The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mristuccia

a little soft, no?
I don't like today's habits of oversharpening images. :)
Besides jokes, just took the default "Nature" setting of Phocus, and used "smooth gradients" when downsizing in Photoshop for web sharing.
Those are my first experiments with a digital back. Do you think there's something wrong with my post-processing? I'm open to learn.

Thank you and best regards.

DanielDuarte

Besides jokes, just took the default "Nature" setting of Phocus, and used "smooth gradients" when downsizing in Photoshop for web sharing.
Those are my first experiments with a digital back. Do you think there's something wrong with my post-processing? I'm open to learn.

I don't see it as a post issue. They just look soft. I had the CFV back with a 503CW for a while and ditched it after a number of tests with a dealer who essentially gave me a short list of lenses that work well with the back, none of which were lenses I owned.

mristuccia

I don't see it as a post issue. They just look soft. I had the CFV back with a 503CW for a while and ditched it after a number of tests with a dealer who essentially gave me a short list of lenses that work well with the back, none of which were lenses I owned.
Ah ok, I get your point.
But I'm not looking at sharpness as ultimate measure of my images. Moreover, as I said, I've also smoothed the images a bit purposely.
Colour tones, dynamic range and microcontrast matter more for me than extreme razor-sharpness which looks too artificial. But I'm still learning, will see.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback!

romeobravophoto

Let's see if I've got this figured out...
All Natural Light & Handheld
Hasselblad X1D & 90/3.5

Hasselblad X1D and 45/3.5

...And one from before, when I posted it as a link vice an insert...
Hasselblad X1D & 90/3.5

dave.gt

Ah ok, I get your point.
But I'm not looking at sharpness as ultimate measure of my images. Moreover, as I said, I've also smoothed the images a bit purposely.
Colour tones, dynamic range and microcontrast matter more for me than extreme razor-sharpness which looks too artificial. But I'm still learning, will see.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback!
Hi,

Never stop learning...

Just take amazing pictures anyway and post them here. Darr is a member here and she has posted beautiful work with her CFV-50 back and we would love to see posts and how your work evolves!:thumbup:

Last edited:

darr

Hi mristuccia,

I do not see anything wrong with your images, quite the contrary, I think they are lovely! :clap:

If you feel you want to magnify the view through a PM viewfinder, try using the HASSELBLAD #42459 VIEW MAGNIFIER. I bought one, but find magnification on the sensor works best for me. I think for me, it was a matter of spending time with the gear to get to know it best. On my 501 I shoot portraits, and on my Flexbody I shoot macro work and nail the focus consistently. I am using the 120 CFi Macro, 135 CF Macro with bellows, and 150 CFi. I also enjoy using the CFV-50c with my ALPA cameras and Schneider lenses. I am very happy with the performance of my CFV-50c and kit. :)

Kind regards,
Darlene

Grayhand

903SWC, CFV50C

As I am using a CFV50C maybe i am not totally unbiased..

Sharpness/contrast in a photo is a choice made in post production (if of course focus is where you want it)
I respect peoples choice in this matter as a result of their individual vision.
But that also imply that I might not have made the same decision, but that is artistic freedom for all.

I have no problem with the CFV50C in regards to sharpness, If there is a problem, the back is not blame, it is mostly behind the back.
The base criteria regarding sharpness for me is that if the picture holds up to be printed 1x1 meter and to be inspected at close distance, then it is sharp enough.
My all time favourite combination now is the 903SWC and CFV50C. F16 at hyper focal and you don't have to worry no more..
I just watch the landscape and almost forgets about the camera.
And sharpness is no problem.

Ray

mristuccia

Hi mristuccia,

I do not see anything wrong with your images, quite the contrary, I think they are lovely! :clap:

If you feel you want to magnify the view through a PM viewfinder, try using the HASSELBLAD #42459 VIEW MAGNIFIER. I bought one, but find magnification on the sensor works best for me. I think for me, it was a matter of spending time with the gear to get to know it best. On my 501 I shoot portraits, and on my Flexbody I shoot macro work and nail the focus consistently. I am using the 120 CFi Macro, 135 CF Macro with bellows, and 150 CFi. I also enjoy using the CFV-50c with my ALPA cameras and Schneider lenses. I am very happy with the performance of my CFV-50c and kit. :)

Kind regards,
Darlene
Hi Darlene,

thank you for your kind feedback and for the hints! :)

I've recently bought the #42459 view magnifier together with a PM90 viewer. It works pretty well, I use it for portrait work and generally in all situations where using live view turns to be impracticable. Like you I also prefer using live view with still subjects.
I have a big set of Hassy stuff: a 503cw, a 500c/m, the CFE 40mm Distagon, the 80mm Planar, the CF 100mm Planar, the CF 120mm Makro Planar, the CF 180mm Sonnar and the 250mm Sonnar as well. That's the great value point of having the CFV-50c for me. Now I can switch from film (which I use a lot) to digital and vice-versa and keep a single (and beloved) photo kit.

Best,
Marco

mristuccia

Hi mristuccia,

Kind regards,
Darlene
Hi Darlene,

thank you for your kind feedback and for the hints! :)

I've recently bought the #42459 view magnifier together with a PM90 viewer. It works pretty well, I use it for portrait work and generally in all situations where using live view turns to be impracticable. Like you however, I prefer using live view in presence of still subjects.
I have a big set of Hassy stuff: a 503cw, a 500c/m, the CFE 40mm Distagon, the C80mm Planar, the CF 100mm Planar, the CF 120mm Makro Planar, the CF 180mm Sonnar and the 250mm Sonnar as well. That's the great value point of having the CFV-50c for me. Now I can switch from film (which I use a lot) to digital and vice-versa and keep a single (and beloved) photo kit.

Best,
Marco

Mark C

From my recent travels in the Middle East, taken just outside of the city of Tabriz in north western Iran, this shot shows a shepherds donkey in the midst of his flock of sheep. GFX + GF 110mm F2:

Odd one out by Mark, on Flickr

dave.gt

Hmmm..,

Peter, at these rainwater storage units? One looks like a broken swimming pool...

Just wondering, where do those animals eat? It looks quite sparse. :(

Pemihan

Hmmm..,

Peter, at these rainwater storage units? One looks like a broken swimming pool...

Just wondering, where do those animals eat? It looks quite sparse. :(
Yes, water storage units for the cattle. There's a lot of grass in the area but around the water units it's all gone...

dave.gt

First shaft of light at sunrise on lone tree in Cades Cove. X1D with HC 210mm and X-H adapter.

I love this tree, it is a perfect Four Seasons motif, and you must have this one on your calendar and check it each season, it is perfect for that! Thanks for sharing...:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.