The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7792

The bluebirds returned early this year (arrived a few weeks ago) and like to sit atop the feeder hanger keeping watch over the backyard and our kitchen. They’re not spooked by me walking up to the window and often fly over to the glass when they get more curious. These were taken through the window, hand held and manual focus.

Joe

MILESF

I first photographed these trees in 2016 and again in 2018. I hope to return in 2020.

Biei, Hokkaido.

Phase One XF, IQ3100, SK55mm, C1Pro11.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

I didn't get the memo regarding the theme "Fun with Trees", so I'm late to the party. A blast from the past from a cold morning in Cades Cove.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Hurst

Well... everybody loves a story! How about both?:):):)

Okey dokes :thumbup:

First the exhibit itself. These pictures were taken during Sydney's celebration of Chinese (Lunar) New Year. With close links to Asia (and an increasing population of people with Asian heritage), the city each year organises various events to celebrate, including lanterns like this in key city locations. They represent the 12 Chinese Zodiacal signs, with a high profile location given to whichever one depicts the animal representing the year ahead.

In 2017, the year of the rooster began (being English, the word rooster doesn't quite sit with me, but then I couldn't really say "year of the cock", so let's go with rooster). At the time, the rooster lantern was placed next to the Opera House, given pride of place. This year, the same lantern has been positioned next to Circular Quay (still high-profile, but not centre-stage). 2018 sees the beginning of the year of the dog, so a canine lantern is next to the Opera House.

So there you have it - that's why the roosters are there!

(I do have pictures of the dog too, but they were taken as part of a commission for the City of Sydney, so I'm not able to post the pictures here just now...)

As for the story of the picture-taking, this happened on a rainy night (which kept crowds down and provided glistening surfaces). I wanted to produce some dynamic shots, so did a couple of them (one of a rooster's face and one of the pigs) zooming during exposure. The one of the rabbits was shot by panning the camera during exposure (because that seemed to suit the pose of the animals). In each case, the shot was blended with a static frame for sharp details in key areas.

With the zoom shots, the blurred frame was accentuated with a little radial blur in post, but most of the effect was achieved in-camera. I find the end-result is much more pleasing that doing the whole thing in post.

Hope that satisfies the story-telling instinct :).

dave.gt

Okey dokes :thumbup:

First the exhibit itself. These pictures were taken during Sydney's celebration of Chinese (Lunar) New Year. With close links to Asia (and an increasing population of people with Asian heritage), the city each year organises various events to celebrate, including lanterns like this in key city locations. They represent the 12 Chinese Zodiacal signs, with a high profile location given to whichever one depicts the animal representing the year ahead.

In 2017, the year of the rooster began (being English, the word rooster doesn't quite sit with me, but then I couldn't really say "year of the cock", so let's go with rooster). At the time, the rooster lantern was placed next to the Opera House, given pride of place. This year, the same lantern has been positioned next to Circular Quay (still high-profile, but not centre-stage). 2018 sees the beginning of the year of the dog, so a canine lantern is next to the Opera House.

So there you have it - that's why the roosters are there!

(I do have pictures of the dog too, but they were taken as part of a commission for the City of Sydney, so I'm not able to post the pictures here just now...)

As for the story of the picture-taking, this happened on a rainy night (which kept crowds down and provided glistening surfaces). I wanted to produce some dynamic shots, so did a couple of them (one of a rooster's face and one of the pigs) zooming during exposure. The one of the rabbits was shot by panning the camera during exposure (because that seemed to suit the pose of the animals). In each case, the shot was blended with a static frame for sharp details in key areas.

With the zoom shots, the blurred frame was accentuated with a little radial blur in post, but most of the effect was achieved in-camera. I find the end-result is much more pleasing that doing the whole thing in post.

Hope that satisfies the story-telling instinct :).
Yes, sir, those are great stories. You always have such unique images and now adding the dialogue, it opens my mind to the reality and how you shot them. All of that adds a new dimension to the images and I appreciate your work both in pictures and writing!:):):)

Btw, the colors are what caught my eye along with the mood you captured. I must try a walkabout one evening in the rain myself!

D&A

Thanks for the back stories Ed. Very interesting! Hoping one day to visit your neck of the woods. Its been on my wish list for as long as I can remember.

Just one thing..."Okey dokes"???? Hmm, We know it as "Okie Dokie". Must be a Northern/ Southern hemisphere thing...LOL. (Just having fun Ed). Thanks for the interesting images and stories.

Dave (D&A)

Ed Hurst

Thanks, chaps. Always a pleasure to discuss photography with you :thumbs:

As for "okey dokes", being someone who grew up in England and lived there until his mid-thirties, but who's now lived in Oz for 8 years, I find it hard to remember what idiom sits where and whether I am using an expession straight-up, or engaging in some sort of ironically referential meta-expression based on adapting a turn of phrase and further twisting it... fortunately Australia excels at that sort of thing, often forgetting it's even doing it, so it's all readily accepted without so much as a batted eyelid!

Last edited:

D&A

You're forgiven Ed and thanks for the explanation. . You are obviously between two cultures and that makes it difficult.

I too experience the same, between the southern culture of Virginia, the northern culture of NYC (my original hometown) and Washington D.C. in the middle, which has elements of both.

Its a culture shock created by a 6 hr driving difference. You do know all this is good fun and its all about the lovely imagery regardless of where one is from or the circumstances. :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

JohnBrew

FYI, there used to be a comic strip in the 1950's - early 60's called "Okey Dokes" where the main character was a knight in days of yore. Never saw it in the big town "funnies" but our small town rag in West Texas carried it.

Ed Hurst

You do know all this is good fun and its all about the lovely imagery regardless of where one is from or the circumstances. :)

Dave (D&A)
Of course :ROTFL:

You make the positive intent very clear at all times. Not only that, but both England and Australia excel at affectionate, ironic, leg-pulling badinage so I'm on the wavelength :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.