The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

photo-bowman

It's great to post constructive criticism and suggestions, but we need to find the right language - so I'll try to make the point politely:

I clicked 'Like' for the unusual and interesting composition, but I also had questions about the color - the quite vivid sky and yellow-toned foreground. They didn't hurt my eyes, but I couldn't see them as benefiting the image. Maybe problems about the light or about white balance, but more likely introduced in post-processing?

I hope this is a welcome way of responding,

Kirk
Hi....
I am not sure..... first of all I like the geometric look and positioning og the image. The yellows I personally do not see as that much of a problem. The sky looks oversaturated to me as well..... maybe try a black and white rework with high gradient curve?

Jochen

P.S. comments are important I believe.... if helpfull. This is sh..... does not help me change and develop. Thus I do agree with you Pramote

M

mjr

This does bring up a slightly interesting topic on critique, I agree that "I like this" or "I don't like this" is not helpful when you are actually looking for advice. I tend to consider that it's not possible for everyone to like everything and if someone like Pramote uploads an image then I trust that it looks exactly how he want's it to look, I can like it or dislike it as a personal opinion but I wouldn't comment as he's not taking it for me, it's for himself. If people ask for advice or critique then it's all good but if not, appreciate it or don't is your choice.

Maybe we need a specific critique thread where people post images they actively want suggestions with? No idea if there would be a call for that.

Mat

dave.gt

This does bring up a slightly interesting topic on critique, I agree that "I like this" or "I don't like this" is not helpful when you are actually looking for advice. I tend to consider that it's not possible for everyone to like everything and if someone like Pramote uploads an image then I trust that it looks exactly how he want's it to look, I can like it or dislike it as a personal opinion but I wouldn't comment as he's not taking it for me, it's for himself. If people ask for advice or critique then it's all good but if not, appreciate it or don't is your choice.

Maybe we need a specific critique thread where people post images they actively want suggestions with? No idea if there would be a call for that.

Mat
Yes, I agree, Mat. The ages old discussion of artistic v. photographer, it seems. I am happy to learn from others' images... I appreciate suggestions when I ask for them, not so much when they are unsolicited. My Rocky Road ice cream may not be someone's French Vanilla, but I like both.:):):)

It is a given that there is great talent on this forum, and genuinely very nice people. It is very much appreciated by me, and from what I hear from others as well. I am enjoying myself here and one day when I am not completely exhausted as usual, and when I learn how to post a decent sized image here, I will share my humble efforts. :)

I love the title of this thread... FUN with MF images...!

photo-bowman

Mat
I would second the thread or subforum for a critical but fair discussion about pictures....

And yes.... not each shot everybody will love/like

Jochen

Mark C

Mat
A tricky subject on any forum, all the more so on here as I doubt there are many beginners using MF, we are all likely to be fairly experienced photographers who've moved up to MF having used lots of other equipment on the way. What I think is a good idea, and maybe one for the mods to consider, is a visible yes/no option for anyone posting images to say whether they would like critique and also whether they are okay with image editing. Now if I was asked that, I'd say yes to the first point as I do like to hear what people think (so long as it's constructive and the respondant is polite about it) but I wouldn't be okay with a blanket permission to allow anyone to edit my images. So maybe that second one should be three options: yes/ no/ ask first. That way, if someone thinks they see an error in an image or something they feel they could do better, they could suggest what they think to the OP who could then reply giving permission or not as they see fit. What do others think?

jdphoto

I've been on a short break in the Scottish borders for the past week. An easy 2 hour drive on fairly quiet roads and some great photo opportunities. Here are three I took with the GFX + GF 23mm. Firstly, Leaderfoot viaduct in Melrose. A railway viaduct opened in 1863 to take steam trains across the river Tweed. That must have been quite a sight back in the day:

Leaderfoot viaduct by Mark, on Flickr

Next, Inchcolm island in the Firth of Forth near Edinburgh. Now uninhabited, the island is famous for the now derelict Inchcolm Abbey which is a tourist attraction, visited by boat from Queensferry. We spent a pleasant couple of hours on the island taking in views like this:

Inchcolm island by Mark, on Flickr

The last one I've processed so far shows the Forth Bridge as seen from the boat we were on. An amazing piece of engineering from the 19th century, still in use today:

The Forth Bridge by Mark, on Flickr
I"d love to photograph Scotland. I like the Fuji GFX too. Are these images sharpened in any way? The resolution is very good...almost too sharp. I'm just curious what post editing has been done. Thanks.

etrump

Love these Mat! Her personality really shines through. I think that is what portraiture is about.

