The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Gale

I was in Carrizo Plain for a few days. The dominate color is yellow and there are hundreds of acres made up mostly of Tidy-Tips and Gold Fields. I did find one area which had a verity of flowers which was refreshing. I've been to Carrizo many times over the years and I've never seen a bloom like this.

Mr.Gale

tcdeveau

Amidst all the excitement of my X1D arrival I started going through my Iceland pics some more. Here's some more ice. The detail in the ice is astounding when viewing the native files on the screen. Need to get some printed! 645z,
28-45mm, little stopper -Todd
IMGP4968.jpgIMGP5018.jpgIMGP4923.jpg

Quentin_Bargate

Love the colors here Quentin. You had been posting K-1 pixel shift images; have you done in comparison to the Fuji output?

Tom
I have now done a side by side test, between the K1, pixel shift, using the Pentax 15-30mm F/2.8 and the GFX, using the 32-64mm F/4 lenses.

Both cameras were on tripods, and both shots were at F/11, ISO100, 1/80 sec. either 2 sec self timer (K1) or remote release (GFX).

Both cameras were manually focused to try to achieve optimum focus accuracy (in live view for the Pentax).

Software used was SilkyPix. using my own defaults which involve slightly toned down sharpness.

The Pentax file was increased to 8256 pixels wide tio match the width of the Fuji file.

I don't pretend this is scientific, but is was useful - for me and my purposes.

Here is a link to the two shots, full resolution Jpegs. Warning: big files (saved at qualtiy 10 in Photoshop)

GFX image

Pentax K1 image

My own view, which does not entirely surprise me, is the the Pentax file just edges this test. This is logical, as I believe a muti-shot (pixel shifted) image of 36mp ought to equate to around 60mp or more Bayer in terms of resolution, plus the advantage of no moire. There are two areas to look at in particular. First, very slighty left of centre of each image is a Skylight. Notice the fine wire in the glass, visible in the Pentax image, not so visible in the GFX image. Also, at the top of the chimney top the left of that skylight is a chimey stack cover. The Pentax shows no moire, whereas the GFX image shows a touch.

Silkypix does a good but not a perfect job with subject movement of pixel shift files, and there are one or two distant moving branches not identifed by it.

hcubell

Spring is just starting to make an appearance in New England. X1D with XCD 90mm lens at f/16, !SO 800. Two shot stack processed in in Helicon Focus. N.B.: On a wide gamut monitor using Google Chrome, the image will appear somewhat oversaturated. It's not. The problem is with Chrome, as it is not color managed. OTOH, the this was taken just after sunrise when the light was quite warm, so the image may "deserve" a bit of a bump in saturation, which I did not apply in LR.

B_01457_58(HF)(B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg

tsjanik

I have now done a side by side test, between the K1, pixel shift, using the Pentax 15-30mm F/2.8 and the GFX, using the 32-64mm F/4 lenses.

My own view, which does not entirely surprise me, is the the Pentax file just edges this test. This is logical, as I believe a muti-shot (pixel shifted) image of 36mp ought to equate to around 60mp or more Bayer in terms of resolution, plus the advantage of no moire. There are two areas to look at in particular. First, very slighty left of centre of each image is a Skylight. Notice the fine wire in the glass, visible in the Pentax image, not so visible in the GFX image. Also, at the top of the chimney top the left of that skylight is a chimey stack cover. The Pentax shows no moire, whereas the GFX image shows a touch.

Silkypix does a good but not a perfect job with subject movement of pixel shift files, and there are one or two distant moving branches not identifed by it.
Thanks for the comparison Quentin. Very interesting and impressive; the Pentax holds more detail in the top of the cast-iron garden table as well. I note however that the purple fringing in the Pentax is largely absent in the Fuji. Did you attempt any PP to remove the fringing from the Pentax file?

Thanks again,

Tom

Had the day off, so took my son to the park.

Shot with the PhaseOne XF, IQ 150, SK80mm f/2.8 LS. 1 light (Godox AD600 into a 90cm Softlighter) camera left.

Spring is still setting in, i went to the park to look for fresh blooms, but its still cold here in Stockholm with a few snow showers today... Hope you enjoy the picture.

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks for the comparison Quentin. Very interesting and impressive; the Pentax holds more detail in the top of the cast-iron garden table as well. I note however that the purple fringing in the Pentax is largely absent in the Fuji. Did you attempt any PP to remove the fringing from the Pentax file?

Thanks again,

Tom
Tom, the Fuji lenses are very well corrected for fringing etc. CA is amost wholly absent. No adjustments on either file made to remove any fringing.

The Pentax K1 is essentially a moire free 60+mp or thereabouts equivalent camera when shot in Pixel shift mode. Problem is pixel shift can really only be used on a Tripod. Fine though with waterfalls etc, as the right software (essentially Silkypix) masks out moving areas of the image so you don't get weird effects. Also great with LED continuous lighting in a studio.

The Pentax 15-30mm lens also acquits itself well - make sure you get a good sample!

The test confirmed what I had expected. The Fuji though is a great camera for "normal" use.

tsjanik

Tom, the Fuji lenses are very well corrected for fringing etc. CA is amost wholly absent. No adjustments on either file made to remove any fringing.

The Pentax K1 is essentially a moire free 60+mp or thereabouts equivalent camera when shot in Pixel shift mode. Problem is pixel shift can really only be used on a Tripod. Fine though with waterfalls etc, as the right software (essentially Silkypix) masks out moving areas of the image so you don't get weird effects. Also great with LED continuous lighting in a studio.

The Pentax 15-30mm lens also acquits itself well - make sure you get a good sample!

The test confirmed what I had expected. The Fuji though is a great camera for "normal" use.

Well thank you again Quentin. Yours have been valuable posts for me. I have a 645Z, but find myself looking for an additional camera that is smaller without sacrificing too much in quality. I still use a Sigma DP2 occasionally, and as impressive as it is, I find it too limiting. I have seriously considered the Sony, but you and Michiel and others have convinced me about the K-1. Mine is on the way. I may try the Irix before the Pentax 15-30mm to keep the system as compact as possible.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.