The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave.gt

That's not an easy question to answer specifically, what I do for outdoor portraits with high ambient light is start at the beginning with the aperture I want for the look I am aiming for, then the shutter speed to control the ambient and get it where I want it, then the flash to balance the exposure on the subject, same as any situation really. I will put a softbox as close as possible to the subject if it's a tight headshot like these, in my case both softbox and reflector are within 1m of the subject. I want soft light though for both of these so being in close allows the light source to be very big in relation to the subject so very soft.

Also remember that light falloff is pretty sharp so if the situation allows, it's better to get in closer with the light rather than turning up the power from a distance. Your size softbox at that distance will be giving you quite hard light so if that's what you are going for then maybe look at a different light modifier to increase the light. There are many variables so trial and error is the way forward, if you're not sure, get there in good time and with someone who is happy to sit whilst you get set up. I'm sure there will be others who use different methods, as long as you get the result you like then it's all good.

Mat
Perfect! Thanks Mat, just what I wanted to know as I tweak our technique a bit. I only wish it wasn't quite so blazing hot outside. LOL...:thumbup:

Last edited:

D&A

Confluence of two rivers, the Potomac and Shenandoah. Late Autumn afternoon at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
(Pentax 645D; FA 35mm f3.5)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Out to the Grapevine Antique Railroad which is in the process of becoming a commuter station ....

X1D 4116

Regards,

Bob

D

Deleted member 7792

This is the river Wear at Hendon, Sunderland (N E England). GF 23mm:

<snip>

River view by Mark, on Flickr
Mark, I especially like the way you popped the clouds in this image. Even the angle of the blue boat adds to the composition.

You might consider cropping the foreground and right side a bit to tighten the compositional elements, putting the boat with red floats in the lower right corner.

No matter how you cut it (pun intended), well done by you.

Joe

Mark C

Mark, I especially like the way you popped the clouds in this image. Even the angle of the blue boat adds to the composition.

You might consider cropping the foreground and right side a bit to tighten the compositional elements, putting the boat with red floats in the lower right corner.

No matter how you cut it (pun intended), well done by you.

Joe
Hi Joe, thanks for the feedback, I agree on your suggestion which was what I originally had in mind. Only thing was, the red floats were too dominant on the tighter crop hence I ended up with this. I actually desaturated them by around 20% and was almost at the point of starting from scratch with an Acros and red filter setting in ACR (my fav Fuji film simulation mode) but I'd done the work on the colour version so decided to stick with this :)

etrump

Lovely light on the first one Mat, glows like an angel.
:thumbup:
Thanks Dave.

Lighting couldn't be simpler, 1 very large softbox camera left, 1 white reflector, camera right, both in close to the subject, easy!

Good luck with your shoot tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Mat

etrump

Just returned from my first trip to Valensole. We booked on the early side ehich was good because we had two storm systems move in which made for nice skies and the lavender was early.

Sunflowers were just blooming so we couldn't shoot the usual but I like the various stages of bloom in this shot.

IQ3100/XF/40-80mm:

pesto

A chicken who walks on a leash, who could ask for more?
Loxahatchee Poultry Swap 2017...Is this fine art photography or what???
I expect to be famous by this time tomorrow.
Leica 007 / Summarit S 35mm/ ISO 100

Loxahatchee Chicken.03.jpg

D&A

Very nice shots Bob. I too have this thing about rust but it the opposite of yours. Ever since my very first brand new car, a 1972 Mustang, who inner trunk rusted completely through with a 25" hole after only 2 years, gave me a new found "unappreciation" for rust. :).

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

dave.gt

Very nice shots Bob. I too have a this thing about rust but it the opposite of yours. Ever since my very first brand new car, a 1972 Mustang, who inner trunk rusted completely through with a 25" hole after only 2 years, gave me a new found unappreciation for rust. :).

Dave (D&A)
I can relate to that!:):):)

Rust is good art... if it is someone else's rust!:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.