The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

algrove

1. A7r w/ Sony 35 f/2.8 up rezzed
  2. Oly (can't remember which one) and clueless on lens
  3. Leica MM with 28mm summicron and you hand-colored the whole thing

If it is the last one you missed your calling. :cool:

Dave
Understand your post, BUT it is the MF Images thread so none of the above count. Perhaps it's his old Hasselblad SWC or 503CW.

Deltona

Very nice!

I have been reading your blog the last few weeks and I am inspired! You are getting great results with that back! One wonders why they are so hard to find but then so are photographers who can get the most out of them!:thumbup:
Thanks Dave, nice to know that, I struggle putting my thoughts into words though. I will keep plugging away though :)

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Pramote, I'm a fan of tree compositions as everyone on this thread knows. Your shot is one of the best "trees in a forest" compositions I've seen recently (or ever). It's difficult to get a clean composition when in the middle of what seems to be chaos, but you did it. Well done. :thumbup:

Joe
Joe...Thank you very much for your comment. It means a lot coming from you.
We drove in there by accident (first stop at ONP) and if we didn't see a local, we probably would drive back out to the main road. It was the most amazing moss and ferns rainforest I'd ever seen. We were there by ourselves for several hours. It was such an incredible experience.

Pramote

tashley

Subscriber Member
Understand your post, BUT it is the MF Images thread so none of the above count. Perhaps it's his old Hasselblad SWC or 503CW.

it's the Only Em1.2 with 12-100 F4 Pro lens - and though it's not from a medium format camera, it kind of is in the ballpark of a medium format image. I upgraded to the Mk II from the Mk 1 because the eternal quest continues for a one-lens travel kit that is weatherproof and hardy, has a large zoom range, enough DR, good enough ISO performance (i.e. rarely used over 800) and really good stabilisation. Also, just in case a scene presents itself that I might later want to print to larger sizes, a fighting chance of a higher res image that will stand up to reasonable inspection.

Increasingly my feeling is that those who end up with my images framed on their walls simply aren't anywhere near as concerned about ultimate image IQ as I am. It's hard to let go, but the scene itself is what grabs their attention and non-obvious deficiencies in the print simply don't bother them (unless they are also medium format photographers!)

So my feeling so far with the Oly is that, provided one has a travel tripod to hand and provided that there's no movement in the scene (both big 'ifs') then it could be pushed to a 44" print....

So I posted an example here because I know I'm not the only person looking for medium format sized prints in a more useable form-factor...

M

mjr

Hi Tim

As someone who travels an awful lot with medium format gear, I too have looked for alternatives but for me, and sorry for saying this, that full size jpeg is nowhere near good enough for a client, I would feel extremely bad about selling that, the subject is nice enough and I am sure there are many who wouldn't care about the detail outside of the photography world but speaking personally, there's just no way that would pass.

I think the way to get MF quality in a travel package is to get a smaller MF camera, I think you have the X1D and I have the GFX, I would carry it anywhere and consider it the ideal solution to the need for MF quality without all the weight, at least compared to the XF and Phase back plus a couple of lenses.

There's obviously a lot of movement in this image which doesn't help at all but even areas that seem as though they were still just don't have the tone or depth, image quality like this is what keeps me firmly invested in MF.

Don't mean to sound harsh! Just my opinion, stick with the X1D!

Mat

JohnBrew

Tim, with all respect due you for your articles, tests and the old blog (which I read vociferously), this is just another one of those "my 35mm is as good as your MF" posts which show up from time to time and are quite BORING. It belongs in the Oly forum. You do still have the X1D?

If I'm out of line here I will gladly remove this post.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, with all respect due you for your articles, tests and the old blog (which I read vociferously), this is just another one of those "my 35mm is as good as your MF" posts which show up from time to time and are quite BORING. It belongs in the Oly forum. You do still have the X1D?

If I'm out of line here I will gladly remove this post.
Not out of line at all. All is nuance. Though I didn't say it was 'as good as' I merely observe that with the wind in the right direction it might, for certain subjects, be a substitute.

I do still have the X1D and it's great but... the Oly has amazing stabilisation and, with this lens, a great zoom lens with good quality throughout. There are plenty of situations where I'd get a better shot, and print, from either....

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim

As someone who travels an awful lot with medium format gear, I too have looked for alternatives but for me, and sorry for saying this, that full size jpeg is nowhere near good enough for a client, I would feel extremely bad about selling that, the subject is nice enough and I am sure there are many who wouldn't care about the detail outside of the photography world but speaking personally, there's just no way that would pass.

