The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

Thank you!
Not really, just trying to compose in a more 'uneasy' way.
I think having a element within an image that doesn't confirm to a norm or may have a be a bit of a distrupting aspect, brings both a bit of uncomfortableness and interest/tension in what might be otherise a familar cookie cutter approach. I applauded this effort.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

DougDolde

Printed, stretched and varnished this 30x40 canvas wrap from Joshua Tree NP. I believe it was taken with an IQ140 or Aptus 75S

5D2152EC-377F-42DA-A822-C878DD06E66A.jpeg

AlanS

Hi Pramote,
Really like where you are at with your recent B&W, great tones and depth! Keep up the good work. Great images as well!

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Pramote,
Really like where you are at with your recent B&W, great tones and depth! Keep up the good work. Great images as well!
Thank you very much Alan for your kind words coming from you! I really appreciate them. I've love B&W. It gives me unlimited creativity.
Although I've missed you at the MF forum, I know where to find you :)

Pramote

Eric Reschly

konza prairie aptus 134-Pano.jpg
Konza Prairie shot with Mamiya 645 afdii 80mm Aptus 22 3 images stitched in LR
iso25 f16 1/60

I wanted to introduce myself a bit here. This is all very new to me. I have been inspired and awed by your guys images. Thank you.

I am new to serious photography (about 1 1/2 years) and new to medium format (several months). Everything I know I attribute to my wonderful wife's knowledge and encouragement. The bad is simply my own mixing in.

I have really enjoyed digital photography but really like the look and feel of the medium format. We are hobby shooters so we have a "cheap" fat pixel setup. LOL.

I respect the work you guys do on here and value all the insight and skill.

Here is a picture I shot at the Konza Prairie. This is my first attempt at panoramic landscapes and stitching. I really don't know what I am doing, just trying to mimic what I have seen you guys do.

I would value your opinions and critiques on this and other pictures. What can I do to improve?

Thanks

eric

Last edited:

Eric Reschly

konza prairie aptus 129-Pano.jpg

Konza Prairie Mamiya 645afdii. 210mm Aptus 22 3 vertical images stitched in LR
iso 25 f10 1/160

Here is another one i stitched 3 vertical images together. I was experimenting here but liked the light.

Last edited:

Shashin

I wanted to introduce myself a bit here. This is all very new to me. I have been inspired and awed by your guys images. Thank you.

I am new to serious photography (about 1 1/2 years) and new to medium format (several months). Everything I know I attribute to my wonderful wife's knowledge and encouragement. The bad is simply my own mixing in.

I would value your opinions and critiques on this and other pictures. What can I do to improve?

Thanks

eric
Eric, welcome.

I have a question, have you calibrated your monitor? Your images seem to have a green cast. Monitor calibration packages can be inexpensive and easy to use, but one of the best investments you can make. Processing images without a calibrated monitor is like trying to tune a guitar while driving down the highway with the windows open.

mediumcool

View attachment 129324

Konza Prairie Mamiya 645afdii. 210mm Aptus 22 3 vertical images stitched in LR
iso 25 f10 1/160

Here is another one i stitched 3 vertical images together. I was experimenting here but liked the light.
Hi Eric, and welcome to the forum!

I am going to be a bit hard [critical] on you in two different areas, but please note that we have something in common—I also have an Aptus 22, which remains an excellent back, albeit a bit slow by current standards. Please take this post as well-intentioned … :D

First: colour

Both pix are quite green-yellow in colour as displayed on my iMac. It’s calibrated with macOS’ inbuilt calibrator, which is not too bad, though nowhere near as precise as using hardware calibration. Is your monitor calibrated in any way, and is it an IPS-based panel?

And which software are you using to process your RAW files? I assume Capture One, in part because it’s free to use for the cited equipment; C1 has a great feature where you can drop multiple colour readout tabs onto various parts of the image, so you can look at colour readings at various points. If you took out some green, and a bit less yellow, vegetation would still be green, but skies would be bluer, giving increased colour variation. Another strategy could be to push the pix in a magenta direction. As it is, these shots look dull because of the samey colouration. I’d like to see how the right foreground would appear with colour correction—a sere yellow-brown? I have no compunction about treating different parts of the frame via local adjustments AKA layers to make them better separate from one another!

Secondly: composition and cropping
The first pic has some plants sticking up into the left-hand bottom of the frame; these do not add anything to the picture, and should be removed or cropped as a distraction.

The second pic has OOF grass along the bottom, and a bit of a blob at top left. Both are distracting. It also has the same colour characteristics as the first, so that advice applies here too. Good separation in the bright sky on this one, but the land portion is a bit too dark and flat for me; the two sidelit hills could be brightened to increase contrast and modelling. I also think that this shot is not as sharp as it could be—focus?

I’ll stop now! :)

mediumcool

Eric, welcome.

I have a question, have you calibrated your monitor? Your images seem to have a green cast. Monitor calibration packages can be inexpensive and easy to use, but one of the best investments you can make. Processing images without a calibrated monitor is like trying to tune a guitar while driving down the highway with the windows open.
Um, I think it’s much more likely that Eric’s monitor has a magenta or red cast—think about it! :p

Eric Reschly

I am going to be a bit hard [critical] on you in two different areas, but please note that we have something in common—I also have an Aptus 22, which remains an excellent back, albeit a bit slow by current standards. Please take this post as well-intentioned … :D

Both pix are quite green-yellow in colour as displayed on my iMac. It’s calibrated with macOS’ inbuilt calibrator, which is not too bad, though nowhere near as precise as using hardware calibration. Is your monitor calibrated in any way, and is it an IPS-based panel?

