The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7792

Wow Ed! Apocalyptic! I would like to say "Holy smokes!", but that would be too corny. :ROTFL: Great captures of a one-of-a-kind sunset.

Joe

M

mjr

Morning

Apologies if these are a little sensitive for some.

In my discussions with survivors here in Vietnam, I had the opportunity to visit 4 people yesterday, all victims in one way or another from the war or from ERW, explosive remnants of war. It was really sad, interesting and moving all at the same time.

What was really interesting was that I met a range of people who have been affected through the years, a woman who was 6 or 7 at the start of the war who lost her leg and most of her family, a guy who in the early 90's moved a cluster munition from his field which exploded and he lost both hands and an eye, a guy who just 2 years ago working on a dredging barge on the river sucked up a bomb which exploded as it came through the pipe and hit the boat causing serious brain damage and physical injuries, this was the last guy I met.

5 years ago he happened to be cooking over a fire without knowing there was a cluster munition buried below, the heat set off the fuse and he lost both hands, an eye and most of the use of his second eye, pretty debilitating injuries and a tough time recovering.

We spoke for an hour, he had his wife and parents with him and has been receiving support with help to start a little family shop but these people are incredibly poor, they have almost nothing. Life goes on though, he has a son who basically cried every time he saw me!

I photographed and have stories from all the people I met today, not sure if people want to read but can post more or leave it off the forum if preferred, although I think stories should be told, just may not be the right place!

sjg284

Incredible and moving, thank you for sharing

Morning

Apologies if these are a little sensitive for some.

In my discussions with survivors here in Vietnam, I had the opportunity to visit 4 people yesterday, all victims in one way or another from the war or from ERW, explosive remnants of war. It was really sad, interesting and moving all at the same time.

What was really interesting was that I met a range of people who have been affected through the years, a woman who was 6 or 7 at the start of the war who lost her leg and most of her family, a guy who in the early 90's moved a cluster munition from his field which exploded and he lost both hands and an eye, a guy who just 2 years ago working on a dredging barge on the river sucked up a bomb which exploded as it came through the pipe and hit the boat causing serious brain damage and physical injuries, this was the last guy I met.

5 years ago he happened to be cooking over a fire without knowing there was a cluster munition buried below, the heat set off the fuse and he lost both hands, an eye and most of the use of his second eye, pretty debilitating injuries and a tough time recovering.

We spoke for an hour, he had his wife and parents with him and has been receiving support with help to start a little family shop but these people are incredibly poor, they have almost nothing. Life goes on though, he has a son who basically cried every time he saw me!

I photographed and have stories from all the people I met today, not sure if people want to read but can post more or leave it off the forum if preferred, although I think stories should be told, just may not be the right place!

M

mjr

Another from Friday, you guys don't seem to mind.

This woman had a very sad story, her village was completely destroyed and they were all living underground in tunnels multiple layers deep, a bomb landed close and destroyed the tunnel killing a lot of people in the blast but also crushing many to death as the tunnels collapsed. She was only 6 or 7 at the time, her mother and sisters were in a lower level and got crushed to death, she was injured badly and the people who came to dig them out thought she had died.

She was there a couple of days before a soldier saw that she was alive and took her to the hospital, medical care was obviously not good and she ended up having her leg amputated right at the top. She said that had she been found earlier or had better care she would probably have been ok but not the case. She has spent her whole life begging, getting help from neighbours and generally just getting by, she had a little house that the village had built for her and she was getting support from a local charity with a wheel chair and crutches.

Pretty heart wrenching meeting these people but they are all stories of survival and the strength of human spirit, most interesting is the willingness to tell their stories, I feel privileged and helpless at the same time.

M

mjr

Evening

I'll post the last couple of images from this little trip I took to speak to some incredibly brave people, apologies again to anyone who may find this stuff a little difficult.

A portrait of the woman I showed yesterday, something about her eyes seems to tell the story much better than I can.

dave.gt

Our roses are just beginning to bloom. This is our first one of the year, a Cherry Parfait Hybrid Tea that survived a killing frost or two before blooming.

H5D-50c, 80mm:
First Rose 2018 Split Tone Sat 2.jpg

etrump

It was my first trip so I am very pleased with the results Steven. Of course the weather and light never fully cooperate so we have many more looks for future trips.

Probably the most naturally beautiful country I have visited. My wife would move there if she could convince the rest of the family. :ROTFL:

XF/IQ3100/75-150:

5B4928D5-2B7D-4453-8DD2-9B9ECF0B4E6E.jpg

This was taken two years ago. We have been to NZ four times and my wife did her undergrad in NZ. How did you do with your photos?

stevenfr

Ed

Nice image. Congrats.

My wife said the same thing, she thought we should buy property in Wanaka. We got married at the top of Mt Cook on our first visit.

I think the distance away from areas I like to photograph would make it tough for me to live there full time. Maybe I would think differently if we lived there.

Over the years we have noticed that the number of foreign visitors has increased it seems exponetially. The first three times we went to NZ there was no one at the Wanaka tree. The last time we went there was a 100 people. Some were climbing on the tree. A complete gong show.

Steven

It was my first trip so I am very pleased with the results Steven. Of course the weather and light never fully cooperate so we have many more looks for future trips.

Probably the most naturally beautiful country I have visited. My wife would move there if she could convince the rest of the family. :ROTFL:

XF/IQ3100/75-150:

View attachment 133847

dave.gt

Sometimes, lateral thinking yields different results.
My Grand Uncle passed away in 1994. He was know world-wide for his expertise in steam engines, especially related to Stanley Steamers and White steam cars. Not to mention restoring old steam locomotives.

In the 1960s, I enjoyed the ride of my life in his Model 62 Stanley. His lateral thinking was his passion in life. Not everyone's cup of tea but just before his death at age 94, he was quoted as saying he felt most alive when he was working. He was a creative, talented genius. Exploring, pushing the boundaries..,

I guess his spirit was infectious.

So, here is my humble attempt at Lateral Photography, just having fun:

H5D, 80mm
Different New Rose 1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.