The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

Loving these, they bring back memories. When exactly did you shoot these? Really nice captures and what could be more inspiring than an artist en plein air painting Sakuras in the Spring...
Thanks ever so much for your kind words Dave, its greatly appreciated! A bit of a background. They certainly weren't from this year unfortunately, as it was the 1st time in almost 100 years that the Cherry Blossom buds were destroyed after a 22 degree overnight frost that unfortunately killed a large percentage of the already "starting to open" blossoms. These images were taken in 2011. For each year I rotate cameras and designate only one camera/per year among those I use, to capture the trees and festivities of the Cherry Blossoms. This happened to be 2011, just after I received my 645D and these images were the initial trial pics from that camera as opposed to the more traditional and cliche' Tidal basin images I and many others took of the monuments as backdrops to the trees later that week.

Actually my favorite images from other years were often taken with the Nikon's (DSLR's) where I took the time to set up aux. lighting, but haven't ever posted those in any of the appropriate forums.

I had planned to use the Pentax 645Z this year for the festival but unfortunately mother nature had other ideas for the trees. Much agree with you Dave, its always memorable down there during the month of April. Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

That, my friend, is an absolute cracker...
Thanks Tim. That's an expression I only hear on British TV (and had to Google it to make sure I understood). :)

And I agree with Alan, you are en fuego!

Here's one that is more in the "cliche" category than in the "absolute cracker" category. Tremont area of GSMNP. Cascade that is only present in the spring and early summer and is always in poor light.

X1D with XCD 30mm

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Tim. That's an expression I only hear on British TV (and had to Google it to make sure I understood). :)

And I agree with Alan, you are en fuego!

Here's one that is more in the "cliche" category than in the "absolute cracker" category. Tremont area of GSMNP. Cascade that is only present in the spring and early summer and is always in poor light.

X1D with XCD 30mm
Ahhh! Google - the thing that unites our two nations by explaining their one language to each other! I have an amusing story about an American grad student at Cambridge with me whose perpetual failure to adjust her use of the word 'pants' to fit in with the locals was the cause of many misunderstandings....

And I prefer the use of the word 'archetype' to 'cliché'. Particularly in the case of this lovely image!

ejpeiker

Fog rolling through the low lying areas just after sunrise at Point Reyes National Seashore - Drakes Beach, California. XF-IQ3100, SK 40-80 BR @ 65mm, ISO 50, f/11, 1/15s

CA_PointReyes24.jpg

photo-bowman

Ahhh! Google - the thing that unites our two nations by explaining their one language to each other! I have an amusing story about an American grad student at Cambridge with me whose perpetual failure to adjust her use of the word 'pants' to fit in with the locals was the cause of many misunderstandings....

And I prefer the use of the word 'archetype' to 'cliché'. Particularly in the case of this lovely image!
..... then you should try the irish!
They have their own way with words.....

D&A

Tim Wrote--->>>"And I prefer the use of the word 'archetype' to 'cliché'. Particularly in the case of this lovely image!"<<<

Tim, does that mean I have to change the word "cliché" I used in my post above (a few posts prior to yours and Joe's post) in order to conform to the social norms of Getdpi? :) Just asking...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

P.S...Now that I think of it, cliché generally relates to a thought or phrase, whereas archetype I believe refers to an example of something. I'm sure Tim and others far more versed in the use of the English language could elaborate far better than I could but it appears my use of cliché in the context used in my previous post, was incorrect.

Last edited:
A Dad & Son day out for some portraits in the beautiful evening light in Stockholm today...
PhaseOne XF, IQ150, SK80mm f/2.8. Strobe used was a Godox AD360II at 1/16th power triggered with the Cells II trigger, which quite surprisingly works really really well. I was synching beautifully at 1/1000th, 1/1200th of a second. I am getting better at using this system, although I have to admit, it took me quite a bit of getting used to and changing the way I shoot, once I started shooting with the P1 system.
But I'm learning every day and believe I'm getting better at it. Would like to know your thoughts.

Best regards,
Ray

Paul2660

One from last week in Yosemite, of 5 days, the last two were by far the best. On this afternoon, the light and clouds finally came together for me. Epic flooding in the park made for most interesting photography.
2 part horizontal pan, Phase One IQ3100, 35mm LS, C1 raw conversion and LR pano assembly.

Paul Caldwell

D&A

Wow, I spent most of my life there, and you captured it beautifully. Now, I must plan a visit to regenerate my life. Thanks for posting!:)
You're words are extremely kind, thank you!. It was my very first visit to that park and I was memorized by its combination of tranquility and natural beauty, having long read about its ever changing landscape year round. I've been itching to get back but life has a way of keeping one busy. I am ever so grateful to another Getdpi forum member who's invitation to join him photograhing the park made it possible. His wonderful and inspiring images grace these pages.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

vieri

Playa Ballota, Asturias

Playa Ballota is a great location - the islet is a spectacular background, and there is plenty of foreground interest. Just love it!!

Leica S (Typ 007), Leica Summarit-S 35mm. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

dave.gt

You're words are extremely kind, thank you!. It was my very first visit to that park and I was memorized by its combination of tranquility and natural beauty, having long read about its ever changing landscape year round. I've been itching to get back but life has a way of keeping one busy. I am ever so grateful to another Getdpi forum member who invitation to join him photograhing the park made it possible. His wonderful and inspiring images grace these pages.

Dave (D&A)
Yeah, I am awaiting the H5D-50c, and I can't wait to get back up there in July. Maybe I can meet you two one day and you can show me how to make painterly landscapes like that!:)

D&A

Yeah, I am awaiting the H5D-50c, and I can't wait to get back up there in July. Maybe I can meet you two one day and you can show me how to make painterly landscapes like that!:)
You have it backwards...it's I who will be depending on both of you (and others present) to provide me with inspiration!

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.