The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

Morning

A bit of pure messing about! Went out looking for aurora with a neighbours kid, she really wanted a picture with northern lights in it, unfortunately we saw nothing but as the full moon started to clear the trees it lit up the fog and I got her to stand in the middle of it, I like this, the torch helped light her face just a little, without it she was just too dark. Anyway, just for fun.

Deltona

As evening falls

During my trip to the Falklands I was after a rather specific shot which included a sunset. After I shot a few frames of my chosen composition/viewpoint, I turned around and watch the lightplay of the setting sun on the clouds and landscape, such a fine evening.

Mamiya 645DF Phase One P21+ with 35mm ND grad and CPL

CF063389.jpg

M

mjr

I love the Falklands Deltona, never been to a place with such amazing huge skies! I was there with the British Antarctic Survey three times but only for a week or so at a time, would love to go for longer on a dedicated photography trip. Are you on Mount Pleasant or there on your own?

Mat

dave.gt

A new one taken yesterday. Not a tree, but Lake Erie shoreline. I did some tone mapping with this, something I usually avoid, but like the effect here. 645Z, 35mm A, which is a wonderful lens. I have the 28-45mm, but it's so heavy I dislike walking with it and I don't think it has any real advantage over the 35 at 35mm.

_IMG6227 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Tom,

That is stunning! I would like to have a better idea of how you made this one.. it has a really distinctive look to it, thanks for posting!:)

dave.gt

Re: As evening falls

During my trip to the Falklands I was after a rather specific shot which included a sunset. After I shot a few frames of my chosen composition/viewpoint, I turned around and watch the lightplay of the setting sun on the clouds and landscape, such a fine evening.

Mamiya 645DF Phase One P21+ with 35mm ND grad and CPL

View attachment 129133
Ah, yes, Nick, yet another fine image from the magical fat pixel back. What more can I say... except I am envious? :):):)

It is so nice to see beauty displayed on this forum with all the chaos in this world. You guys provide a place of solace for us who are in search of meaning and glorious affirmation of the positives all around us that few can see let alone capture!:thumbup:

dave.gt

Ah, yes, Nick, yet another fine image from the magical fat pixel back. What more can I say... except I am envious? :):):)

It is so nice to see beauty displayed on this forum with all the chaos in this world. You guys provide a place of solace for us who are in search of meaning and glorious affirmation of the positives all around us that few can see let alone capture!:thumbup:
And now, I am out of time to comment on the other amazing images I see... maybe later as we wait out the hurricane and rainy weather coming our way. Until then, bravo! to everyone, and thank you for posting!:)

Deltona

I love the Falklands Deltona, never been to a place with such amazing huge skies! I was there with the British Antarctic Survey three times but only for a week or so at a time, would love to go for longer on a dedicated photography trip. Are you on Mount Pleasant or there on your own?

Mat

Thanks Mat
A lttle backstory, 35 years ago we set sail to retake the Islands after the Argentine invasion. I was 24 and a member of the 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment. I took photographs of the war for the battalion. So I went back 35 years later, to rediscover the beauty of the place, and to pay my respects to the men that lost their lives during the campaign. I had a fortnight out on the Islands, I also shot a wedding on West Falkland as part of a favour for someone that looked after during my visit. It's a proper wilderness place, huge empty landscapes, and great coastlines. I intend to go back next year, maybe in the Falklands autumn. I can't wait, I do get a concessionary price for the flight though which is nice, otherwise it costs a fortune.

Deltona

Thanks for the kind words Dave, the back certainly produces some fine images, without all the modern trappings of the latest tech. The experience is almost anologue.

M

mjr

Thanks for the background Deltona, respect is due! I am not ex military but have worked with a great many over the years, heard a lot about the Falkland conflict and the conditions, worked with a guy called John Foran for a while in Sudan, he had some amazing stories and we sat and talked a lot about those days. Having spend a short amount of time there, I can only imagine how tough it was, the weather alone is incredible, never mind the bleak landscape. I was very close to returning a couple of years ago to help with the mine clearance but didn't win the contract.

I hope you get to return, I'd jump at the chance!

Cheers

Mat

tsjanik

Tom,

That is stunning! I would like to have a better idea of how you made this one.. it has a really distinctive look to it, thanks for posting!:)
Dave:

Thanks. Usual PS processing and then duplicate layer treated with Nik HDR tone mapping and changing opacity to taste (which may bit overdone here, but I really liked the translucence brought out in the breaking wave.)

Grayhand

Very nice postcard look to it!!! I love this!
Thanks Dave!

It is from a commercial photo session of a winter collection that the clothing company used in their advertising material.
They was after a special look. And I wanted to give it a little timeless look.
Glad that you did like the result!

Ray

Mark C

What a pleasure to look through the recent work on here which I've missed over the past few days when I've been away. A very high standard as usual :)

Here's one I took on Hartlepool beach last week. GFX + 63mm. A 40 second exposure using a 10 stop filter. It shows the old Steetley pier and staithes, now disused and reminders of our industrial past:

Steetley pier and staithes by Mark, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.