The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Tim, you're really letting that Hassy rip.

How many of these shots are hand-held? How slow can you shoot with that 30mm and still get a sharp result consistently?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Wow, Tim, you're really letting that Hassy rip.

How many of these shots are hand-held? How slow can you shoot with that 30mm and still get a sharp result consistently?
All these are handheld with the single exception of the night shot, where the camera was on a ledge. About half those at 1/30th are good, maybe 60%. Some at even slower speeds are fine - it depends on what you can brace on, if there's wind etc. But I largely stick to 1/50th or better if I can, using the rear dial set as exposure comp to effectively bump up ISO so as to give me the shutter speed I need, because the X1D's auto-ISO algorithm doesn't work very well yet...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
So frustration in spite of some wonderful images?

My demo of the camera made it feel more like a cell phone appliance than a camera
but I assume that becomes a non-issue with experience with the camera.

Does the firmware make sense to you and does it seem stable?

Thanks,

Bob

tashley

Subscriber Member

My demo of the camera made it feel more like a cell phone appliance than a camera

Thanks,

Bob
Bob, it is so not stable. Mine, using recommended spec cards, sometimes randomly tells me that the card is too slow - but at least it keeps working. But it quite often gets into an error state that requires battery removal and it also often experiences a focussing brain fart where it becomes unresponsive to the focus ring or the focus button. It also starts up waaay too slowly, has poor battery life, is losing the black paint from its rear buttons and has a number of other irritating characteristics including really annoying purple fringing with the 30mm Lens.

It is, however, magnificent. The lenses are sharp as all hell and the files are gorgeous. ISO performance is good, DR is great, and most but not all aspects of usability are pretty good.

I wouldn't hand it back.

D

Deleted member 7792

I've been in Spain for a few days with the X1D. Here's a scattering of shots, mostly with the 30mm and some with the 90mm, taken with this amazing, frustrating, unusual camera... please excuse WB etc, I'm travelling with a craptop...
Well done Tim. I had missed your presence on this thread and welcome more of your X1D images. Initially, viewing the images at their GetDPI Web-reduced size, they didn't appear sharp. Then I tried saving the images to my desktop and viewing them at 100%. Voila!! Razor sharp edge-to-edge, excellent micro contrast and tonality with great colors (despite your "craptop"; an expression I hadn't heard before). I enjoyed your compositions very much and look forward to more.

All these are handheld with the single exception of the night shot, where the camera was on a ledge. About half those at 1/30th are good, maybe 60%. Some at even slower speeds are fine - it depends on what you can brace on, if there's wind etc. But I largely stick to 1/50th or better if I can, using the rear dial set as exposure comp to effectively bump up ISO so as to give me the shutter speed I need, because the X1D's auto-ISO algorithm doesn't work very well yet...
That's my experience as well. An easily hand-holdable camera at relatively low shutter speeds.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

Thanks,

Bob
Bob, it is so not stable. Mine, using recommended spec cards, sometimes randomly tells me that the card is too slow - but at least it keeps working. But it quite often gets into an error state that requires battery removal and it also often experiences a focussing brain fart where it becomes unresponsive to the focus ring or the focus button. It also starts up waaay too slowly, has poor battery life, is losing the black paint from its rear buttons and has a number of other irritating characteristics including really annoying purple fringing with the 30mm Lens.

It is, however, magnificent. The lenses are sharp as all hell and the files are gorgeous. ISO performance is good, DR is great, and most but not all aspects of usability are pretty good.

I wouldn't hand it back.
I had only one "No card" error on my recent five-day trip to the Smokies. With two batteries, I didn't concern myself with battery life because this camera is better than my Sony a7RII in that respect. The only brain farts were my own. :)

Like Tim, you'll have to pry this camera from my cold, dead hands. :thumbs:

Joe

"One step too far"
Some images from my weekend trip to Denmark some weeks ago. Location is Rydbjerg Knude Lighthouse, Løkken.
Leica S 006 with the great Summarit 120mm CS

L1008405.jpgL1008370.jpg

D&A

The colors and textures of springtime; Tidal Basin, Washington D.C.
Pentax 645D w/ FA 75mm, FA 120mm, FA 200mm

dave.gt

The colors and textures of springtime; Tidal Basin, Washington D.C.
Pentax 645D w/ FA 75mm, FA 120mm, FA 200mm
Loving these, they bring back memories. When exactly did you shoot these? Really nice captures and what could be more inspiring than an artist en plein air painting Sakuras in the Spring...

Status
Not open for further replies.