The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just never get tired of boosted greens in BW conversions. Leica S(007), 24 Super Elmar.

This was my first attempt to carry the S since last Thursday's "procedure". I love everything about this system except its weight. After this shot, I was too tired to go shopping for a lighter camera! Maybe today...

Matt

JohnBrew

Matt, totally understand the weight thing. After my last trip abroad I swore I would get a decent travel camera. So it's back to an "M" for me.
Good luck on your search,
John

tcdeveau

The X1D is a great travel camera for me, and I'd def recommend anyone looking for a good travel setup to check out the X1D and GFX.

Went out shooting with dave.gt this morning. Took the Alpa hoping to get some shots with it but didn't have everything we needed for the tech cam (didn't have the right sync cord and were in a no-ES situation), so just shot with the X1D. Well and Dave was kind enough to let me shoot around with his 503, which I'm trying to forget about or else one may end up in my bag at some point :p

-Todd

Here's a shot from this morning, X1D and 21mm XCD with the Alpa Triobal mini tripod:

6-23-18_0619 copy.jpg

MGrayson

Todd,

Thank you. I’ve run the numbers. The GFX saves about 25% weight on the S, the X1D about 50%. But I have to try them to really know.

Best,

Matt

MGrayson

John,

I used an M9 for a few years. Loved the lenses, never made peace with rangefinder focusing.

Will,

I do have a Mamiya kit. Processing BW film is fun. Then comes the dust... Not as bad as wet plate, but if I never have to clean another scan, that would be fine!

Best,

Matt

dave.gt

After Todd's brilliant 21mm shot of MidTown Atlanta, I hesitate posting anything. We did manage to shoot the digital back and I enjoyed the two film backs I picked up at CI (Thanks, Steve and Brad!). In fact, I cannot wait to shoot a roll of Velvia tomorrow...such fun!

Since it will be awhile before I develop the FP4+ film I shot today, I decided I would post at least one image of MidTown:
MidTown Freaky Friday 2 2018 FINAL getdpi.jpg

Well, a bit later as the sun rose in the sky behind, us:
MidTown Freaky Friday 3 2018 FINAL getdpi.jpg

D&A

Dave.gt...lovely shots of the Atlanta skyline. I'm particularly fond of the 2nd which has a bit more warmth to it, although the cool tone of the 1st one is appealing too. Nice going!

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

I just never get tired of boosted greens in BW conversions. Leica S(007), 24 Super Elmar.

This was my first attempt to carry the S since last Thursday's "procedure". I love everything about this system except its weight. After this shot, I was too tired to go shopping for a lighter camera! Maybe today...

Matt
Matt:
I'm having similar concerns with the weight of my 645Z system. The GFX really caught my attention, but when I factored in the lenses, I don't think the weight saving is a significant factor. For example: GFX+ 250mm =2340g; 645Z+300mm = 2350g. There are examples where the Fuji is somewhat lighter, but not enough for me to give up an OVF, e.g., GFX+120mm = 1900g; 645Z+120mmm = 2250g.
I was in your part of the world last month, I attended a wedding at the Boathouse in Central Park. Love that city.
Tom

dave.gt

Old rolling stock at the Tanfield railway goods yard with a manual point switch in the foreground:

Old stock by Mark, on Flickr
Mark,

There is a gritty texture that catches my eye in this photo. It is probably what caught your eye and the composition is really good. Looking forward to more of your railroad images.:)

MGrayson

Matt:
I'm having similar concerns with the weight of my 645Z system. The GFX really caught my attention, but when I factored in the lenses, I don't think the weight saving is a significant factor. For example: GFX+ 250mm =2340g; 645Z+300mm = 2350g. There are examples where the Fuji is somewhat lighter, but not enough for me to give up an OVF, e.g., GFX+120mm = 1900g; 645Z+120mmm = 2250g.
I was in your part of the world last month, I attended a wedding at the Boathouse in Central Park. Love that city.
Tom
Tom,

I can see why the GFX is the "lightweight" system for Phase One shooters, but it's not really light or small. The X1D truly is. But does it give up too much in functionality? (Speed and AF, from what I read.) There are certainly spectacular images from it posted regularly. And for a walk-around WA camera, the X1D/21 is 3 lbs, GFX/23 is 4 lbs, S/24 is 6 lbs. Hmmm...

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.