I think the way to get MF quality in a travel package is to get a smaller MF camera, I think you have the X1D and I have the GFX, I would carry it anywhere and consider it the ideal solution to the need for MF quality without all the weight, at least compared to the XF and Phase back plus a couple of lenses.

There's obviously a lot of movement in this image which doesn't help at all but even areas that seem as though they were still just don't have the tone or depth, image quality like this is what keeps me firmly invested in MF.

Don't mean to sound harsh! Just my opinion, stick with the X1D!

Mat

Don't get me wrong. Even with a perfect subject with no moving parts, neither the resolution nor the tonality gets close to good MF. But the Oly has a vastly wider shooting envelope than my IQ3-100 or X1D and is smaller and lighter, so much better suited to travel.

I'm constantly amazed at the way in which non-photographers look at images. I tell them 'this image will not go above X inches wide' and they say, just do it. If it looked terrible I wouldn't. But to them, if the subject is right, it fills the wall they want filling. It's taken me years to accept this - though I do own an extremely large Burtynsky which at close range is not of a quality I would have allowed out the door until recently... so, as a consumer rather than a producer, I accepted this quite some time ago...

M

mjr

I do get what you're saying Tim, for me if I need perfect conditions and a tripod to get something that still isn't as good as MF then I just wouldn't bother and go with the MF, but that's just me, there's as many ways of doing it as there are photographers.

Anyway, here's a quick shot from just now, torrential rain here for over a week now, rivers and waterfalls are flowing really well, there was a half hour break in the clouds so I took a quick walk, just the GFX and the 110 with a polariser in a small bag and grabbed this just as it started to pour down again.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I do get what you're saying Tim, for me if I need perfect conditions and a tripod to get something that still isn't as good as MF then I just wouldn't bother and go with the MF, but that's just me, there's as many ways of doing it as there are photographers.

Anyway, here's a quick shot from just now, torrential rain here for over a week now, rivers and waterfalls are flowing really well, there was a half hour break in the clouds so I took a quick walk, just the GFX and the 110 with a polariser in a small bag and grabbed this just as it started to pour down again.

Gorgeous. And the Olympus would have made a hash of that water.... :)

Grayhand

AFDlll, P45+. Hartblei 45

It´s hard for me to define why I work mainly with a medium format camera.

The list starts with the tactile experience of working with a medium format camera.
--long list here---
And ends with the result out of the sensor or film

But I really don´t try to define it anymore.
It is much simpler that way.

But life would be even more simpler if I was satisfied to work only with my excellent X-Pro2..

Ray

Mark C

AFDlll, P45+. Hartblei 45

It´s hard for me to define why I work mainly with a medium format camera.

The list starts with the tactile experience of working with a medium format camera.
--long list here---
And ends with the result out of the sensor or film

But I really don´t try to define it anymore.
It is much simpler that way.

But life would be even more simpler if I was satisfied to work only with my excellent X-Pro2..

Ray
Nice image there and well said re the use of the MF camera :thumbup:

algrove

it's the Only Em1.2 with 12-100 F4 Pro lens - and though it's not from a medium format camera, it kind of is in the ballpark of a medium format image. I upgraded to the Mk II from the Mk 1 because the eternal quest continues for a one-lens travel kit that is weatherproof and hardy, has a large zoom range, enough DR, good enough ISO performance (i.e. rarely used over 800) and really good stabilisation. Also, just in case a scene presents itself that I might later want to print to larger sizes, a fighting chance of a higher res image that will stand up to reasonable inspection.

Increasingly my feeling is that those who end up with my images framed on their walls simply aren't anywhere near as concerned about ultimate image IQ as I am. It's hard to let go, but the scene itself is what grabs their attention and non-obvious deficiencies in the print simply don't bother them (unless they are also medium format photographers!)

So my feeling so far with the Oly is that, provided one has a travel tripod to hand and provided that there's no movement in the scene (both big 'ifs') then it could be pushed to a 44" print....

So I posted an example here because I know I'm not the only person looking for medium format sized prints in a more useable form-factor...
Understand, but sorry-wrong thread as this thread is not about ballpark images-instead MF images. A lot us here have large prints and excellent images from non-MF cameras, but we don't post them here. Just think if we all decided to post from whatever camera we wanted to post in this thread. It would not be good for all getDPI members.

Status
Not open for further replies.