The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel,

Many of you images. like the one posted above (especially with the look of the distant background and window reflections), reminds me of the style of the well known photorealistic painter Richard Estes, who's work I'm a fan of. His work primarily comprised of cityscapes, especially of New York. His paintings often comprise of clean looks, geometric shapes of city buildings, unbeliveable realistic window/glass reflections and other city related structures and are often so real, they can fool the viewer into thinking they are photographs. Below is the link to many of his images and clicking on some, might provide some idea of what I am describing.

On a separate note, did you just obtain the Pentax 28-45mm lens? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Here is the link to Richard Estes work:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ric...AEwEA#imgrc=CV4QX-WXTbewIM:&spf=1520894192203

Dave (D&A)
Well seen! I am familiar with his work although it was only a few years after working on my window dressing series that I seriously looked closer at his work to find out how astonishing close related my photographs were to his paintings. Very close in the way of picking a scene and composition. It is all very masterly done. Besides that it is unbelievable clever, it is a bit hard for me to understand why you should put so much effort in painting these scenes. I assume he did photograph the scenes first.

Yeah now that lens. Don't know yet. Yesterday was the first outing with it and I must say at first sight i was a bit disapointed, merely because the lens is so expensive although I bought it for half the price but still. After working on the files a bit I think I like it. The images have a certain crispyness due to its modern design. Very clean. It is exactly the range I need for my work.
I was shooting a lot @ F 14 and just as I have red it has diffraction at the center, the corners were in fact sharper. I think F 11 will do better. My A 35 can keep up in sharpness easely and it is a lot smaller and lighter.
Also the lens is big and heavy. One of my bigger photobags, which normally contains 6 or 8 MF lenses is now completly filled with just the camera and this lens.
I have been walking for three hours with this set around my neck and I must say it is a bit much. It is really huge. I hope to benefit more of the wide side of this lens working on my recent project in the tighter and narrow streets of coastel France.
I have to get to know this lens a bit more. I also expect more as soon more land-and seascapes are part of the scene. Because i have seen amazing landscape shots with this lens. Only shot 60 images with it till now.
Anyway thank you Dave for your comment and interest.

Here's another one from yesterday.

dave.gt

Ed,

Somehow the second one has a simple interpretation if one looks at it close enough. The first one is cool but somewhat difficult to notice, at least without studying the details of the image.

Being torn artistically is good yet emotional/frustrating for me at times because it is like trying to talk without being heard, as if I have lost my voice. No matter which version of an image I like, there are times there is something I want expressed in a certain way with another one.

I usually walk away and revisit the dilemma at a later date.... or flip a coin!:):):(

D&A

Michiel, thanks ever so much for your informative response. The similarity of structure and form and clarity of your photographic imagery to that of Richard Estes photo realistic paintings is uncanny. I am glad you are familiar with his work. Early on I was not aware that he most often photographed his subject (cityscape) from various angles and used those photographs as the basis for his paintings. In fact in one of his paintings, you can see his reflection in a storefront glass window, with Estes peering into his camera that's mounted on a tripod. I have no idea what camera he used nor much about his photographic images.

Regarding the Pentax 28-45mm, your comments closely reflect what other have said regarding their experiences with this lens. Big and heavy and when attached to the 645 D/Z body, is quite a handful to lug around. Sharpness and clarity is exceptionally good, especially towards the sides and corners when compared to the Pentax 25mm 645 lens, who's strength lies in astonishingly sharp central region (and of course a bit wide in focal length). I came close on a number of occasions to picking up the 28-45mm lens but each time held off thinking maybe "next time". Well maybe "next time" (with springtime and summer almost upon us) might at least be the right time for me. Size and weight vs. all the positive attributes of this lens is still being assessed. Thanks again Michiel, much appreciated.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

etrump

Hi Michiel, I have to agree with Dave, your work has subtle beauty that is inspirational. Your images grow on the viewer with time - a rare quality. I think it is in part the absolutely perfect realism. Another rare quality these days.

:thumbs:

Ed

Amsterdam

Pentax 645Z DA 28-45 ( Heavy and expensive :shocked: )

etrump

In that case you should get a balcony room at The Tides Folly Beach. The view should be about perfect with the sun rising over the pier at sunrise and great afternoon light on the scene.

Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the advice... being wheelchair bound, we have to find places to stay that are way more than backpack accessible. It is difficult to do when we have the rare opportunity to go anywhere.

I love your comment about being on the coast! I have a coastal confession... haven't been in years which is hard to believe when we used to pack up and go with the kids and later, when we were alone after the empty nest thing.

