The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

My experience with lovely, quiet scenes is similar. Somehow the beauty of the scene is lost. This is not one of those; the path leads the viewer through the beautiful, muted colors. I would love to see your image printed on a matte paper. Attached below is a scene I found lovely, which fails on screen and and print. Much detail to see, but nowhere for the eye to follow.

Tom

_IMG5362 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Hi Tom

Thanks, they look absolutely beautiful printed, almost Turner esq with the soft tones, very painterly if that makes sense! These files are so malleable that I am really enjoying what can be done with them.

I definitely think there is a shot to be had in your image, the copper tones are lovely, I tend to like trees to be grounded, have a you got an uncropped version with more ground? If there are leaves on the floor it would be lovely, I think it's also all about the black tree and the white tree, even a square crop just to include those 2 would work, I love that white branch pointing out to the edge of the frame. Stick with it, I think it can work.

I picked 5 scenes yesterday morning and only a couple worked, here are 2 that I am struggling with, I absolutely love the colours as this was deeper in the forest and the fog isn't in the frame but the sun is shining through it so the light is incredibly soft and makes the colours really come alive.

This has a pathway but it's blocked by the downed tree, I think that the eye struggles a bit with making sense of it which is a shame because I really like it other than that.

I shot this about 10 times in different positions but I just can't get it to work how I want either!

It's all good fun!

Mat

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Mat

I love number one . :thumbup: . But as you dislike the blocked pathway , I must say , aren't there many blocked pathways in our lives ? ? ? . Most of your wonderful "nature images" show an almost perfect harmony , and a fallen tree "destroys" that . But that is nature as well .

M

mjr

Yes indeed Jurgen, many paths blocked, at least this one is only partially!

Thanks for the kind words gents, much appreciated.

Mat

Geoff

Another tree shot - Credo 60, 60mm Schneider. Rather liked the misty background, which came out better than was seen at the time.

STC test 1.15.2016 56 1 sml.jpg

tsjanik

Yes, I see what you mean... composition-wise, maybe try a nice vignette to frame the image and extract the black tree form? It is a very interesting scene with a white colored tree to the right of it...
Hi Tom

Thanks, they look absolutely beautiful printed, almost Turner esq with the soft tones, very painterly if that makes sense! These files are so malleable that I am really enjoying what can be done with them.

I definitely think there is a shot to be had in your image, the copper tones are lovely, I tend to like trees to be grounded, have a you got an uncropped version with more ground? If there are leaves on the floor it would be lovely, I think it's also all about the black tree and the white tree, even a square crop just to include those 2 would work, I love that white branch pointing out to the edge of the frame. Stick with it, I think it can work.

I picked 5 scenes yesterday morning and only a couple worked, here are 2 that I am struggling with, I absolutely love the colours as this was deeper in the forest and the fog isn't in the frame but the sun is shining through it so the light is incredibly soft and makes the colours really come alive.

This has a pathway but it's blocked by the downed tree, I think that the eye struggles a bit with making sense of it which is a shame because I really like it other than that.

It's all good fun!

Mat
Thanks Mat and Dave.

I attempted to bring out the black (a black walnut I think) and white ( a sycamore) trees as well as my PS skills would allow. The trees start at the end of a vineyard, which, for me, adds nothing to the scene -hence no foreground. I saw this scene everyday on my way home from work and have always been intrigued by it but never able to get a photo I was happy with. The trees are on former Nature Conservancy land (now administered by the State of New York) and borders a creek famous for steelhead fishing and is an interesting mix of old growth trees.

Tom

Below is a scene I am happy with. Taken through heavy snow with a 400mm lens. Prints beautifully on matte papers.

_IMG3510 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

tsjanik

A new one taken yesterday. Not a tree, but Lake Erie shoreline. I did some tone mapping with this, something I usually avoid, but like the effect here. 645Z, 35mm A, which is a wonderful lens. I have the 28-45mm, but it's so heavy I dislike walking with it and I don't think it has any real advantage over the 35 at 35mm.

_IMG6227 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

pflower

Autumn at least is coming - Winter? Who knows?

Just got the XCD-H Adapter. This is with the 80mm HC lens which a lot of people seem to disparage. But on the larger sensor (my H3D-39) it is still my favourite lens. A little long for me on the X1D hence the reason why I didn't buy the 90mm. But this, at f8, is sharp across the frame.

WildRover

How about some unabashed color.

Reflections in the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal of the Coast Guard station and lighthouse with it's glowing red beacon. Wish I had better focus on the near red portion of the image. This is close to home, so I will undoubtably try to replicate this with better technique.

Rick

Pentax 645D, FA-200mm, ISO 100, f/9.5, 30 sec. Looks like what I did was to pick an f-stop that allowed me to use the max 30 sec in the Av mode at ISO 100. So really - I was a bit lazy. I should have switched to Bulb and increased my exposure time to get a smaller stop. Or God forbid - switch off of 100 to something a bit higher. Or simply taken this 15 minutes earlier in the evening. If I ever get anything better, I'll post it. Also a vertical motion blur layer at 80% was used in Photoshop.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.