The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsjanik

Tom

I try, Arthur Koestler is one of my guiding lights but I also include, Iain McGilchrist, G Gurdjieff and the sufi writer Idries Shah amongst my influences and not a photographer amongst them.

I realise that this is not photography, but I am attempting to stay open to the images that rise up from my non verbal right hemisphere as a way of honouring the creative process. My photography and drawing are morphing together and I now see myself as an image maker rather than a photographer.

Also thank you to Mr Cooley and Mr Hurst for your positive response to my images.

Regards

Mal
Mal:

Would you mind sharing your process with this image? I am generally a literal photographer. You have posted images that display a combination of photography and drawing/painting. Sometimes, I find inspiration from painters. I have a series inspired by Mark Rothko*(example below): if I could devise a way to produce Paul Klee inspired images I would.
Your image may have started as a photograph, but has been completely transformed to a different medium.

Tom.

* I should likely cite Pete Turner's giraffe as well.

Mark Rothko appears in Lake Erie by tsjanik47, on Flickr

tsjanik

Sydney's annual Vivid festival is on now; it includes lighting installations across the city centre. I have not had much time to visit this year, but here are a couple I took on my way home yesterday...

[/url]_IGP9123Step13sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (150k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]
You could use the Opera House as a color checker :ROTFL:.

An OT observation: I grew up in southern California and as an adult have spent much time in Canada, mostly Ontario, but I've traveled from Nova Scotia to the west coat of Vancouver Island. When I visited Australia, my impression was that Australia was the British Empire's equivalent of California, while Canada was the equivalent of the remaining northern states in the US. I mean no offense to anyone by this remark, simply my observation that we all travel different roads but end up at the same place.

Tom

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Triumphant!

Best Regards,
-Son
What Son said. The Eilean Donan image is a different take on this that I like a lot more than the cliche shot (great as it is btw Mal!).

Buachaille Etive Mor - tough to shoot something new there without impressive weather I think. Still a nice image.

:thumbs:

etrump

Late last year I tested, fell in lust with and bought a Schneider LS 240mm f/4.5 lens I also picked up the 2x converter.

We returned to Jackson Hole WY in March spending a couple weeks shooting in the late winter and testing/getting more comfortable with the new lens. We've now been in Tucson going on 10-weeks and frankly I'm bored. The upside is that we'll be returning to Jackson soon and will continue to photograph a buffalo herd I've adopted and hopefully shoot landscape and wildflowers.

This is one of the test image I took in March. Standing on the Jackson Lake Dam early in the morning with steam/flog being generated from the water. Windy and cold as only this area can get. I took this handheld with the Phase DF/IQ160 digital back and the 240. F/11 1/320 ISO 50 and yes it's in color.

Love this Don!

This lens made me consider switching to the DF+ but then I had a peanut butter sandwich and the urge left me. Just not feeling the P1 body but still hoping for something special.

etrump

I thought this waterfall would be bigger. ;)

Still a totally inspiring subject. Would love to see it with less rain and more glacial water.

IQ180, Cambo AE, SK72, 2 Shot stitch:

Grayhand

One from the Thy nature reserve, Denmark.

It was a very contrasty scene in front of me and I was curious how well film could handle it.
I know from experience that this scene, I would not been able to handle with a digital camera in a simple way with out sacrifice either highlight or shadow detail, if I just shot one picture.

So I used my Mamiya with Portra 400 and the Voigtlander VC II Meter.
And I was impressed by the result of the Portra 400.
It is actually more contrasty in reality than what this photo shows.

And I am very pleased with the light meter, WAY better than the built in meter in the camera.

Ray

Mamiya 6, 75mm, Portra 400

Pemihan

Cottonwood growing in the opening of a cave, near Vermillion Cliffs NM, AZ.
Cambo WRS, IQ160, SK120 Aspheric - six images stitched.

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

What Son said. The Eilean Donan image is a different take on this that I like a lot more than the cliche shot (great as it is btw Mal!).

Buachaille Etive Mor - tough to shoot something new there without impressive weather I think. Still a nice image.

:thumbs:
Graham - My memory of the details of the landscape is not as fresh as I would like, but are you sure it's Buachaille Etive Mor? I had the impression it might be Stac Polly... Perhaps the photographer can confirm...

All the best,

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.