The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediumcool

thanks guys for the help and advice. i was really struggling with the color. i think my monitor is okay.
Eric, you have not responded to my question about monitor calibration; I don’t understand why. If you don’t calibrate your system, it indicates an absence of seriousness about getting optimal colour. It’s fine to play around, but you can’t expect ppl to want to help you if that is your approach.

it [sic] is may [?] editing skills unfortunately. i [sic] can't figure out how to make them work. i [sic] edit in lightroom [sic].
I strongly suggest that you download Capture One from the Phase One website; I bought into their ecosystem some years ago, and am very happy with how C1 works. I rent Lightroom, but do not use it because I strongly dislike LR’s interface and find the results tepid. Remember that C1 is free to use for the equipment you have mentioned so far. There are many instructional videos for C1 online.

This is my last comment on this.

Shashin

Um, I think it’s much more likely that Eric’s monitor has a magenta or red cast—think about it!
Right, that is why his IMAGES have a green cast. Think about it!

Eric, you have not responded to my question about monitor calibration; I don’t understand why. If you don’t calibrate your system, it indicates an absence of seriousness about getting optimal colour. It’s fine to play around, but you can’t expect ppl to want to help you if that is your approach.

I strongly suggest that you download Capture One from the Phase One website; I bought into their ecosystem some years ago, and am very happy with how C1 works. I rent Lightroom, but do not use it because I strongly dislike LR’s interface and find the results tepid. Remember that C1 is free to use for the equipment you have mentioned so far. There are many instructional videos for C1 online.
Man, you are going to 11. What is with the attitude? Did someone take away your birthday?

First, no one has to respond to anyone. Eric is new to this. Perhaps he just does not understand the significance of monitor calibration. And that is OK. He may get there if he wants too. I certainly don't mind helping him.

I have used Capture One, but I actually prefer Photoshop. I know folks who do really well with Lightroom. I would suggest Eric use C1 if he is using a Phase back, just because Phase profiles their backs differently with C1, but if he has a different approach, that is fine too. But perhaps he is still getting a grip with his camera and does not have the time. Of course, perhaps people are looking for a different reason for pursuing a hobby than feeling like they are in the armed services or doing time.

Promise?

Eric Reschly

I apologise for not responding directly. No I have not calibrated our monitor. We have had a number of pictures printed from a high quality company on fine art paper and they all turned out great. So I had figured it was okay.
I do see the greenish color cast but just couldn't figure out how to fix it. Your comments have been most helpful. Thanks.
I looked at the capture one software but couldn't figure out which one to download or which one is free with my equipment. I will look into it some more.
Again I apologise for not putting my best foot forward, you did rightly chastise me for seeking help when I could have done more myself.
Please feel free to continue with the helpful comments. I do value them.

mediumcool

I apologise for not responding directly. No I have not calibrated our monitor.
Until you do, you will have results all over the place. This can be frustrating, but also expensive time-wise (five kids!). And the type of monitor affects your work in that an LCD that uses TN technology—rather than a good IPS-based screen—will show different colours and brightness if you move your head even a little. Unfortunately, the sky’s the limit for monitor pricing, but my iMac and its modest 21.5" screen does a reasonable job. I have previously mentioned macOS’s OK calibration, but don’t know if there’s any equivalent free alternative for Windows. Hardware calibration is the best solution, but costs.

We have had a number of pictures printed from a high quality company on fine art paper and they all turned out great. So I had figured it was okay.
But, given the cost of prints, luck can be an unreliable partner …

I do see the greenish color cast but just couldn't figure out how to fix it. Your comments have been most helpful. Thanks.
Firstly, thanks for your gracious reply—not everyone is as charitable/forgiving! ;)

Landscapes can be difficult to colour-balance—where are the neutral colours to click on? Capture One has a white balance tool that is quite powerful, and I use it a lot; if I shoot a portrait or an interior, I can place a Kodak grey card in the scene, then balance the colour temperature pretty well with one click; though local adjustment is often needed for best results—but try doing that in a landscape! But please read my comment further down about profiles—it may be helpful for you.

I looked at the capture one software but couldn't figure out which one to download or which one is free with my equipment. I will look into it some more.
Simply download the full version of C1; when you start it up the first time, it will display some big buttons—click on the button that mentions MF digital backs, and you’re laughing. It supports Leaf Aptus backs, as well as the Phase One backs mentioned by another contributor; the profiles for the Aptus 22 are superb and allow you to get off to a good start in processing your shots.

Again I apologise for not putting my best foot forward, you did rightly chastise me for seeking help when I could have done more myself.
Please feel free to continue with the helpful comments. I do value them.
Here is a sequence of screenshots showing how I work in C1 on an Aptus 22 file (from 2011); it may help you get started. Capture One has a very dense interface, and it can be overwhelming trying to work out which tools and controls do what. Tools have their own bar, but there are also tabs in another part of the interface (on the RHS, close to the top) which allow you to go from activity to activity (I start in the COLOUR tab, to work on profiles and colour). Next is EXPOSURE, which controls exposure, contrast, brightness, and saturation. All of these items can be re-arranged to suit the user.

Opening the .MOS file
On import, the pic is obviously under-exposed and yellow/red—window light and tungsten in a cream-painted room.

Trying another ICC profile
A little bit better—less red, but still far too yellow. And still too dark.

Clicked on the cream-coloured wall with the WHITE BALANCE dropper
This pushed the colour temperature way down, and the tint moved into green territory; but beetroot still becomes a player!

Manually adjusted Colour Temperature by 300°, and pushed Tint to zero

Exposure—adjustments as highlighted

Two adjustment layers
To make me more beautiful—or less old.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Eric Reschly

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Wow thanks for taking the time to help.
I have downloaded capture one and will start working with it. I will also look into monitor calibration.

Shashin

I have not had much time to explore the 'hood since moving to Florida. There is a large parcel of land next to my community set aside for conservation (although cattle are allowed to graze it). The only time we had water on the forest floor in Maine was during the winter thaw, but that usually collects in slightly smaller pools. I am pretty sure it has not snowed since I have been here. While normally I would be fine walking through the vernal pools in Maine, I am a little more hesitant in Florida...

Mark C

Cold, wet and foggy on the river Tyne in N E England this morning. Ideal weather for B&W photography! I took the shot below with my GFX + 23mm. I actually prefer the one I posted a few minutes ago in the X-Pro2 thread of the Fuji section. To get that with the GFX I'd have needed a 35mm (equiv) prime...can't wait for the GF 45mm F2.8 to be released...

River Tyne II by Mark, on Flickr

dave.gt

Sublime, E.J., it really is with the colors, composition and the smoothing of the flowing water!

Well seen, well done as usual!:thumbup:

mediumcool

Wow thanks for taking the time to help.
I have downloaded capture one and will start working with it. I will also look into monitor calibration.
It’s not worth using C1 (or any other software) until you have calibrated your screen. Seriously, this is priority one, and not to be treated as an option.

Even the best software tools are useless without a stable calibrated monitor. And lighting is important too—try to keep the illumination in the area where you process pictures as consistent as possible from session to session.

Oh, and I suggest you use Sessions! :D

M

mjr

Afternoon!

Nice to see a few portraits lately!

Here's another black and white from the other day, this girl is amazing to work with, never had her picture taken before so I need to work on animating her a little but she has an amazing look.

M

mjr

Afternoon

Grabbed an hour this morning to have a wander around in the fog, a couple of random shots, one colour and one black and white..

Status
Not open for further replies.