The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shashin

This is the top of one of the 30 ft. levees along the major rivers through Tokyo. This is in Edogawa ward. The land on the far side is at sea level. It has a population density of 35,900 people/sq. mi. If the Tokyo's levees ever broke, millions of people would be effected.

D&A

Very interesting - I love a picture with a back-story!

Would love to know if the current railway bridge (that crosses the river) represents an alternative on what is essentially the same route, or if the line that the old brige was on has entirely vanished into history.
Ed (and others), to briefly continue with this story with reference to my Harpers Ferry posted image a few posts above, I'll refer to the link posted at end of this description which briefly discusses and contains historical images, how this single Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Civil War era rail line was eventually divided into at least two lines via bridges in both the 1800's and early 1900's (also with the addition of a tunnel bored through the hillside). This created separate rail subdivisions, each originally run by the B&O railway. Nearly 100 years later, this historic railroad (B&O) was consolidated with other freight rail companies into what is now the CSX freight service railway. At roughly the same time, passenger rail service in the U.S. also was consolidated into what is known as "Amtrak". Amtrak currently shares the CSX rail bed in and around Harpers Ferry and elsewhere) and one can often view alternating types of trains rolling through Harper's Ferry and its associated station throughout the day.

If one refers to my posted picture a few postings above (with the tree and those Civil War era bridge pylons) and does a complete about face from that very spot, one can see another large pylon from that era and next to it, the diverging rail beds and parts of the two bridge crossings as well as the tunnel, all built in the 19th and early 20th century. This is shown in my posted pictures below.

If you click on the link below, one of the small Civil War era photographs shown is of the original 1851 railway bridge with its pylons...these are the same pylons shown in my posted image from yesterday. Additionally, a walkway from one of these early bridges (not shown in my images but is illustrated in the link provided) is still in use for the general public that abuts the railway tracks on one of the bridges. One can almost touch the passing railcars whizzing by. This is also shown in one of the historical images shown in the link.

Below is a reposting of a few of my previous images, illustrating some of these bridges and rail lines....

...and here is the link to the backstory accompanied by some historical images:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_&_O_Railroad_Potomac_River_Crossing

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

Last edited:

Shashin

Since we are doing bridges, this is Tokyo Gate Bridge. This and the island beyond it, Tokyo's largest landfill, represent the city's greatest extent into the bay.

It is also a bit of an optical illusion--are the piers getting thinner or taller with distance?

M

mjr

Ooh, I like bridges! This one I have photographed a few times, I find it fascinating purely because it disappears in to a little dirt track and nobody uses it! I can only guess there are future development plans but it's been up a few years now.

bcambern

Ooh, I like bridges! This one I have photographed a few times, I find it fascinating purely because it disappears in to a little dirt track and nobody uses it! I can only guess there are future development plans but it's been up a few years now.

Very nice Mat. The OCD part of me wishes you could make the flags on the right side of the bridge blow in the opposite direction. :loco:

M

mjr

Haha, next time it's blowing the other way I'll get a shot and do a split down the middle!

In celebration of International Women's Day, took a couple of quick grab shots this morning of some of the women working on the clearance of the unexploded bombs, pretty incredible work they do regardless of the day!

Shashin

Maybe too much?
It is a rather subjective question. I think if I were trying this (and I don't have the image, so it is hard to tell), I might have let the shadows go toward black. I think that might add depth to the valley by emphasizing where the light is pooling in the trees. But I have never been bothered by having deep shadows, others are more sensitive to shadow detail. But a great image regardless.

tsjanik

It is a rather subjective question. I think if I were trying this (and I don't have the image, so it is hard to tell), I might have let the shadows go toward black. I think that might add depth to the valley by emphasizing where the light is pooling in the trees. But I have never been bothered by having deep shadows, others are more sensitive to shadow detail. But a great image regardless.
Will:

That's how I would typically process an image like this. For comparison, below is a similar shot, taken at the same time. NB: Images are brighter on the screen I use for the internet, and I assume yours, so prints are darker. My prints of the attached image have no detail in the lower left and so I tried some different approaches.

I hope you're enjoying FL; winter, at this point, is getting a bit old up here.

Tom

Untitled_HDR2 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Shashin

I hope you're enjoying FL; winter, at this point, is getting a bit old up here.
Tom, thanks. I must admit, I have adjusted very well to this eternal summer. Although, today was cold: temps only reached the low 60s! (cue violins) My wife so much prefers looking at snow on the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.