The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenfr

Burnt Trees and Fireweed in British Columbia, Canada. This forest had burned three times over the years. The fireweed in the autumn turns incredible colours. I was attracted to the colour in the fireweed contrasted against the burned trees. We were ten yards from a grizzly bear in this forest. We could hear it eating berries.

I have a few other compositions from this shoot. It is a great location to shoot with high resolution cameras that bring out all the details.

D&A

Interesting aspects of nature. Really love the bright colors of the fireweed as a contrast to the monochrom trees. Texture as you indicated enhances everything. Lovely image

One thing is concerning. You mean right by you was a bear eating berries? Wow, we definitely need to see pics of this bear and how the color of their fur contrasts with the fireweed. :) . Would definitely add additional subject matter to the image...LOL.

Dave (D&A)

stevenfr

Thanks Dave. I have photographed in this forest 8 times from a few days to a week over the last 20 years. The fireweed doesn't last for many years after the fires go through the forest. Eventually, the trees starting falling onto each other and it is even more difficult to get a composition that makes some sort of sense.

No photos of the grizzly bear. We were hiking through the bush and saw the bear, I could hear him swiping the bushes for berries, and than you could hear him chewing on the berries. Way to close, but it is hard to see anything in this forest. Luckily he heard us coming. My wife was not amused. There are a lot of bears in this area.

I am just printing this image for a show of 30 large scale prints. I found this image as I was looking at past shoots. I have other images from this area that have sold well. The prints need to be large to give the details meaning.

Steven

ejpeiker

Skellig Michael, Ireland - this is from the top of the island of Skellig Michael off of the County Kerry coast. The monastery was in operation from the 6th century to the 13th century and is now preserved as a World Heritage Site. It is where the closing scene of Star Wars - The Force Awakens was shot and requires a hike up a steep staircase to the top of the island after a 40 minute boat ride. The land in the far distance is Ireland and the smaller island in the middle ground is Small Skellig, a huge Northern Gannet colony... XF, IQ3100, SK 40-80mm @ 80mm

View attachment 125117

StoneNYC

Thanks Dave. I have photographed in this forest 8 times from a few days to a week over the last 20 years. The fireweed doesn't last for many years after the fires go through the forest. Eventually, the trees starting falling onto each other and it is even more difficult to get a composition that makes some sort of sense.

No photos of the grizzly bear. We were hiking through the bush and saw the bear, I could hear him swiping the bushes for berries, and than you could hear him chewing on the berries. Way to close, but it is hard to see anything in this forest. Luckily he heard us coming. My wife was not amused. There are a lot of bears in this area.

I am just printing this image for a show of 30 large scale prints. I found this image as I was looking at past shoots. I have other images from this area that have sold well. The prints need to be large to give the details meaning.

Steven
May I ask, coming from shooting a lot of LF images, I'm wondering what kind of f/stop you use to get that much depth? Or do you focus stack?

stevenfr

May I ask, coming from shooting a lot of LF images, I'm wondering what kind of f/stop you use to get that much depth? Or do you focus stack?
I have never used a focus stack. It would pretty tough with the images in the forest, a slight breeze would cause issues with an image like this. Fireweed tends to move with any slight breeze. I use Hyperfocal focus for a lot of my images, this one was at F16. When I switched to the Phase One XF it made it easier with the Hyperfocal focus calibration tool.

Steven

vieri

Sunrise at the Cinque Terre

Sunrise at the Cinque Terre, Italy. Leica S (007), Leica Summarit-S 35mm.

Thanks for viewing, best

Vieri

vieri

Re: The Arch, Playa de Campiecho, Asturias

Gorgeous, I just love Asturias! Too bad I photographed it with a 35mm full frame sensor camera and not my medium format gear so i can't share the photos here.
Thank you EJ, glad you enjoyed it! :)

One of the first real images I've made with my newly acquired IQ3 100 and HR 23. I'm not normally a UWA person but this scene seemed to call for it. f/11, 30s, ISO 50.

drevil

Staff member
Shot this during my last, weekly, hike on the Great Wall near Beijing.
First Image:
Contax 645 + 80mm F2 @F2.8 with IQ180
I Shot 4 images at quite wide aperture, to create a bit of a brenizer effect.

Contax 645 + 35mm F3.5 @F11 with IQ180

stevenfr

I titled this image Zebra Aspens. I have only seen these markings on a few aspen stands. It makes for a very graphic image. I have used it on numerous promo pieces in promoting my work.

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.