And which software are you using to process your RAW files? I assume Capture One, in part because it’s free to use for the cited equipment; C1 has a great feature where you can drop multiple colour readout tabs onto various parts of the image, so you can look at colour readings at various points. If you took out some green, and a bit less yellow, vegetation would still be green, but skies would be bluer, giving increased colour variation. Another strategy could be to push the pix in a magenta direction. As it is, these shots look dull because of the samey colouration. I’d like to see how the right foreground would appear with colour correction—a sere yellow-brown? I have no compunction about treating different parts of the frame via local adjustments AKA layers to make them better separate from one another!

The first pic has some plants sticking up into the left-hand bottom of the frame; these do not add anything to the picture, and should be removed or cropped as a distraction.

The second pic has OOF grass along the bottom, and a bit of a blob at top left. Both are distracting. It also has the same colour characteristics as the first, so that advice applies here too. Good separation in the bright sky on this one, but the land portion is a bit too dark and flat for me; the two sidelit hills could be brightened to increase contrast and modelling. I also think that this shot is not as sharp as it could be—focus?

thanks guys for the help and advice. i was really struggling with the color. i think my monitor is okay. it is may editing skills unfortunately. i can't figure out how to make them work. i edit in lightroom. i will try some of the suggestions and see how it goes.

thanks again.

eric

tcdeveau

Went out this morning with Dave GT and his wife to do some skyline panoramas. Was hoping for some (or any) drama in the sky (color, clouds, etc) but no such luck. Still made for a nice (albeit early) morning for photography.

First is 5-image stitch with the X1D and 90mm (leading to a very large final image), second is single image with the 45mm and big stopper. Will prob reprocess the second one at some point as I'm not sure I like the initial pass. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend,
-Todd

piedmont park 92317.jpg

9-23-17_0216 copy.jpg

dave.gt

Went out this morning with Dave GT and his wife to do some skyline panoramas. Was hoping for some (or any) drama in the sky (color, clouds, etc) but no such luck. Still made for a nice (albeit early) morning for photography.

First is 5-image stitch with the X1D and 90mm (leading to a very large final image), second is single image with the 45mm and big stopper. Will prob reprocess the second one at some point as I'm not sure I like the initial pass. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend,
-Todd

View attachment 129339

View attachment 129338
Todd, it was indeed a great pleasure once again to shoot alongside you with your X1D. I love your images of Mid-Town!! I think I might try a wider lens soon just for fun, although my own results were nice enough to be a part of our current project.

Great morning all the way around, in spite of getting temporarily lost in the dark, pushing a wheelchair and loaded with gear... lol...:)

Eric Reschly

konza prairie aptus 134-Pano.jpg

well i think i adjusted every slider in lightroom. so here is the results. i may have overdone some of the colors but i do like it a lot better.

photographist

Hi all ...

I'm calibrated via Xrite tools and I too show some greenish yellow coloring. However, in the first image it leads to the overall mood for me. No right or wrong here, just my 'gut'. As for the autumn foliage on the lower left, I rather like it. Technically and by the book, you're spot on with the suggested removal, but again -- no right or wrong. I like the tiny bit of foreground it gives.

For what it's worth, when I'm not certain if a piece of the image contributes or detracts from an image, I create a layer in Photoshop and remove it from that layer. I turn it off and on and literally 'see' the effect and impact that element may have on the over all composition and 'feel' of the image. Let it talk to you.

Enough of my kibitzing. Just don't forget to enjoy and have fun what ever you end up doing!

Jeffrey

Eric Reschly

thanks again for all the advice and critiques everyone. i hope you don't mind me posting my beginners work on here with all of this excellent work. i am constantly awed by all the great images and hope you don't mind me tagging along.

eric

darr

thanks again for all the advice and critiques everyone. i hope you don't mind me posting my beginners work on here with all of this excellent work. i am constantly awed by all the great images and hope you don't mind me tagging along.

eric
Welcome to medium format Eric!

The best way to learn this stuff is to jump right in and tweak, and tweak, etc. Post-processing is a craft like seeing, and that comes in time, so do not be hard on yourself, just know with every image you are making progress. If you hang around here, not only will you make great strides in your photography, but the industry might make great dives into your wallet. It does not take a whole lot of gear to make great images, but some of us are born camera junkies :scry:. The one piece of advice I offer comes from standing on the sidelines and listening to some of the guys cry about having to hide new gear from their wives ( :ROTFL: ), or the threat of being put out to the curb because the UPS man missed the cue to deliver the box to the friendly neighbor; do not get caught up in this. Either get your wife involved in photography so she gets the bug, or tell her Per Diem is a city in Germany and let that be your photography fund.

Kind regards,
Darr

Eric Reschly

Welcome to medium format Eric!

The best way to learn this stuff is to jump right in and tweak, and tweak, etc. Post-processing is a craft like seeing, and that comes in time, so do not be hard on yourself, just know with every image you are making progress. If you hang around here, not only will you make great strides in your photography, but the industry might make great dives into your wallet. It does not take a whole lot of gear to make great images, but some of us are born camera junkies :scry:. The one piece of advice I offer comes from standing on the sidelines and listening to some of the guys cry about having to hide new gear from their wives ( :ROTFL: ), or the threat of being put out to the curb because the UPS man missed the cue to deliver the box to the friendly neighbor; do not get caught up in this. Either get your wife involved in photography so she gets the bug, or tell her Per Diem is a city in Germany and let that be your photography fund.

Kind regards,
Darr
I have an advantage here since my wife got me involved in photography. It is wonderful being able to create this art together. But our funds are limited (5 kids one income). Hence our entry level medium format digital system. I hope it doesn't break.

M

mjr

Afternoon!

It's been non-stop portraits here for the last few days, this is a quick test shot for an idea I had, I wanted deep black and white and added in the girls mother flapping a piece of board to provide some wind! She's only 13 but has a great look and incredibly long red hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.