The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsjanik

Galway Bay

Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak DCS645M, 200/2.8 APO

Ray
Great shot Ray. The sense of movement of the windsurfer and the vastness of the sea just leaps from the image. On the other hand, the DR is terrible, the highlights are blown and the image is likely not very sharp. Just goes to show what's really important.

Tom

ondebanks

Great shot Ray. The sense of movement of the windsurfer and the vastness of the sea just leaps from the image. On the other hand, the DR is terrible, the highlights are blown and the image is likely not very sharp. Just goes to show what's really important.

Tom
Thanks, Tom! Yes, I did let the specular highlights blow at the time of capture, in order to get good tone in the sky and hill at the top. I further squeezed the DR in processing, and converted to B&W, to get that high contrast lithographic look in the sea. Converting to B&W also got rid of the strong colour aliasing in the surf - the photo was actually sharp enough for nasty specular aliasing.

Ray

Shashin

When you're shooting fence posts you need to watch where you're standing! Massassauga Rattlesnake. IQ180, Mamiya 150, shot hand-held in a bit of a hurry!
I suppose long focal lengths are useful as well--probably not ideal with a 28mm lens, not matter how sharp. ;)

Last edited:

pesto

These guys are an an important element in the environment and should respectfully be given their space. All too many people down here in paradise seem to see it as their responsibility to kill anything that is in any inconvenient for them. Leave them alone and they will not harm you.
I was trying to protect a very large canebrake rattlesnake several ago while he was trying to cross the road near my home and had to fight off one of the locals who wanted to make a belt out of him.

Don Libby

Testing the Schneider LS 240 with 2x converter.

The setup for these shots were using a Really Right Stuff Ground Pod and Ballhead with a Phase One DF/IQ160 attached. The Schneider LS240 and 2x converter was attached to the camera as well as my new angle finder. The ground pod was resting at it's lowest possible setting. I also used a remote shutter release.

Just in case you missed it - as soon as the converter is attached to the 240 it becomes a manual focus lens at f/9. I've not shot anything this small before so I thought it'd be a good test of both my skills as well as the camera.

One final thought - the camera was set up on the floor inside and I was shooting through the patio door. Five captures taken before being startled and leaving the rest are just as sharp as these. No post done other than opening in Capture One Pro before sending to Photoshop CC for cropping and Jpeg conversion.

I love my job!

Full frame

100% crop

Full frame

100% crop

The five images were all taken within the span of 60-seconds.

Don

malmac

Senior portrait of my son with P1 IQ160. Any comments for improvement would be appreciated. Thanks
The use of the selective DOF works quite well at the size I can see the image.

I do however find the background, while attractive in it's self a bit of a distraction, I would generally aim for a less busy background and usually I think a darker background for light skinned people is safer than a light background when working out doors.

I hope this makes sense.

Mal

tsjanik

The use of the selective DOF works quite well at the size I can see the image.

I do however find the background, while attractive in it's self a bit of a distraction, I would generally aim for a less busy background and usually I think a darker background for light skinned people is safer than a light background when working out doors.

I hope this makes sense.

Mal
I agree with Mal, I would add that although his facial expression is relaxed, the body appears tense, ready to spring from the sitting position.

ondebanks

Lovely snap...I do wonder if it would look even better if the top was cropped to show water only..

Best

Rob
Thanks, Rob! Your feedback is very welcome...Indeed, I considered that crop as well. In the end, I preferred the sense of place (my place) that came from including the top, over the more abstract cropped composition of the windsurfer "lost" in the endless ocean. But that's a personal thing.

It's nice to have produced an image that can work well in two different ways, with just a single modification.

Ray

flyrcairplanes

Thanks Malmac and Tsjanic. I appreciate the comments and I do agree that the background looks busy and it detracts from the senior. i guess I am still trying to find my style. I was hoping to bring more of the environment into the photo and try more full length and 3/4 length photos but maybe I am confusing the purpose of a senior portrait. The nice thing about the IQ 160 is that I can crop like crazy and still have a nice size print. Thanks again.

ondebanks

Thanks Malmac and Tsjanic. I appreciate the comments and I do agree that the background looks busy and it detracts from the senior. i guess I am still trying to find my style. I was hoping to bring more of the environment into the photo and try more full length and 3/4 length photos but maybe I am confusing the purpose of a senior portrait. The nice thing about the IQ 160 is that I can crop like crazy and still have a nice size print. Thanks again.
Another tip - I know little about portrait shooting, but from being the subject of a couple of portrait shoots (our engagement, wedding etc.), what I recall is that the pros were particulary fussy about what you might call "hand neatness" - fingers together and gently tucked inwards towards the palm. They had a particular aversion to any sort of "splayed bunch of bananas" layout of the fingers. Hope that helps.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.