The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

Afternoon

I'm working a lot on both sides of what was the DMZ in Vietnam, we clear unexploded bombs from the entire area, basically thousands of them! I have recently been talking to older Vietnamese people, hearing their stories of what life was like during the war from their point of view. I had a few hours of amazing stories from this woman today, she was 17 when she married her husband, he left 4 days later and returned after 6 years fighting, just for a few days before leaving again for 2 years. She saw him for less than a few weeks over the duration of the war, got pregnant each time, she laughed as she told me!

It's interesting, shocking and often difficult to hear the horrific stories of life and death on both sides, it would be a great book project I'm sure, not the big battles, just the daily life of people completely surrounded and absorbed by the conflict.

Anyway, a quick shot of a woman who sees herself as extremely lucky to have survived.

dave.gt

Such a treasure of beautiful captures posted here. I hesitate to even post anything from my boring life.

But I will occasionally just to see how far I need to go to even see the bar that is always being raised higher!

Out of sheer curiosity, I strive for different things with each image. Here is one from the 503cxi:
The Alamo Theatre Newnan 2017 Normal Post FINAL.jpg

I am still not sure about this one, but it fits in with my motorcycle helmet that reads: "I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!":thumbs:

Still learning.:)

Last edited:

mediumcool

Afternoon

I'm working a lot on both sides of what was the DMZ in Vietnam, we clear unexploded bombs from the entire area, basically thousands of them! I have recently been talking to older Vietnamese people, hearing their stories of what life was like during the war from their point of view. I had a few hours of amazing stories from this woman today, she was 17 when she married her husband, he left 4 days later and returned after 6 years fighting, just for a few days before leaving again for 2 years. She saw him for less than a few weeks over the duration of the war, got pregnant each time, she laughed as she told me!

It's interesting, shocking and often difficult to hear the horrific stories of life and death on both sides, it would be a great book project I'm sure, not the big battles, just the daily life of people completely surrounded and absorbed by the conflict.
Great ructions in her life, but the lady remains positive!

Why am I commenting? I missed out on a birth-date lottery in 1972, to join the Australian Army and participate in that atrocious misadventure generally known as the Vietnam War. Four years earlier, our then prime minister (Harold Holt) made headlines with “all the way with LBJ” (re-using a Democratic Party slogan), a sentiment which has unfortunately persisted in this country. I have had a continuing fascination with Vietnam ever since—I would like to visit sometime—it’s also my favourite cuisine on the planet!

And there’s a Charles McCarry novel with a connection; beautiful writing!

M

mjr

I have put on a few kg's during my time here, amazing food for sure!

I knew very little about Vietnam before arriving, I am working with extremely knowledgeable expats and obviously locals, I have worked in conflict zones all over the world from Iraq to Afghanistan, Mali to Sudan, it's different here because encountering the country with little knowledge, you'd never think there had been a conflict.

And yet, just below the surface, there are stories from everywhere, all sides, horror stories and love stories, the stories of children and families living underground, of tying banana leaves to their backs so they could harvest rice at night without being shot, today I heard of young girls who had to go and bury the bodies of 11 soldiers who were blown up, they had to scrape bits of flesh in to 11 piles and bury them because there was no way to identify anything. I have asked what it was like at the end, the day after the war finished, the stories of relief are amazing.

I have seen a lot of books, I don't know how interested people are in reading these things, probably not at all, but I'm fascinated by the life and the struggles of normal people who maybe didn't understand why they were involved, who were too young to know and those who can speak with the benefit of life and years of understanding. I don't think I can do it justice but I am fascinated by the stories anyway.

Cheers

Mat

I've been mostly a lurker / learner on this forum so thanks everyone for the amazingly inspirational images and sage wisdom. Apparently the medium format Kool-Aid has worked as I'm now using medium format film and digital for my landscape work. After working my way through a variety of cameras (500CM, Xpan, 203FE) looking for a good fit, I've settled on a Mamiya 6 system and a new Hasselblad X1D with 45mm Xpan lens.

