The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

darr

Re: Life In The Gutter

LIFE IN THE GUTTER | Mamiya 6 + 75mm L | Tri-X + Pyrocat HD

This caught my eye while I was checking out the gutters after Hurricane Irma.
Relieved we only had tree debris removed this time; last year Hermine put a water oak in the roof.
I watched a wooly caterpillar play dead the day before the storm when I removed it from an outside chair.
I do not know what the wooly insect on the right is, as it does not look like a caterpillar. Anyone have any ideas?

ejpeiker

While I love all of the photos from Landscapelover, some of which are truly exceptional, perhaps we need a guideline that says something like no more than one photo posted per day or even every couple of days by an individual. For the most part that's what everybody has been doing, actually many more like one every 4 or 5 days. This prevents photos from getting buried really quickly and more eyes on all of the great stuff posted here. Most other photo forums that I am involved with do have such guidelines. Just a thought ... :)

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
While I love all of the photos from Landscapelover, some of which are truly exceptional, perhaps we need a guideline that says something like no more than one photo posted per day or even every couple of days by an individual. For the most part that's what everybody has been doing, actually many more like one every 4 or 5 days. This prevents photos from getting buried really quickly and more eyes on all of the great stuff posted here. Most other photo forums that I am involved with do have such guidelines. Just a thought ... :)
I've been in this forum for a long time. It's just been in the past 2+ months I've had a chance to edit my photos. I've been on sabbatical leave and been in front of the computer all the time.
I do not mean to just throw the garbage (hope you do not think so) into this forum. The times I spent to edit each photos now were the same as when I posted photos once in 3-4 weeks. The last one took me ~ 3 hours. I don't mean anything but just want to share them with you. I am an amateur and have no reason to promote my photos for commercial purposes.
I apologize If this bothers some of you. Please let me know and I will stop doing this and just keep them to myself.
For EJ, I am a big fan of you, if you've posted many pictures a day, I will never complain due to quality of your work. However, this may not apply to my level. Even after your comment, I am still your follower.
Please let me know.

Best regards,

Pramote

ejpeiker

I've been in this forum for a long time. It's just been in the past 2+ months I've had a chance to edit my photos. I've been on sabbatical leave and been in front of the computer all the time.
I do not mean to just throw the garbage (hope you do not think so) into this forum. The times I spent to edit each photos now were the same as when I posted photos once in 3-4 weeks. The last one took me ~ 3 hours. I don't mean anything but just want to share them with you. I am an amateur and have no reason to promote my photos for commercial purposes.
I apologize If this bothers some of you. Please let me know and I will stop doing this and just keep them to myself.
For EJ, I am a big fan of you, if you've posted many pictures a day, I will never complain due to quality of your work. However, this may not apply to my level. Even after your comment, I am still your follower.
Please let me know.

Best regards,

Pramote
Like I said, the work you have been posting is often exceptional and I would definitely want to keep seeing them. But your images would get more views if you spaced out your posts more rather than scrolling them to the previous page so quickly - just food for thought :) No negative feelings at all and it's just my opinion. We'll see if others chime in or if I'm the only one that feels that way.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi EJ,

No hard feeling! I respect your opinion. What I like about this forum is people. Almost all of them are sophisticated and very friendly. I've learnt a lot from them and accumulate a lot of good friends.
My intention of posting the pictures here is not about how many "like" I will get but just about sharing my vision. I've always thought twice before posting and made sure they were not poor quality.
My leave is almost ended any way. Work has already had a lot of rules, I don't want to add another one. Please don't make me ruin this forum. I will end it myself and will stop posting the pictures here for a while.

Best regards,
Pramote

mediumcool

There’s already far too much coercion in the world; I cannot agree.

I do sometimes wish that some posters (not LL, BTW!) would consider their options and post only their best work, but that is a relative and subjective activity in itself.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi EJ,

No hard feeling! I respect your opinion. What I like about this forum is people. Almost all of them are sophisticated and very friendly. I've learnt a lot from them and accumulate a lot of good friends.
My intention of posting the pictures here is not about how many "like" I will get but just about sharing my vision. I've always thought twice before posting and made sure they were not poor quality.
My leave is almost ended any way. Work has already had a lot of rules, I don't want to add another one. Please don't make me ruin this forum. I will end it myself and will stop posting the pictures here for a while.

Best regards,
Pramote
Pramote ... one persons opinion should not wag the dog.

