The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday outing with my son at a nearby park.
PhaseOne XF + IQ150 + SK80mm f/2.8
1 Godox AD600 firing into a 90cm softlighter. All shots taken at f/2.8. On all the shots I took I missed focus on 1, but I think it was probably due to my own error. The AFR works like a charm and I'm so happy! Earlier I wouldn't dare shoot below f/4 if I'm focusing and recomposing.

P1_CF001048_SM.jpg
P1_CF001034_SM.jpg
P1_CF001032_SM.jpg
P1_CF001029_SM.jpg

Have a good week ahead!

Best regards,
Ray

Mark C

I may have posted the image below previously and, if I did, I will have posted the B&W version. Anyway, I had another try with the colour process going back to basics and I'm happier with this result. It's a 2.5 second exposure, no filters, just stopped right down to f/32 to extend the shutter speed. GFX + GF 23mm:

Calm and tranquil by Mark, on Flickr

DougDolde

Fan Palms in the Coachella Valley Preserve aka 1000 Palms Oasis. Phase One XF/IQ180 with Mamiya D 28mm Lens. Processed in Capture One, Photoshop and Topaz Impression

COLOR-274A.jpg

ejpeiker

WA_Palouse02.jpg
XF-IQ3100, 75-150mm @ 100mm ISO 50, f/8, 1s

Backstory on this photo:

I had visited this spot in southeast Washington's Palouse area earlier in the week but it was solid overcast at mid-day so I wanted to return before I left since I really like the solitude of the scene and thought it might make a good photo if there was something going on in the sky and if the mountains in Western Idaho in the background were visible. After a night of significant rain, I looked outside at 3:30AM and saw that the rain had stopped and since there was already a bit of light at that hour in Washington in June, I could see that there was some definition in the clouds with a few breaks. So I decided to return to this spot pre-sunrise on this, my last day, before flying home. This little farm is located in a bowl in the rolling hills of the eastern side of the Palouse near the Idaho border. Access is via a dirt road followed by a grassy double track. My front wheel drive Toyota Corolla rental car had no problem getting there despite having to climb a dirt road hill just after leaving the main road. After taking this shot and a few others, I was preparing to leave and spotted a small wind-mill/wind vane situated next to a tree in the distance. I thought it would make for a nice final photograph. I proceed down the relatively steep gravel hill and about halfway down my car started slipping and sliding as the road had turned to mud - I knew it was going to be difficult going back up that hill to get back to the main road. I got near the bottom and took the photograph. I decided rather than to try to go back up the hill I just slid down I would keep going on this road and link up with another that would take me back to the main road. Not too far along the muddy road, I was faced with another muddy hill - my little Toyota made it about halfway up before bogging down. I put it in reverse to back down... and nothing! The wheels wouldn't even turn. Time to find the traction control switch and turn it off! This allowed me to back back down even though my driver's side wheels had slid into a bit of a trough. I finally made it back to the bottom and tried again, this time with traction control off. The car was sliding all over the place and I made it no farther up the hill than before. Even with the traction control off, there must still be some sensors in this car that basically disengages the transmission and drive by wire throttle when it detects too much wheel spin - I'm starting to think I would need a locking differential to get back out and may have to hike back to the main road... there is no cell service here and it is 5:00AM! I clearly wasn't going to make it up that hill so I somehow got the vehicle turned around in the mud and proceeded to try to drive up the hill that I initially came down. I got about halfway up and bogged down again. Meanwhile my white car no longer had any white visible and the windshield wipers with wiper fluid assist were giving me just a small hole to look through. I backed back down, spun out, and decided to try again. I bogged down again but what was puzzling to me was that it wasn't that my wheels were digging in, it was the computer in the car that was shutting down the drive; if I could just keep the wheels going there would be a chance I could get out. I was now getting really worried that I might not get out of here for some time and might miss my flight. So back down I went for one more try. This time when I bogged down due to the wheels no longer turning I decided to hold the car with brakes while I brought up the RPM of the engine in neutral and then shifted it into gear while simultaneously releasing the brakes and sure enough I could go forward about 10 feet before the wheels stopped turning again. I now had a procedure to get out and after many of these neutral, RPM up, shift into gear while releasing the brakes cycles, I made it back onto the gravel part of the road and finally got out of there. I was now driving along a state highway in a car that probably weighed several hundred pounds more due to the mud that was all over and under it with just a little semi-clear hole in the windshield to look through. The car did start to shed some of the bigger chunks at speed and as I went through the tiny town of Palouse at 5:30AM, I saw a single bay coin operated car wash. I pulled into the bay and dug through my pockets for change since I needed $1.75 for 5 minutes of high pressure wash; sure enough I had left my coins at the hotel. No problem, there is a change machine! I got out my wallet and of course the smallest bill I had was a $20 bill. Fortunately the change machine took $20s but did I really want 80 quarters? I didn't have a choice so the answer was yes. I got the change and got the mud washed off of the car and went on my merry way... The moral of the story - next time rent a true 4 wheel drive vehicle with locking differential.

