The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

stngoldberg

Hi Dave,
Yes, a tripod is necessary on these images because being level is an absolute necessity. As a matter of fact, parts of these old buildings are not level from section to section; so I spend a lot of time working with my LCD in order to find a level compromise.
Ocassionly owners of these homes question my motivation, and I simply explain that the images are for my own private collection.
I further offer not to photograph their house if they object; so far all of the homeowners have gladly permitted me to proceed
Stanley

Shashin

Thanks for your feedback! I got a similar response from some friends at the local photo club. I may end up with two different images, probably in square format.
The top part of the image, I have seen it before. The same with the bottom part. The fact the two are together is what makes it interesting.

M

mjr

Evening!

I'm preparing for winter here, leaves almost gone, soon be snow. I've been looking back at old winter shots, here's one I like, the husky's aren't bothered at all!

D&A

The top part of the image, I have seen it before. The same with the bottom part. The fact the two are together is what makes it interesting.
You know something Will? Yesterday I was saying to myself that I bet you were going to post that exact thought...knowing you like things to be projected differently. :). Thanks for comming through...LOL.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
Morning!

We've had a couple of nights of huge aurora here, unfortunately very thick fog has hampered shooting anything interesting. I spent a couple of hours just capturing glimpses of it as the fog swirled around, this on the way home as the aurora died down and the fog lifted just enough to get a clear view of the sky.

Amazing place. Amazing image!

D&A

"One of the largest Cavalry battles of the American Civil War you never heard of"

Neither have most students, scholars and those who have a keen interest in the Civil War. They can easily name the historic battles of Gettysburg, Shiloh and Antietam and countless others, yet chances are good that even a Civil War expert will draw a blank if asked about the Battle of Jack's Shop (so named for a blacksmith's shop near the area of this battle) . While I attempted to take a detour to avoid an accident and road closures on the major byway some distance away, I found myself on small back roads that seemingly were in the middle of nowhere. Completely and unexpectedly, I glanced out of the corner of my eye and noticed a small plaque located just inside a crossroad. There before me stood the vast expanse of a field recently cleared of crops, with the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, far off in the distance.

Apparently one of the largest, bloodiest and deadliest two day Cavalry battles of the war took place here, where at the time, the battlefield was littered with enormous numbers of wounded and dead solders from both sides. So fierce was the fighting and the toll taken by local conscripts, that the surrounding town suffered from heavy economic loses and development for more than 150 years, while the rest of this county (Madison County Va.) moved on. The small village and homes that dot the landscape here appear much as they had more than 150 years ago. Just recently recognition of this historic location has taken place, with both the placing of a new roadside marker and a large battlefield reenactment of this little known battle. Upon subsequent visits to this location recently, I often notice a confluence of unusal weather patterns in the sky, close to the crossroads and it reminded me of the saying "The Winds of War".

Some of the surviving weary troops of the Battle of Jacks Shop marched on, 50 miles to the north, to Manassas Va., where well known historic battles of the war took place on what has become known as the Battlefields of Manassas Va. and Bull Run. I previously posted some images from this historic area.

The two images below are more for historical perspective than photographic value. Both were taken with the Pentax 645Z & FA 45-85mm.

The 1st image was taken of the Battlefield at Jacks Shop. The 2nd image was taken on one of the small hills on the Manassas Battlefield, where untold numbers of both Union and Confederate solders lost their lives and a historical memorial marker was placed. Until recently two Civil War canons flanked each side of the memorial marker but have been moved for what I believe might be their restoration. Facing west, it often makes for some striking and moving sunset images, of which I took previously with another camera system but have not yet posted

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Mat, my guess is your husky is dreaming of romping on the "warm" beaches of St. Tropez, no doubt in search of a French Poodle. :). I am very partial to Northern breed dogs and have some of my own. Adorable image!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
M

mjr

Thanks Tomerik and Dave for the kind words! I don't know what the dog is thinking Dave but that sounds like a pretty good plan to me!

Cheers and have a good weekend.

Mat

Edit, he's another who doesn't mind the winter, North Iceland.

vieri

A serene sunset at the Racetrack

A serene Racetrack sunset, taken during my Workshop in Death Valley in winter 2017.

Leica S (007), Leica Vario-Elmar-S 30-90mm at 35mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

Paul2660

[/url]3 sams fall sunset 1 by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fall not shaping up here again way too much drought. But finding old shots from past trips is always fun.
Fall sunset at Sam's Throne taken with an IQ180 and 43mm Schneider lens. The 43mm was a great lens, loved the fact it was symmetrical, (did not really appreciate that until I started shifting the 32mm and 40mm Rodenstocks which have classic retrofocus distortion). The 43mm also did not have any issues flare which surprised me and made a great sun star.

Paul Caldwell

Mark C

The shot below shows a section of disused railway line in Blyth harbour, Northumberland. Probably not used for at least 40 years this would have been used to transport cargo to and from what was once a busy port. GFX + GF 23mm:

Where the trains ran by Mark, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.