. His work makes me realize I've had a lot to learn especially composition. This level of inspiration hasn't happened to me for a long time.

I've bought lots of films last week and will start to use film/scanner again.

Thanks again for giving me inspiration.

Pramote
True.

I even think these pictures deserve an independent thread.

laopai

tsjanik

Tom, it has been a tough winter for wildlife in many parts of the country and sad for those ducks. Your image of the eagle is terrific! Was this taken with the 600 mm and is the image full frame?

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave:

Thanks, all were taken with the 600mm and 1.4x. Very sharp if you can prevent any movement of the camera. All images are crops.

Tom

D&A

Hi Dave:

Thanks, all were taken with the 600mm and 1.4x. Very sharp if you can prevent any movement of the camera. All images are crops.

Tom
Thanks Tom...complete agree. The 1.4x combined with the 600mm is optically terrific. Best use of the 1.4x in my opinion....but as you say, stability is the key. I really should add and update my lens test posting of the 600mm, the 1.rx and a few other things. Things have been so hectic that I never got around to it. Hoping at some point to do so.

Dave (D&A)

Ed Hurst

Hi Dave:

Tom
Hi Tim,

I've got this lens and the 1.4x but have yet to use the combo much. Are these all taken with the tripod and full support system we have discussed before, or can you get away with faster shutter speed shots using less support?

D&A

Hi Tim,

I've got this lens and the 1.4x but have yet to use the combo much. Are these all taken with the tripod and full support system we have discussed before, or can you get away with faster shutter speed shots using less support?
Ed, I'll let Tom of course respond to your question regarding his observations and experience with this lens and converter. For myself, due to a number of reasons, , I haven't yet set up quite the stationary support Tom has for the 600mm +1.4x (and of which he's illustrated in past postings).... but I've personally found when comparing what I consider good support for this combination (sufficiently large Gitzo tripod and head along with a Manfrotto long lens support) vs. (in comparison) the Wimberely Gimbal head that I use for tracking, both give similar results with regards to vibration reducing sharpness.

In other words, I found what appeared to be little loss of potential sharpness. Of course I haven't tried a 3 point support system yet. I presume I might be able to eek out more with Tom's set-up but I then wouldn't have the mobility I often need. It's a tradeoff. Just some personal observations of mine.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.