stevenfr

Still shooting fall colour. Only a week left. This shot was from last year. I was at the same spot for sunset tonight. I got some sunset light that was interesting.

And now for something completely different.

Today, it was much too hazy in Hawaii to shoot landscapes.
The haze (called vog) is caused by gases and particles emitted by Kilauea Volcano.

So decided to shoot some birds at a local marsh on Oahu.
I certainly don't recommend the Hasselblad x1d for this sort of thing.
I was patient, got lucky and captured this Black Crowned Night Heron in flight.

x1d 90mm lens f/11 1/2000 iso 200.
Had to shoot stopped down to give me some depth of field leeway.
Managed to capture some ducks in flight as well, but will save those for later.

joe marquez the smoking camera x1d bird in flight B0000337.jpg

Shashin

Yanaka, Tokyo. An image from my book Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Emptiness. Shot with 6-stop ND.

If you are in Tokyo this week, stop by booth Z-011 at the Tokyo Art Book Fair.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Even though I'm only a 5 hour drive from Jackson, I haven't visited the Tetons in a couple of decades. Decided to remedy that over the weekend. Weather wasn't great, but have a few keepers from the trip. This is from Blacktail Ponds overlook.

Phase One XF/IQ3 100 with LS40-80mm lens at 80mm, 1/25th at f/11, ISO 50, ES

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Had to check out Moulton barn. Was later in the morning, but the storm moving through meant it wasn't going to get better, so I went ahead and took some shots. Liked this one in B&W.

Phase One XF/IQ3 100, LS 40-80mm, 1/25 sec (ES) at f/12. Tripod is extended as tall as I can get it and still reach the back, setup with Capture Pilot. Helped get a little more mountain above the barn.

Grayhand

Torne Träsk
Between Kiruna and Narvik

AFDll. some lens.. P45+

Time to go north again!
Hopefully somethings to photo in the mountains of Laplandia.
And not only work..

But there is about 3200 km in the car before I get home!
So there should at least be something worth a photo or two :watch:

Ray

stngoldberg

The Colony House, Newport RI
Stanley

The Newport Colony House is the fourth oldest statehouse still standing in the United States. It was designed by builder/architect Richard Munday, who also designed Trinity Church and the Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House in Newport. The Colony House was built between 1736 and 1739 by Benjamin Wyatt, and tradition maintains that a great number of African-Americans were employed in its construction.

The building replaced a smaller wooden courthouse built about 1687. The Colony House was constructed as part of the movement to bring formal town planning to Newport, which until then had developed in haphazard fashion. It was intended to help transform the Parade, as Washington Square was then named, into an elegant public space in keeping with the traditions of English cities. The design of the Colony House is derived from the English Georgian style popularized by the architect Sir Christopher Wren, but its floor plan follows the customary layout of English town or guild halls, which often had an open marketplace on the ground floor and civic offices on the second floor.

Many important events associated with the shaping of the United States occurred at the Colony House. In 1761, the death of George II and the ascension of George III was announced from the balcony. In 1766, citizens of Newport celebrated the repeal of the Stamp Act in and around the Colony House. In January and May of 1773, the building served as the meeting site of the Commission of Inquiry into the burning of the British revenue schooner Gaspee by Patriots in 1772. On July 20, 1776, Major John Handy read the Declaration of Independence from the front steps. During the British occupation of Newport from 1776 to 1779, the Colony House was used as a barracks.

stevenfr

This one is from last year. Aspens and maples. This composition looks very different depending on sunset vs sunrise light.

Steven

M

mjr

Evening!

After days of post processing work images, I'm back to reminiscing over previous trips and planning new ones, North Iceland is calling again!

This from last light driving back to my brothers house, something so magical about the roads over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.