The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsjanik

Nice. Is that image taken with your new Pentax 645Z, Tom? We're still waiting for your review... :D
LOL Ken. If Guy is the CEO of enablers in Dante's Inferno you must be the entire Board of Directors. It was taken with my old 645D; a two shot stack at f/8 with the 600mm. I don't have the Z yet, but the high ISO performance is a convincing improvement.

Tom

Last edited:

awolf

Really nice :thumbup:
Thank you. It is a 6 shots pano taken with a RD90MM. A 1.3G file, 78 X 36 inches at 300dpi, you can actually see people in windows, and count bricks on the walls. What a magnificent lens. Now if I only had a wall big enough to hang it on :confused:

Ed Hurst

Hi Ed,

How do you assemble the bracketed images? My latest attempts were no so successful, so I am a bit curious.

Great work, as usual!

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Erik - glad you like it :)

The pano was created using a method that was recommended to me here on this group a couple of years ago. It involves using PTGui to create a template for the stitch, then applying it.

Take all of the files shot at one exposure - usually the lightest one (or the mid-exposure one) - whichever one contains the most detail for the stitching to work with. Do the stitch as desired (PTGui has many options). Output the file. Then, within PTGui, save that stitch as a template. When you load the files at another exposure, you can apply the template - which guarantees that the exact same geometry, etc. have been applied - so they will exactly line up.

Having done that for each exposure, I then layer those files in PS - and use layer masks to brush them in as desired.

This method works much better than stitching each set of files in PS - because the different exposures get stitched differently due to differing details being visible at each exposure. It is also better than exposure blending each file before stitching - as you will find it very hard to do that consistently across the scene when you can only see a slice of it at a time.

It's a method that needs patience and a systematic workflow, but produces very controllable and precise results.

ErikKaffehr

Ed,

Thanks, I need to look into that.

I have some images that need that kind of treatment.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Erik - glad you like it :)

The pano was created using a method that was recommended to me here on this group a couple of years ago. It involves using PTGui to create a template for the stitch, then applying it.

Take all of the files shot at one exposure - usually the lightest one (or the mid-exposure one) - whichever one contains the most detail for the stitching to work with. Do the stitch as desired (PTGui has many options). Output the file. Then, within PTGui, save that stitch as a template. When you load the files at another exposure, you can apply the template - which guarantees that the exact same geometry, etc. have been applied - so they will exactly line up.

Having done that for each exposure, I then layer those files in PS - and use layer masks to brush them in as desired.

This method works much better than stitching each set of files in PS - because the different exposures get stitched differently due to differing details being visible at each exposure. It is also better than exposure blending each file before stitching - as you will find it very hard to do that consistently across the scene when you can only see a slice of it at a time.

It's a method that needs patience and a systematic workflow, but produces very controllable and precise results.

Status
Not open for further replies.