The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark C

Hello Mark,
I like it. Do you also have colour version? Just curious!
Thanks. Just the original RAW. I felt that the colours did nothing for the image hence the B and W version you see above. Whilst I appreciate that many people prefer colour, I tend to look for subjects which I think will work in B and W.

tcdeveau

I've had this shot in mind for awhile for the past few weeks, and with Nate moving in I took advantage of some cloud cover we finally got. Both of these are preliminary sloppy edits, but it's fun trying out some new post processing techniques....at least new to me. Couldn't decide on the composition I wanted, both with the X1D and 30mm XCD. I think exposure was about 1.5 minutes for both.

10-8-17_0226-Edit-2.jpg

10-8-17_0223 copy-Edit.jpg

Mark C

I've had this shot in mind for awhile for the past few weeks, and with Nate moving in I took advantage of some cloud cover we finally got. Both of these are preliminary sloppy edits, but it's fun trying out some new post processing techniques....at least new to me. Couldn't decide on the composition I wanted, both with the X1D and 30mm XCD. I think exposure was about 1.5 minutes for both.

View attachment 129648

View attachment 129649
I definately prefer the 1st image, the composition and the processing both appeal more than the 2nd version.

dave.gt

Todd,

I was going to send an email, but I think images like yours should get all the credit openly. I want to thank you for posting these two images of what was the premier Sears, Roebuck Co. store in the South when I was growing up.

You brought back memories and something tangible I can use to enlighten our grandchildren about so many things, not the least of which, how many joyous trips I made to that store when my mother would take me with her to shop by trolley. Some days we would go to Rich's, or even the smaller Sears store in West End. Either was a memorable treat for me. This particular store had many elevators and for a kid, it was fun being in an air conditioned building. I remember salesmen having large fans on sale, and they would turn them so they pointed upwards, vertically, and placed a beach ball in the airstream... magically, the ball would spin rapidly, and hang in the air forever, as long as the fan was plugged in.

Lots of memories in one of the few buildings that Atlanta had actually saved and restored.

Great images, bravo!:thumbs:

tcdeveau

Thanks for the feedback Mark, Joe, Dave and Dave! I’m with you, I like the first image more as well. I’ve got some more from yesterday to go through as well, but I think that first one above is the winner

Dave (GT) thanks for imparting some of the history of the building, I thought you might! I believe in my lifetime it’s been City Hall East, and it’s nice to see that such a landmark has been preserved.
-Todd

D&A

"Homestead in the Woods". Autumn morning in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
(Pentax 645D; FA 45-85mm)

D&A

Marc & Dave (GT)...cannot thank you enough for your extremely kind words. Its always humbling to receive such kind thoughts and also "likes" from fellow Getdpi members. So much fine work is posted by everyone which provides a lot of inspiration.

Dave (D&A)

dave.gt

Marc & Dave (GT)...cannot thank you enough for your extremely kind words. Its always humbling to receive such kind thoughts and also "likes" from fellow Getdpi members. So much fine work is posted by everyone which provides a lot of inspiration.

Dave (D&A)
Dave, you are both talented and gracious. For me, seeing beautiful work such as yours is truly humbling ... and inspiring simultaneously!:):):)

Ed Hurst

Fantastic!

Ed, I am beginning to embrace this type of photography, it seems very complex. Keep'em coning, they are beautiful and intriguing.:thumbup:

Thanks, Dave - and glad it's growing on you! The process is not that complex conceptually - it's just a load of work if you have a scene like this. The fact that there is a bright light source in the shot (the lighthouse) means that short-ish exposures are unavoidable; you need high ISO and wide aperture to capture the stars, so you can only manage between 2 and 4 seconds on each frame before the lighthouse becomes a problem. So I ended up stacking around 1800 frames. The added complication is that this scene (at this time of day) has loads of aircraft activity (fixed wing and helicopters), so almost all of those frames needing cleaning up. The sum total of that is mountains of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.