The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

pesto

Hurricane Irma passed through Florida on September 10th and 11th. While we had not suffered the damage other areas had, the effects of the storm are still being felt. This flooding is near the St John River in Brevard County. This was taken this evening.

I thought 24" of snow was bad, but you can shovel snow...

Here is one for the missery loves company file. Now about a month after Irma, I still gave about 8" of water in on the back of my property. This area is usually dry, if a bit moist at times. What we have now is as unwelcome as it is unusual; the mosquitoes are attacking in battalions and my rare and exotic trees are suffering badly.

20171010-L1002835.jpg

D&A

I can fully sympathize with you and everyone in Florida and elsewhere effected by the recent hurricanes. Relatives of mine live in the state and fortunately most of the uprooted trees surrounding their homes this time fell around the property and not on/thru the roof except for one. It still resulted in what will be extensive months long clean-ups. Not much anyone can do when mother nature rears her ugly head.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

stngoldberg

Can you imagine a business that had been in one family for 220 years since the 1705!
I met Nicholas Benson, who's family purchased the business, this morning when I photographed his place of business.
He is a very engaging young man who has a unique talent in a disappearing art form.

Stanley

John Stevens was born in Oxfordshire, England. He immigrated to the American Colonies in 1698 and lived in Boston for several years before moving to Newport, where he set up shop at 30 Thames Street in 1705. The shop moved across the street to 29 Thames Street in the mid-eighteenth century. John Stevens, his sons John II and William, and his grandson John III produced what are arguably some of colonial America's most beautiful gravestones, many of which still sit in the nearby Common Burying Ground. The Stevens family ran the Shop for more than 220 years. In 1927, it was purchased by John Howard Benson.

A Newport native, Benson studied at the Newport Art Association, the National Academy of Design and the Art Students League of New York. He became an internationally renowned stone carver, designer and calligrapher. He taught at the Rhode Island School of Design and, along with his business partner, Graham Carey, wrote the instructional book "The Elements of Lettering". He designed and carved inscriptions for Yale University, Harvard University and Brown University, and designed the inscriptions on the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery. In 1955, he was awarded the Craftsmanship medal by the American Institute of Architects. He died in 1956, passing the business to his son John Everett Benson.

The younger Benson began working for his father at 15. He studied sculpture at the Rhode Island School of Design. In 1964, he was commissioned to design and carve the inscriptions for the John F. Kennedy Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery. He carved gravestones for Tennessee Williams, Lillian Hellman and George Balanchine; designed and carved inscriptions for the Prudential Center in Boston, the Boston Public Library, the National Gallery of Art, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Center and the Armand Hammer Museum of Art in Los Angeles; and carved the date stones of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C. He designed site-specific fonts and incised inscriptions on the Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama; the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial in Washington, D.C.; and the Federal Courthouse in Boston. During his 40 years at the John Stevens Shop, Benson was awarded the Craftsmanship medal by the American Institute of Architects, the National Pell Award for Distinguished Achievement in the Arts and he was awarded an honorary Doctorate degree by the Rhode Island School of Design. In 2000, he received the Presidential Design Award for Excellence in the Arts for his work on the FDR Memorial. In 1993, he turned over the business to his son Nicholas Benson, who continues to produce hand-carved inscriptions in stone.

In 2007, Nicholas Benson was awarded the National Endowment for the Arts National Heritage Fellowship and in 2010 he was awarded a MacArthur Fellowship from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.

stevenfr

Trees in Mist. Hard to believe this mage was captured on my recent shoot in Colorado photographing aspen trees.

Steven

darr

Re: 1913 Martin Guitar

Made for Day Four of this challenge: Seven days, seven black and white photos of your life; no humans; no explanation.​

For any guitar players or collectors you might be interested in the history of this guitar. It was made in 1913 by the Martin Guitar Company for Oliver Ditson stores. My model has a split Rosewood back, light spruce top, and "C.F. Martin, Nazareth, PA" stamped on the back of the head. I run scales every once in awhile on this guitar, but it lives in its case. When I do play, it is Ovations, a Paul McGill classical, or a Fender Strat if I want to make noise. :)

dave.gt

Made for Day Four of this challenge: Seven days, seven black and white photos of your life; no humans; no explanation.​

For any guitar players or collectors you might be interested in the history of this guitar. It was made in 1913 by the Martin Guitar Company for Oliver Ditson stores. My model has a split Rosewood back, light spruce top, and "C.F. Martin, Nazareth, PA" stamped on the back of the head. I run scales every once in awhile on this guitar, but it lives in its case. When I do play, it is Ovations, a Paul McGill classical, or a Fender Strat if I want to make noise. :)
Darlene, I think your current challenge/project is a great thing. I really like the images you are coming up with, and I am envious of your processing skills. Can't wait to see more!:):)

darr

Darlene, I think your current challenge/project is a great thing. I really like the images you are coming up with, and I am envious of your processing skills. Can't wait to see more!:):)
Thank you Dave. We can share a challenge when you want.

dave.gt

Thank you Dave. We can share a challenge when you want.
Cool! I like your creativity!

The 1913 guitar is a wonderful reminder of both the longevity of music and the lasting functionality of an acoustic instrument. It is a perfect complement to photography! :)

Grayhand

Another from the Canadian Rockies. XF/100/SK150.
Bill, I always look forward to your photos from your part of the world!
Much reminds me about the nature in the northern Sweden
I have just returned from a trip to the "True North" and I must admit that there is one obvious thing that really is different!
And that is SCALE!

All your mountains are higher!
So I suspect thar your region is of an younger geological period compered to northern Sweden?

But it all boils down to one thing from my side : Envy :cool:

Looking forward to see much more of your good work!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.