The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltona

Its been awhile since I've ventured out, up at 3:30 am, had a location in mind, the inversion was a bonus.
Mamiya 6454Df Phase One P21 35mm.

CF065302-Pano.jpg

Michiel Schierbeek

CARTE POSTALE REVISITED # 3 Fresnoy-FolnyDoing a little project for our village here in France. Collecting old postcards is a big hobby over here.
I am now photographing the same scenes as the old postcard photographers did in the old days.
Finding the exact point of view and give it that unreal postcard look.

Pentax 645Z + 45-85

D&A

CARTE POSTALE REVISITED # 3 Fresnoy-FolnyDoing a little project for our village here in France. Collecting old postcards is a big hobby over here.
I am now photographing the same scenes as the old postcard photographers did in the old days.

Pentax 645Z + 45-85

I find this type of specific project fascinating. Here in the States and I'm sure elsewhere, there are books entitled "Then and Now", or some similarly themed title. Side by side are a pair of photographs, one taken decades ago and another taken recently from the same spot, showing the development, changes and/or progress made at that location or simply depicts how time has marched on. It often opens the doors to simple questions, like are the external red bricks of the building in your image, simply covered up with present day wood (and why?), or have the original red bricks for some reason removed and replaced by the wood?

Definitely sounds like a fun project to work on, especially when a bit of the history is known about the evolving changes depicted.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Working for a commission to do a houseful of large images in California and didn't have enough images that would print large enough and to the quality I'd expect.

Macro of a piece of sliced and polished agate. The original image was a ten focus stack on IQ3-100 with XF and 120mm macro @ f11 with twin profoto heads in a carefully controlled setup so as to remove reflections. The stacked image was then photoshopped so as to double the canvas size and paste , rotate and flip the image on a new layer and join it up with itself.

The resulting file is over 17,000 pixels wide and will print to 2.4 metres. Let's hope it proves acceptable when I've finished tinkering....

athimbleofdan

So...Am I the only one who's not loving the 50mp CMOS backs/cameras? Ive been really underwhelmed after playing with them and looking at files. If it wasn't for firewire at the end of its lifespan, Id continue to rock these older P backs. Tempted by the IQ160..the LCD upgrade is definitely welcomed.

jng

So...Am I the only one who's not loving the 50mp CMOS backs/cameras? Ive been really underwhelmed after playing with them and looking at files. If it wasn't for firewire at the end of its lifespan, Id continue to rock these older P backs. Tempted by the IQ160..the LCD upgrade is definitely welcomed.
I have no direct experience with the 50 Mp CMOS backs. I'm still loving the IQ160, however...

- John

501CM | 250 SA | IQ160
Dusk, Valley of the Gods by John Ngai, on Flickr

D&A

Late afternoon Autumn sprinkles inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Pentax 645D, FA 45-85mm

M

mjr

Morning

In the last couple of days everything has burst in to life here, all the waterfalls are in full flow again.

Michiel Schierbeek

I find this type of specific project fascinating. Here in the States and I'm sure elsewhere, there are books entitled "Then and Now", or some similarly themed title. Side by side are a pair of photographs, one taken decades ago and another taken recently from the same spot, showing the development, changes and/or progress made at that location or simply depicts how time has marched on. It often opens the doors to simple questions, like are the external red bricks of the building in your image, simply covered up with present day wood (and why?), or have the original red bricks for some reason removed and replaced by the wood?

Definitely sounds like a fun project to work on, especially when a bit of the history is known about the evolving changes depicted.

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave, A friend of mine from the village came to me with a bunch of photo copys of old postcards to photograph them again. I hope to scan the originals as well soon.
A lot of houses are covered with artificial wood (plastic) with insulation behind it. Relativly there doesn't change much in these villages. A lot is still the same or renovated.
And new houses are build of course.

Michiel Schierbeek

(Our house on the left)

Pentax 645Z + 45-85

tashley

Subscriber Member
And a different piece of agate today - I'm getting this down to a couple of hours from setup to print. XF focus stack function and profoto integration make this such a pleasure. This would fill a large wall (say up to 10 feet wide) without breaking sweat and in enormous detail.

Last edited:

Deltona

I Think that ome is amazomg. Seems getting up early was worth it!
Yes I have done this trip a few times and left with nothing. The only trouble with shooting in the spring/summer is getting up at daft o clock. All the elements I wished for came together. The inversion grew from a fairly small patch to covering the entire valley within an hour, amazing to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.