The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Matt

CameraWest Leica SF and Leica Miami have S bodies at ridiculously low prices at the present. With the S 008 announcement approaching - maybe
in a couple of months ... might be worth taking a payment from the insurance and buying a beater ... then upgrading to the new body or S 007
when you know its specs.

Very sorry to hear of the loss ... nothing worse than watching the crash unfold and realizing it was not a minor thing.

Glad to hear that the lenses appear intact ... might want to have it tested to assure that the collimation is still good.

Bob
Bob,

I know I'll have no trouble getting a used 006, and might want to have one forever as a backup anyway. I tested the lenses by shooting center and corners, and the corners are all equal. I think it's very unlikely that something went out of adjustment perfectly evenly. The 24 is exactly as soft in the extreme corners as it ever was - it's amazing how much that hasn't harmed a single photo! The 45 and 100 show slight CA wide open in the corners - they're not APO.

As for 007 vs. waiting, I'm pretty sure whatever is next won't be on the shelves for a good while. If I can get an 007 at a decent price ... well, it depends on the insurance.

Thank you for the sympathy and advice,

Matt

docmoore

Matt,

The CCD in the 006 is hard to fault ... and gives a very compelling file.j

I agree that if the corners are ok then you should be fine ... how did you check? SL?

Bob

MGrayson

Friend’s S(006) :)

I agree about the 006 files. He always uses lights so has no use for the 007. For me, there are definite pluses.

Deltona

Prospects of a stormy day on the West coast today, I checked the tide tables and headed out to New Brighton. Suffice to say it was a tad windy.

Pentax 645z 80-160mm
_IMG5290-2-Edit-Edit.jpg

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The very last photo taken with my Leica S(006). Yesterday it met the concrete floor of a car rental garage way too fast. The lens hood of the 24/3.5 shattered, but it and the other two lenses checked out fine today. The S was not so lucky and is not worth repairing. :cry:

Best,

Matt
So sorry, Matt. I know that horrified incredulous feeling all to well after dropping my Phase back in a river a few years ago....if only one could turn the clock back!

dave.gt

Bill!!!

You dropped a Phase back into a river? Seriously? What a horrible feeling that must have been!!!!:bugeyes:

MGrayson

Thanks, Bill.

The S has to go to Germany to get a repair quote so I can convince the insurance company it's dead. I suppose it could always be surprisingly low, but that's not the usual story with major S repair.

Best,

Matt

algrove

So sorry, Matt. I know that horrified incredulous feeling all to well after dropping my Phase back in a river a few years ago....if only one could turn the clock back!
Hope I never have to use my mysterious disappearance insurance for something like that. Sorry to all that have such events.

Shashin

The very last photo taken with my Leica S(006). Yesterday it met the concrete floor of a car rental garage way too fast. The lens hood of the 24/3.5 shattered, but it and the other two lenses checked out fine today. The S was not so lucky and is not worth repairing. :cry:

Best,

Matt
This is supposed to be "Fun with MF," but that does not sound like fun. I remember taking a fall in the mountains and my Mamiya 6 getting the brunt of it. I was 10 days into a 20-day hike. :cry:

This was taken a few hours before I slipped. I had climbed the peak on the horizon the day before.

I spent a miserable night in the tent that day. :cry: It was all down hill from there--it took 10 hours the next day to get to the nearest bus stop. At least I did not have to waste time photographing the amazing scenery on the way down. :cry: :cry:

(Lucky for you it was one of those outdated CCD cameras. ;) )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

A little snow in central North Carolina. The operative word is "little".

Happy New Year!

Joe

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill!!!

You dropped a Phase back into a river? Seriously? What a horrible feeling that must have been!!!!:bugeyes:
This was before Phase redesigned the catch on the back/camera interface. I was mounting the camera on a tripod when the back fell off into 3 feet of swirling water. The back was recovered and repaired - at a cost of about $4,000!

This was at the start of a couple of weeks in the fall (no pun intended) in New England. Fortunately I had a Leica as a back up. But I was really p'd off. I may have wept.

But back to FUN with MF!

rayyen

Happy New Year 2018
Hong Kong New Year Firework Show

Hasselblad 4116
Hasselblad XCD45mm
F11 4sec iso100

Hasselblad 4116
Hasselblad XCD30mm
F16 4sec iso100

Last edited:
Status