And now that I am hopelessly entrenched in Dante's medium format underworld, we are house-bound. Time to change that with a road trip! Hmmm... going to need a folding bicycle, some flip flops, sunscreen, a couple of good books to read, hotel reservations, car maintenance, etc.... and a GPS map of all the beautiful locations that have been posted on this forum. This is getting complicated...:facesmack:

Sounds like a nice lounge chair on the patio with my iPhone is just what the doctor ordered! Lol...:):):)

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, thanks ever so much for your informative response. The similarity of structure and form and clarity of your photographic imagery to that of Richard Estes photo realistic paintings is uncanny. I am glad you are familiar with his work. Early on I was not aware that he most often photographed his subject (cityscape) from various angles and used those photographs as the basis for his paintings. In fact in one of his paintings, you can see his reflection in a storefront glass window, with Estes peering into his camera that's mounted on a tripod. I have no idea what camera he used nor much about his photographic images.

Regarding the Pentax 28-45mm, your comments closely reflect what other have said regarding their experiences with this lens. Big and heavy and when attached to the 645 D/Z body, is quite a handful to lug around. Sharpness and clarity is exceptionally good, especially towards the sides and corners when compared to the Pentax 25mm 645 lens, who's strength lies in astonishingly sharp central region (and of course a bit wide in focal length). I came close on a number of occasions to picking up the 28-45mm lens but each time held off thinking maybe "next time". Well maybe "next time" (with springtime and summer almost upon us) might at least be the right time for me. Size and weight vs. all the positive attributes of this lens is still being assessed. Thanks again Michiel, much appreciated.

Dave (D&A)
Dave, I really would like to see the photographs of Estes. Should be very interesting.

The lens I bought was for sale for month's at a big camera store here in the Netherlands. There are not many people who pay these prices for a Pentax lens. I almost bought it two month's ago. They brought it for me to there local dealer in Amsterdam to pick it up but I had to let it go because my van broke down and I had to buy a new car. But I kept on seeing the add for this lens and i thought this must be an 'oomen' that the lens didn't sell and that it was ment for me and me only.
So I send them a mail and bargained off some more of the price. Lens is mint with box and 1 year warrenty.

If you are patient it is possible to find it for half the price, which is still enough for me :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel, I have to agree with Dave, your work has subtle beauty that is inspirational. Your images grow on the viewer with time - a rare quality. I think it is in part the absolutely perfect realism. Another rare quality these days.

:thumbs:

Ed
Thank you Ed for your kind words. :salute:

dave.gt

In that case you should get a balcony room at The Tides Folly Beach. The view should be about perfect with the sun rising over the pier at sunrise and great afternoon light on the scene.

Ed
Cool! I will check that out!!!

Thanks, Ed!:):):)

D&A

Hi Michiel,

Apparently Estes photographs a subject (cityscape) from a variety of angles and then cuts up the photos of an individual cityscape and rearranges the various elements to come up with his view of an scene (image) to paint. I don't believe he has ever shown or published his actual photographs.

Here is a link to a very brief article describing his process:

https://www.npr.org/2014/12/16/369635057/painting-or-photograph-with-richard-estes-it-s-hard-to-tell

...and here is a tight crop from one of his paintings done many years ago, which contains a self portrait of Estes as a young man with his camera on a tripod.

As for the 28-45mm lens, again thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure the right one for me will come along and like yours, will have my name on it. :)

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

Snow day yesterday in central North Carolina. Even the birds were confused.

Female Northern Cardinal:

Male Eastern Bluebird in a WTF moment:

I was losing daylight fast since this was about 6pm (I forgot to set my camera's time forward with the time change this past weekend, so the EXIF time is incorrect). A little grainy using ISO 6400. No noise reduction applied in order to preserve detail. Both hand-held and manual focus.

Joe

vjbelle

Joe.... you sure are having fun with the 210mm lens. Out of curiosity do you have any concerns about the lens weight and its impact on the lens mount?

Victor

D

Deleted member 7792

Joe.... you sure are having fun with the 210mm lens. Out of curiosity do you have any concerns about the lens weight and its impact on the lens mount?

Victor
Thanks Victor. No, I have no anxiety about the weight of the lens stressing the lens mount. When I hand hold the camera and lens, my left hand is supporting the lens. When I use the lens with a tripod, the X-H adapter I'm using has a ppl.de collar with foot, taking weight from the lens mount itself. So far, so good. I really enjoy using the HC 210mm.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

vjbelle

Thanks for including the link Joe...... that foot is very necessary when tripod use is warranted. I'm outside of Memphis which is just about the same latitude as you and we also have numerous Blue Birds. We have two houses set up and contribute to the population year after year.

Cheers......

Victor

D

Deleted member 7792

One more for the bird lovers. Or for the snow lovers. Or for...

Female Northern Cardinal:

WB is a little off on this one. The snow is a little bluish and shouldn't be.

Joe

M

mjr

Afternoon

Crazy busy with bombs this last few weeks so almost no time for any personal photography. I did grab an hour at the weekend with a local girl for a few quick shots, nothing fancy. Found a huge sand dune not far from where we work which was interesting, completely flat light though unfortunately.

And a quick shot of a colleagues kid with her phone, very dark so basically just the light from the screen, a nice little grab shot though.

Not very exciting, hopefully more chance this coming weekend.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.