We all love your posts and I for one am in awe at all the wonderful places you have visited. Remember that I spend a bit of time in the garden so that my technique does not get too rusty.

One a day or five ... good for me. And no way that you would ruin this forum. The only way we lose is when passionate photographers quit participating.

As you recall ... I retired as I tired of all the politic and rules. This is a place to play and receive instruction adulation and encouragement.

Looking forward to your posts ... bring em on ...

JMHO

Bob

ejpeiker

Hi EJ,

Best regards,
Pramote
That's not at all what I intended, please read again my two previous posts. I was simply throwing it out there since nearly half, 10 of the last 22 posts with photos in them in the last day were all from a single person. All I was suggesting was spacing them out a bit more and I said that I may be the only one that feels that way. The last thing I want is for you to not post anymore.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Like I said, the work you have been posting is often exceptional and I would definitely want to keep seeing them. But your images would get more views if you spaced out your posts more rather than scrolling them to the previous page so quickly - just food for thought :) No negative feelings at all and it's just my opinion. We'll see if others chime in or if I'm the only one that feels that way.
I agree that it is difficult to assess the beauty of each picture when there are a lot to view ... but at times this place has been very slow. I would prefer that
as an individual is working through a body of work ... that he or she would share the highlights ... which may be a number of pictures in a day.

And I would rather he or she stayed as a member of this small group and be an active participant than to be dissuaded from participating. Over the years a number
of photographers have moved on ... not to our benefit in my opinion.

Great thing about the forum is if you do not like the volume you can tune it out. I have a bigger problem with likes and comments that post the picture in their post ... so that it appears
5 or 10 or multiple times ... rather than a reference to the picture without including it in the response. Waste of bandwidth. But original pictures ... if they got em and want to share them
then I would love to see them.

What makes a wonderful picture for one may not engage another ... and likewise not all of us can discover the beauty or vision that was the focus of the photographer. But someone might.

So my vote is ... if you are compelled to share here ... do it. To many threads have died over the years from lack of interest, or a culture that inhibits sharing. Would not prefer that here.

Bob

stngoldberg

I'm sharing and enjoy this forum
Keep posting Ladies and Gentlemen...I try to learn from your images
It was foggy in Newport this AM
Stanley

sc_john

Yesterday morning it was calm and clear on Pamlico Sound near Outer Banks:

I have been trying to become more comfortable shooting IQ3100 handheld. This is one of the results.

Thanks for looking.

John

DougDolde

"Hidden Canyon" is somewhere in the Jumbo Rocks Campground at Joshua Tree National Park. IQ180 with 28mm Mamiya D lens

COLOR-13.jpg

Last edited:

Pemihan

Hi EJ,

Best regards,
Pramote
Please keep them coming Pramote! I always enjoy your images and really missed them when you were absent for a while.

Peter

M

mjr

Morning

I wouldn't worry too much about it Pramote, I am also guilty many times of posting a couple of pictures in a day, I then check myself and try not to do it for a few days just to give people a break from my drivel!

I think it's important sometimes to understand what being a part of a community like this is, I for one live in the middle of nowhere by the Arctic Circle, in a country I am not a native of, I work a lot but have no family here and as sad as it sounds, communicating or being a part of what happens on here is a way of touching base with reality, even in if it's just in a virtual way. There can be days when I don't actually speak to anyone when processing images and sometimes you guys fulfil the role of sounding board or simply feeling like there are likeminded people out there.

Someone suggested they wished that people restricted their work to only their best stuff, I don't agree, I look at a lot of things and wonder just what on earth made someone decide to take the photograph in the first place, never mind actually posting it but variety is the spice of life and not everyone can like everything, I have images that make me smile because of a tone or a colour and still I know that anyone looking at it without the benefit of my understanding of the scene will think it's complete rubbish, it doesn't matter. My "best" work is reserved for the people paying me, this week I shot 4 portraits, a data centre and a building site from the air, I love the shots, clients love them but I have absolutely no desire to share them on here, I'd much rather share the shots I take when wandering about, and certainly not for recognition or likes, which is lucky! I post them for me, and I encourage others to do the same.

It's just photography after all, there are real problems in the world, we shouldn't turn what we love doing in to something that causes stress, I am in discussions about a trip to Syria and Iraq, I take and post average pictures of autumn as a way of not thinking about real life!

Have a good weekend all.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.