The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave.gt

Todd,

Referencing this image,
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...4730-fun-mf-images-post760664.html#post760664

I am stunned to see the results from the 21mm, it looks like an entirely different PLACE, and time, not to mention vantage point for location than the 80mm gave me. I wish I had the opportunity to do a pano long exposure to compare it further.

But, be that as it may, I will have some images from the film back to stitch when I get around to processing and scanning

Lovely image, great as usual, and inspiring for sure!!!!:thumbs:

D&A

Tom,

I can see why the GFX is the "lightweight" system for Phase One shooters, but it's not really light or small. The X1D truly is. But does it give up too much in functionality? (Speed and AF, from what I read.) There are certainly spectacular images from it posted regularly. And for a walk-around WA camera, the X1D/21 is 3 lbs, GFX/23 is 4 lbs, S/24 is 6 lbs. Hmmm...

Matt
Matt, besides comparing weight of camera body & lens from each respective system, size too should taken into account. Although it doesn't come under the heading of how much weight is being lugged around, a small body/lens combo, does generally make for more compact, easier to manage bag. Then again when less space is required for a given body and lens, I often use that as an excuse to pack some additional lenses and equipment. :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Matt, besides comparing weight of camera body & lens from each respective system, size too should taken into account. Although it doesn't come under the heading of how much weight is being lugged around, a small body/lens combo, does generally make for more compact, easier to manage bag. Then again when less space is required for a given body and lens, I often use that as an excuse to pack some additional lenses and equipment. :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)
Dave,

There isn't much size difference between these systems at the long end. (Camerasize.com is a very useful site!) A 120mm lens will protrude about the same amount from the sensor whether there is a mirror box or not. The wide S lenses, though, are MUCH bigger than the Hassy and Fuji counterparts. There the mirror box forces different and larger lens design.

In the end, it comes down to using a system that you want to take outside and not one that lives on the shelf. That's never in the numbers.

Best,

Matt

D&A

Dave,

There isn't much size difference between these systems at the long end. (Camerasize.com is a very useful site!) A 120mm lens will protrude about the same amount from the sensor whether there is a mirror box or not. The wide S lenses, though, are MUCH bigger than the Hassy and Fuji counterparts. There the mirror box forces different and larger lens design.

In the end, it comes down to using a system that you want to take outside and not one that lives on the shelf. That's never in the numbers.

Best,

Matt
So true what you say Matt about a system does no good if one doesn't take it along on outings. Yes, the size differences are only apparent on the short end although if one carefully chooses somewhat slower more compact single focal length lenses of some of these systems, lens size and bulk can be somewhat reduced. Case in point is the Pentax 150mm f2.8 and 200mm f4 645 lenses. The former is small and so light, its like they forgot the glass inside. The latter is heavier but not much larger. This is in comparison to their 300 f4 lens (yes, they make a 300 f5.6). It's almost double the length of the 200 f4 and much much heavier.

Problem is with all these lenses, the size, weight and bulk of the body negates the advantages. If this can be done on the smaller mirrorless 645 bodies, then there is still an advantage. The X1D system is incredible having used it a few times...but like any new system, its best to try it out for at least a weekend and determine if the finder and other shooting/handling attributes and compromises can be accepted over the leica S system. That answer will be different for each one of us.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tsjanik

Tom,

I can see why the GFX is the "lightweight" system for Phase One shooters, but it's not really light or small. The X1D truly is. But does it give up too much in functionality? (Speed and AF, from what I read.) There are certainly spectacular images from it posted regularly. And for a walk-around WA camera, the X1D/21 is 3 lbs, GFX/23 is 4 lbs, S/24 is 6 lbs. Hmmm...

Matt
Hmm. Point taken. I hadn't looked at the X1D, on the assumption leaf shutter lenses would add mass and bulk for a feature I don't use.
Tom

vjbelle

Todd,

Referencing this image,
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...4730-fun-mf-images-post760664.html#post760664

I am stunned to see the results from the 21mm, it looks like an entirely different PLACE, and time, not to mention vantage point for location than the 80mm gave me. I wish I had the opportunity to do a pano long exposure to compare it further.

But, be that as it may, I will have some images from the film back to stitch when I get around to processing and scanning

Lovely image, great as usual, and inspiring for sure!!!!:thumbs:
Dave..... I hope there are no 'regrets' for the image you took as I think its easily as stunning as the 21mm image. Both have a place and perspective and yours doesn't take a back seat..... Well done!

Victor

baudolino

Fuji GFX50S with 32-64 zoom. Lit by our ancient/refurbished LED panel (background image sourced from the internet), a large strip box with a blue gel from behind and a little gridded reflector with a pink gel as accent light from above. Model's body took about an hour and a half to paint, to give an impression of "bionic skin". Inspired by the character of "Joi" from the recent movie Blade Runner 2049.

Admin removed as content was NSFW and therefore should be posted in the NSFW section. Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation on this folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

dancook

I almost cannot post this now I've seen the previous one :D

Hasselblad X1D, we've had some nice sunsets due to the weather and as I'm not really a landscape person I don't have a list of places to go take advantage of it. So thought I'd try a photo of the house from the back (we're in the middle of finishing the garden)

Well 90 is too long for a single shot, so I took a series of photos and stitched them - the results image came out well - even if it was hand held at f3.2, 1/60th, ISO 200.

Lots of dynamic range to recover the image!

Sunset pano by dancook1982, on Flickr

Mark C

Mark,

There is a gritty texture that catches my eye in this photo. It is probably what caught your eye and the composition is really good. Looking forward to more of your railroad images.:)
Thank you Dave. Just so with the texture. The place I took this is like a graveyard for old railway stock. Eerie but fascinating at the same time.

dave.gt

I am not a real photographer (most certainly):(, but it occurs to me that props and/or trained assistants are helpful at times.

From Saturday's camera therapy session with Todd (tcdeveau), we had something extra... a trained duck that was just waiting for his/her photograph to be made.:thumb:
MidTown Freaky Friday BW 2018 FINAL getdpi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.