The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmvdigital

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Tom, here's a handheld shot of my fiancee and little man Parker. Yes, that's a wig. Happy belated Halloween.

PS: Yeah the skintones are bad. Pay no attention.

fotografz

With the title of the thread im a curious about the following:
Images presented here are stunning and many(most/all) of them show the great tones and detail of digital MF.
I feel though that 80-90% are either landscapes, architecture or medium distance, mostly static details.

I now ask myself if digital MF is mostly limited to those subjects (because of DOF, noise at higher ISO and slowish AF or MF)

Do you guys also shoot people, do you use your MF-camera for more casual things, do you bring it when you travel, when you walk hroughthe city, do you take images of your family, or maybe even for some action ( I dont mean of you have to professionally shoot a soccer game)?

Or do you bring your M8 or D700 or 5d for those times and subjects.
How many percent of your shooting can be done with MF and how often do you need the speed and functions and flexibilty of a 1D or 5D or D700?

I mean how good and practicable is MF shooting for everyday use?

Cheers, Tom
All the time Tom. With both the Auto Focus H camera and the Manual Focus V cameras ... including a lot of candid wedding work with both cameras. You just don't hose off the shots like with other cameras ... which can be a darned good dicipline.

Here's a "getting ready" wedding shot from a 503CW with a Zeiss 50/4CFi shooting Tri-X:

Last edited:

fotografz

Oh, and yes Tom I carry a MF camera on my travels ... I have enough "snapshots" clogging up multiple hard-drives and am now more interested in more keepers of people and places.

Old country store shot: H3D-II/39 @ ISO 400, 1/25th shutter using the HC/50/3.2 ... 1/25th was possible by setting the mirror delay on the H camera.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I shoot EVERYTHING with MF or i don't shoot. LOL

Okay I do have a OLy 520 now and I cheated and shot a wedding reception but seriously i shoot everything and I shoot a lot of different stuff. Just shot a PR job, corporate meeting at ISO 800 150mm on a monopod. I maybe crazy but I ain't stupid, i use a monopod for many things. Main reason is it holds the camera . LOL

Guy Mancuso

Really quick one shot at ISO 800 150mm at F4 put back on tungsten. Pretty much out of the can . If i can get away with this than 35mm DSLR's will never exist again in my bag

Stuart Richardson

I will duly admit that I usually reach for something else unless I am sure I have the time and security to use MF digital. I still don't trust it enough for things I can't shoot again, so for that I shoot film, which I know I can always rely on, or the M8 and D3. If it absolutely has to get done properly or else, the D3 or an M7. They are the only cameras I trust implicitly.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Bob, that looks better. I was complaining to Doug about the crunchiness of the JPEG export with C1 Process tab (especially at small sizes), and he suggested using the export "Web Contact Sheet" option under the File menu (I think; it's not in the Process tab). This method uses the proxies C1 has stored in memory instead of rereading the the Raw file itself. For whatever reason, the Web Contact Sheet method produces much more acceptable JPEGs in my opinion.
Thanks for passing on that tip.
-bob

carstenw

That looks like a very large Russian doll storage building.

Marc, great shot in the store! Awesome colours. Did you have to do anything special to hold back the light behind him?

Paratom

Guy, Marc and Justin,
thanks for making clear that digital MF is not only for static subjects and commercial stuff. Great images to proove that too!
Tom

Guy Mancuso

It's a lot of fun but admittedly more work at it. Which i actually enjoy the challenge

jlm

Workshop Member

Mustard's is my favorite lunch spot

Stuart Richardson

This was with a 203FE and 110/2 on Acros. Unfortunately, the web pic is a bit too small to see the depth of field effect. It looks nice larger though. It was awhile ago that I took it, but I think the aperture was between f/4 and f/2. Only the telephone pole and fence are really in focus. I like using that slight blur to accentuate the subject, while still making the rest of the image recognizable. Eh, anyway.

Guy Mancuso

Not sure where to put this but heck it is fun. Shot at ISO 800 but pushed in C1 1 full stop effective ISO 1600. Not to bad , noise that is

s.agar

2 shots. H3DII-31 50mm C, 80mm HC
First one is from Chicago.
The last 2 are from Saint Jean Church near Ephesus in Turkey. The first one is the tomb of Saint Jean, and the second one is the ruins of the Church that was later built around it (in the 4th century). It is beleived that he took Mary to Anatolia to save her life, where she died also (Meryemana Church). I'm trying to document such important places in Turkey and abroad, and have a large collection of pictures and documentation. It's my second hobby after photography. These go together well.

Seyhun

Last edited:

Paratom

Stuart,
for my taste this is really a special image. Thanks for posting it. Tom

This was with a 203FE and 110/2 on Acros. Unfortunately, the web pic is a bit too small to see the depth of field effect. It looks nice larger though. It was awhile ago that I took it, but I think the aperture was between f/4 and f/2. Only the telephone pole and fence are really in focus. I like using that slight blur to accentuate the subject, while still making the rest of the image recognizable. Eh, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.