The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shashin

That's precisely the linear distortion I was thinking of. But curvature of otherwise straight object happens with, e.g., horse lower limb rotation. Still can't see how a curved girder appears...

--Matt
If the scan is from the top to the bottom of the frame, then the relative velocity of the camera pan to the girder changes from the top, to the middle where it is "even, to the bottom where it is opposite from the top. Think of the camera moving one way at the top of the frame, and the opposite way at the bottom. I suspect Mark was in a car (?) and this was a grab shot. But maybe Mark can chime in here. So even though the exposure was 1/8000 sec., the time to scan is longer, just like a focal plane shutter, which is why there is spatial distortion, but a sharp image.

Either that, or someone should call the city engineers as there is a bridge just about to collapse.

Mark C

Thanks for the responses to my curving bridge image :)

The settings were f2 and 1/13000 sec which made the electronic shutter activate. I was standing perfectly still when I took the shot, scene composed and just waiting for the next person crossing the bridge to walk into the frame. Other than putting the effect down to the use of the electronic shutter, I've no better technical explanation to offer, I wish I had! Strictly speaking, it is a limitation of the camera but, as I said in my original post, it does make for a conversation starter.
If I get the chance I might experiment further with it, I'm always up for trying different techniques in photography.

D

Deleted member 7792

Great Smoky Mountains National Park a couple of weeks ago at sunrise. Unintentionally up to my ankles in cold water for this shot, having forgotten to bring my high-top waterproof hiking boots. This was taken in Cades Cove. Two-shot focus stack, merged in Photoshop.

Shashin

Thanks for the responses to my curving bridge image :)

The settings were f2 and 1/13000 sec which made the electronic shutter activate. I was standing perfectly still when I took the shot, scene composed and just waiting for the next person crossing the bridge to walk into the frame. Other than putting the effect down to the use of the electronic shutter, I've no better technical explanation to offer, I wish I had! Strictly speaking, it is a limitation of the camera but, as I said in my original post, it does make for a conversation starter.
If I get the chance I might experiment further with it, I'm always up for trying different techniques in photography.
That becomes harder to understand as the shutter speed is so fast. I cannot think of way the camera processing would cause it though. I have no idea about how long the camera takes to capture the information in relation to the integration time (shutter speed). If what you are capturing is the camera movement of you taking the picture--we never hold a camera perfectly still and the act of pressing the shutter button does move the camera--that is pretty amazing but very improbable. If you find this is something that is replicated fairly consistently, then I would test between hand holding and mounted on a tripod. I took my X Pro2 out yesterday to play with the electronic shutter and while I could get scan effects, they were not the same. Perhaps some more tests with longer focal lengths and faster shutter speeds. But my X Pro2 will scan faster.

One thing I can say about the electronic shutter, it is spooky quiet...(I always turn off all the other sounds my camera makes.)

Mark C

That becomes harder to understand as the shutter speed is so fast. I cannot think of way the camera processing would cause it though. I have no idea about how long the camera takes to capture the information in relation to the integration time (shutter speed). If what you are capturing is the camera movement of you taking the picture--we never hold a camera perfectly still and the act of pressing the shutter button does move the camera--that is pretty amazing but very improbable. If you find this is something that is replicated fairly consistently, then I would test between hand holding and mounted on a tripod. I took my X Pro2 out yesterday to play with the electronic shutter and while I could get scan effects, they were not the same. Perhaps some more tests with longer focal lengths and faster shutter speeds. But my X Pro2 will scan faster.

One thing I can say about the electronic shutter, it is spooky quiet...(I always turn off all the other sounds my camera makes.)
Thanks, I can't really say any more about it either as I'm not sufficiently tech savvy to interpret the results beyond what I've said already.

I can add that I also have an X-Pro2 and that doesn't appear to show any strange results when I've tried using the electronic shutter. I definitely agree about how quiet the ES is on that, the first few times I used it I had to check it had actually taken the shot!

Shashin

Well, that was easy.

Taken with an X Pro2 and 90mm lens at f/4 and 1/10,500 sec. My focus was off (the same in both), but you can see sharpness remains across the frame and is not blurred by the motion. So, the electronic shutter integration time freezes action, but the time to make the exposure across the frame is significantly longer to cause distortion. I will let you figure out which is which. So, the combination of high shutter speeds and long focal lengths make this effect a possibility (yesterday I was using shorter focal lengths and longer (1/200 sec.) shutter speeds and the effect does not quite look the same). At least, the focal length becomes a greater contributing factor.

Mark, you might have actually moved the camera in a way you were not aware--probably at the shutter speed you were using, you did not think it a problem: neither would I before now.

Anyway, something to think about.

(and still insanely quiet for a camera...)

Mark C

Thanks for that Will, always something new to learn in photography. You could be right about camera movement being a contributing factor, really hard to say. I'm going to have a further try with my cameras and electronic shutters when I get the chance, just so busy at present!

Ed Hurst

Whoa! How you figure this out is amazing as are your results, Ed!!!:):):)
Thank you so much, Dave. That means a lot to me. This was truly one of the more difficult shots to get right practically.

1. You need a perfectly clear night (obviously). The weather was not perfect, but I gambled and did the 12 hour round trip drive anyway. On approach, there were some clouds and smoke from back-burning fires which threatened to ruin it, but it all cleared when it mattered.
2. You need the time of year when the Milky Way core is rising in darkness (because I was taking a Milky Way shot too, which will be posted here when I get time to process it). That immediately cuts down the part of the year that's possible.
3. Moon needs to co-operate - right moon rise and moonset times and/or right moon phase to avoid spoiling it.
4. Tides. The position is no accessible at high tide - you would get dangerously cut off, so it's necessary to find a day when tide, weather, moon and core rise all line up.
5. Light pollution in background from some angles.
6. You can't use dead low tide for safety because the foreground needs water.
7. Within the narrow window of opportunity with the points above, you have to hope no one else is around making light, because if you wait, the window is lost.

So it took A LOT of planning. A spreadsheet with all the factors listed, with possible dates highlighted. All the more amazing when you realise that I am about to leave Australia, so didn't have lots of chances to wait for the variables to line up. I had to seize a day when it seemed just about possible and hope.

VERY satisfying that it worked out!

Ed

dave.gt

Photography.

Ed, The word itself, as you know basically means writing with light. Some snap their way with smart phones and they are photographers. Others are street photogs, "lightning quick". A lot of us are landscape photographers, wedding... sports, and etc. ... an endless list. But few work so hard for a single image or two.

Not many realize the stunning amount of effort, knowledge, experience and sheer passion required to make the images you have posted. I am astonished. There are many talented people on this forum and we get to see the fruits of their labor and it is wonderful. Their images don't come easy either and I learn so much from the discussions about their work.

To you, my respect and gratitude for your hard work and sharing the results. The Milky Way is on my list to do this year... I do not know where to begin. But, you inspire me and the planning shall soon begin.:):):)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.