So cheers and thanks, Bill

Wreck of the Peter IRedale, 2017.jpg

Wreck of the Peter Iredale, 2017
Hasselblad Flexbody | 50mm | Ilford Pan F Plus

Mark C

Such a treasure of beautiful captures posted here. I hesitate to even post anything from my boring life.

But I will occasionally just to see how far I need to go to even see the bar that is always being raised higher!

Out of sheer curiosity, I strive for different things with each image. Here is one from the 503cxi:
View attachment 133667

I am still not sure about this one, but it fits in with my motorcycle helmet that reads: "I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!":thumbs:

Still learning.:)
I like this, Dave. I reckon that if you could have taken that shot 50 years or more ago and, save for the modern vehicles, it would have looked much the same. In fact I could easily imagine it with an old Chevy or a 50's Ford pickup parked there. Nicely done.

Ed Hurst

Pentax 645Z with 25mm DA lens

Australia Square, Sydney (one of the city's early high rise buildings, as held up by some as a masterpiece). I am no fan of such buildings, but it does make a nice modern image.

The security guard turned up after I had been shooting for nearly an hour and told me that "high powered" cameras like mine would require a permit. I kept him talking for ten mins (while the camera was still shooting) about how such permits could be obtained... The extra ten minutes made it work ;-)

[/url]StarTrailsFromFiles_EWR9206-0623_Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

dj may

I have not been to Vietnam. I have been to Cambodia, and while there I spoke with Chum Mey, one of 12 survivors of the dreaded S21 prison in Phnom Penh. This is where people were taken by the Khmer Rouge, tortured and then if they survived that, taken to the Killing Fields. Chum Mey only survived because the shackles, with which prisoners were attached to the transport vehicle, were not available for him. It is one thing to read about it, and another to speak with a survivor and see the evidence of the horror yourself. I made photos there with 4x5 film, including one with Chum Mey. It is one of my cherished photos.

A side note; Vietnam ousted Pol Pot from Cambodia.

Jesse

I have put on a few kg's during my time here, amazing food for sure!

I knew very little about Vietnam before arriving, I am working with extremely knowledgeable expats and obviously locals, I have worked in conflict zones all over the world from Iraq to Afghanistan, Mali to Sudan, it's different here because encountering the country with little knowledge, you'd never think there had been a conflict.

And yet, just below the surface, there are stories from everywhere, all sides, horror stories and love stories, the stories of children and families living underground, of tying banana leaves to their backs so they could harvest rice at night without being shot, today I heard of young girls who had to go and bury the bodies of 11 soldiers who were blown up, they had to scrape bits of flesh in to 11 piles and bury them because there was no way to identify anything. I have asked what it was like at the end, the day after the war finished, the stories of relief are amazing.

I have seen a lot of books, I don't know how interested people are in reading these things, probably not at all, but I'm fascinated by the life and the struggles of normal people who maybe didn't understand why they were involved, who were too young to know and those who can speak with the benefit of life and years of understanding. I don't think I can do it justice but I am fascinated by the stories anyway.

Cheers

Mat

etrump

Awesome light at the Wanaka tree on the South Island of New Zealand. I was fortunate to have two great mornings here last week.

XF/IQ3100/75-150

DC06C9E8-E6D6-4E4B-9955-BE9ECE2C97E3.jpg

Quentin_Bargate

Doge's Palace, Venice: Fuji GFX 50s, Canon 24mm TS-E, Cambo adapter, tripod.

Thsi is cropped from a 2 shot stitched image. Its semi symmetrical form, and adherance (almost) to the so called law of thirds, and the single distant visitor, sitting on the far right, all appealed to me.

Mark C

I've criticised the GFX AF system a few times so when I took this today (from a moving vehicle, through the windscreen, of another moving vehicle, closing speed approx 100mph) I was quite surprised to find the AF had locked and given me a sharp shot. GFX + GF 110mm:

Slow? by Mark, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.