Here's a fun experiment, a friend visited with her 7 year old, I told her she could have complete control of her pictures and wear what she wanted, she messed up her hair, put on a hat and scarf and gave me her best modelling pose, hilarious! Just for fun but really made me laugh to see her idea of how she wanted to look.

etrump

What a loss Steven! I'm glad you captured this beautiful scene before it was gone. What happened?

I'm headed to Whitehorse on Sunday, hope to capture some forest images while I am there.

This image is called Spotted Aspens. I shot this scene back in 2009. These trees have now died, the trees are now black and falling over.

stevenfr

What a loss Steven! I'm glad you captured this beautiful scene before it was gone. What happened?

I'm headed to Whitehorse on Sunday, hope to capture some forest images while I am there.
Hi Ed

Thank you for the feedback. I think the trees died due to Sudden Aspen Decline. I have numerous forest scenes that I have taken in the aspen fields where this has taken place.

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/beauty/aspen/decline.shtml

Enjoy the Yukon, its a fantistic place to go to hike and shoot. Be aware there are Lots of bears and wolves.

Enjoy.

Steven

Mark C

I"d love to photograph Scotland. I like the Fuji GFX too. Are these images sharpened in any way? The resolution is very good...almost too sharp. I'm just curious what post editing has been done. Thanks.
These three landscapes have all had very slight sharpening applied globally. I find they need very little and look pretty close to where they should be SOOC. On my monitor and as prints, they look right (to me, anyway). Beyond that, I resize them before hosting them on Flickr. These stages also add slight sharpening so, if you could compare a print with what you see on the forum, the forum image would appear slightly sharper than the print. Not excessively so (IMHO anyway) but I'm interested to get your feedback on that point, thanks.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you for your comment
Although I appreciate your criticism, I don't think your sarcastic language is necessary.

Pramote
Pramote

I am very sorry to learn , that you find my comment sarcastic . It was by no means my intention to be sarcastic .
So , if you feel upset , I would like to apologize .

The LIKE and UNLIKE function is not a very good tool to comment and as it is so easy to be misunderstood , I will refrain to use this function and/or write any comment from now on .
But I will stay a silent observer of the many beautiful images in this thread .

Grayhand

Mamiya RZ Proll, 110mm, P45+

I do miss the real flow in the studio when you have an model that is able to participate in the process.
That is the best part of the photo world!

But after moving house, leaving studio, and to a new part of Sweden, I have to make new contacts, find the right people to play with.
But, hard to do when I am always somewhere else in Sweden due to work!

Pension, anyone?

Ray

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Pramote

I am very sorry to learn , that you find my comment sarcastic . It was by no means my intention to be sarcastic .
So , if you feel upset , I would like to apologize .

The LIKE and UNLIKE function is not a very good tool to comment and as it is so easy to be misunderstood , I will refrain to use this function and/or write any comment from now on .
But I will stay a silent observer of the many beautiful images in this thread .
Hi Jurgen,

I really appreciate your massage. No harm done! That's why I love the GetDPI. There are lots of great people and you are one of them.
Please continue to enjoy and participate in this forum. This is a wonderful place.

Thank you,
Pramote

dave.gt

Hi Jurgen,

I really appreciate your massage. No harm done! That's why I love the GetDPI. There are lots of great people and you are one of them.
Please continue to enjoy and participate in this forum. This is a wonderful place.

Thank you,
Pramote
Yep, this forum is full of classy people! Thank you both for confirming that GetDPI is a real community of talented and caring people!:thumbup:

Re: GFX images:

"Are these images sharpened in any way? The resolution is very good...almost too sharp. I'm just curious what post editing has been done. Thanks."

I'm interested in this because initially it was a problem for me: I read in a comparison of GFX and other MF cameras that GFX files look sharper because Fuji has baked more sharpening into their files via firmware. Can this be true of RAW files, or is it possible only for JPGs?

My first shots with GFX struck me as 'too sharp' or 'too digital' when I made 15x20 workprints, so since then I've been undoing the default sharpening in LR/ACR, going from 25 down to 0. I like the results better but wonder if I'm dealing with a real problem or an imaginary one.

Kirk

D&A

Another one from Scotland with the GF 23mm. A group of sheep being moved between fields at first light. Right past the front of the cottage we were staying in!

The morning run by Mark, on Flickr
Wow, I've seen cattle heards rounded up on T.V. (like in Texas or Wyoming), but never sheep herded up like this. Then again what does this " city slicker" know.about such things...LOL.

Sheep seem.to.be devoid of their hair. Were they shaven before the round-up? (My ignorance about such things is showing). Lovely shot!

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.