The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

I love a good storm, proper nasty weather here this morning.

Just a couple of grab shots for fun, too windy for a tripod.

Kinya28

Hokkaido 2018 Winter #13

Lightly snow covered Ranch, Teshikaga, Hokkaido, Japan

Kinya

XF, IQ3100, SK150mm

"Bridge over troubled water"
Aggersund-bridge connects Aggersund and Himmerland, Denmark. This image was captured early in the morning with some fog in the air. Leica S + Summarit 35mm CS, 30s@f19

TS2001-preview.jpg

Great shot!! Just curious how you came up with f/19. Is that what you determined with live view would give the DOF you needed?
Thanks for your feedback. My "old-fashion" S 006-type does not come with a live-view function. My experience is that f/19 is a very good compromise of excellent DOF and total sharpness with the 35mm lens. At f/22 the diffraction is noticeable and will have some impact on the total sharpness. Another option would of course be to do 2-3 images for focus-stacking at f/11.

WildRover

From mid June last year here in Door County, Wisconsin.

Rick

Pentax 645D, four images merged in Lightroom then the ends cropped off some. Pentax-A 35mm, Lee hood and graduated neutral density filter - can't remember which one, ISO 100, f/13, 1/10 sec. My not so great tripod is an old, beat up, used to be a spare, aluminum 3 section Gitzo Systemic 3 something, but has become my main tripod until I can replace it with new 4 section carbon fiber legs. Tight budget these days. I use an old Gitzo Systemic leveling base with its bubble level. I can usually get pretty close but theres a lot of fumbling around if I keep moving the tripod to find a spot. For panos, after leveling the best I can, its then simple to rotate the RRS BH-55 on its panning base to shoot a series of images. My current finances keep Dante at bay, but I sure enjoy reading in the tripod section and elsewhere the futile battle others have in the inferno.

Edit: I like to be as accurate and descriptive as possible when I ramble on about things. The Pentax-A series lenses only record f/stop in the metadata and in Lightroom the lens focal length is left blank. Well…….early onset dementia I think. Pretty sure this is not the 35mm, but the Pentax-A 120mm. How could those ever be confused? It used to be that I could remember just about everything about the photos that I have taken. Now, if I don't have notes or metadata, things get a bit foggy. :loco:

Attachments

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks for your feedback. My "old-fashion" S 006-type does not come with a live-view function. My experience is that f/19 is a very good compromise of excellent DOF and total sharpness with the 35mm lens. At f/22 the diffraction is noticeable and will have some impact on the total sharpness. Another option would of course be to do 2-3 images for focus-stacking at f/11.
If it were me I’d also stop way down for this shot to get the superb star bursts for the lights. For pure DoF I wouldn’t consider that level of stopping down necessary normally.

vjbelle

Going over some of my images from my last Italy trip. I liked this both in BW and color but BW got the nod. Looking North at Pienza within a half an hour of sunrise. I thought about cropping but the foreground adds depth.

Actus, Phase 3100, 120mm Schneider Digitar, BW processing in PS.

Victor

Attachments

ejpeiker

Time for another aerial image from the northwestern part of Australia's Kimberley region. The tidal basin where the timor Sea meets the desert can make for some very interesting formations from 2000 feet up; taken straight down in a bank from a no doors helicopter (with safe quick release harness!)
P1 XF-IQ3100, SK 80mm, ISO 400, f/8, 1/2000s

AUS_Wyndham02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.