The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

laopai

It was some jet lag after a two-week trip to Hong Kong that woke me up early so I visited Stanford with my 645D (and tripod). I didn't expect the sprinklers to go off when I was releasing the shutter...

Anyway. The lens is DFA 55mm/2.8. ISO200. F9. 1/25sec.

gurtch

Three more from my father's lost for 72 years negatives. All made with Zeiss super Ikonta "A" & Zeiss 70mm Tessar, Compur Shutter
Thanks for looking and the kind words
Dave in NJ

D&A

Thanks for pointing that out...very strange. I have only found one negative so far. If there are two negs, they must have been taken close to the same time, as the sky is the same (the burning & dodging original darkroom vs my digital approximation not withstanding). The round bit missing is strange. Had it been missing in my print, one could say I eliminated it digitally (I didn't).
Best regards
Dave
Dave, as stated by others...what a terrific find and a Zeiss cover no less! You should write Zeiss and share the story of recovering his negatives, including the cover one. I bet they'd be very interested.

Regarding the Zeiss cover and your scan of the same (very similar image), they appear to also be different in the way the formation of the clouds is slightly different. Look at the middle right side of the sky and there is a small cloud that sort of has dissipated in the scanned version. As you say, each of these images were probably shot within a minute of each other.

Looking at all the new images you posted, it's evident he had a knack for capturing images that contained competing and.or contrasting various textures...whether it be the patterns of the sea, sand, or man made structures like wooden fencing, ropes or chains. Fascinating!

Dave (D&A)

jerome_m

Regarding the Zeiss cover and your scan of the same (very similar image), they appear to also be different in the way the formation of the clouds is slightly different.
The waves are also a bit different. Watch the one directly to the right of the boat (much darker on the magazine) and the one to the left of the rope (two in the magazine versus one in the negative). Even more obvious: the sun is under the cloud in the Zeiss picture and over the cloud in the negative. That would give us a time difference of possibly a minute, depending on the wind.

I would imagine that two similar pictures were taken that day and one negative was sold (so you won't find it). Possibly, some elements moved (like one of the three clumps left of the picture and under the rope), the framing was moved a bit to the right and the magazine edited out some details (like the round bit at the back of the boat).

Ed Hurst

Yesterday, my partner and I had a grand adventure that will change our worlds for the rest of our lives. These are some shots I took today handheld using the 645D and 55mm lens handheld...

[/url]
_IGP6674Step6CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6682Step6CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6689Step5CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6691Step5CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6695Step7CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6697Step6CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

Bildifokus

Yesterday, my partner and I had a grand adventure that will change our worlds for the rest of our lives. These are some shots I took today handheld using the 645D and 55mm lens handheld...

[/url]
_IGP6674Step6CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6682Step6CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6689Step5CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6691Step5CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6695Step7CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]
_IGP6697Step6CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (125k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]
Congrats!

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

Congrats Ed!

Pramote

gurtch

Hi all:
More from my father's lost for 72 years negatives. I have concentrated in bringing back to life the "fine art" images so far. Now I am bringing you some of the island's history. Here are some from my father's collection of "pound boat" images...truly "men at work". Several of our more senior friends here had Fathers and Grandfathers in the pound fishery business...long since gone. Hearty Norwegians who went several miles at sea in glorified row boats, Planted pilings in the ocean, and strung "pound nets" from them. Every morning before sunrise, they would go to sea to empty their catch into the boats. They were then separated into woven baskets as to type, size, etc.
Thanks for looking. Enjoy
Dave

Ed Hurst

Thanks to all the people who have sent me kind wishes - hugely appreciated! And yes, I will post some more images of him when I get time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.