The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

The skyline of Canary Wharf in London is becoming ever more impressive... Especially when viewed from a distance like this, it seems to have a looming power.

Pentax 645Z with 6x7 75mm f2.8 AL lens (nice to see some industrial infrastructure still around in an area that once teemed with it)
[/url]IMGP4340Step3sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pentax 645Z with 120mm f4 A lens
[/url]IMGP4357Step5sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

biglouis

Tom,

I can see why the GFX is the "lightweight" system for Phase One shooters, but it's not really light or small. The X1D truly is. But does it give up too much in functionality? (Speed and AF, from what I read.) There are certainly spectacular images from it posted regularly. And for a walk-around WA camera, the X1D/21 is 3 lbs, GFX/23 is 4 lbs, S/24 is 6 lbs. Hmmm...

Matt
It depends on lens choice. I went for the GFX because of cost compared to the X1D or the S system. I don't believe in terms of IQ I have lost anything (at all) and the ergonomics are superior imho to either system. It is the first camera in a long time (since I sold my M8?) that I actually want to pick up and photograph with. Using the 45/2.8 prime (about 35mm equivalent fov) it is relatively lightweight (about 3lbs). Slapping on the 32-64 which is an amazing piece of glass and it becomes pretty hefty but boy oh boy that is a lovely lens. The 23mm is drop dead awesome. Possibly the best UWA I have ever owned - and more than a replacement for my Hasselbad SWC which I still sorely miss (but I am no longer prepared to shoot/process film - I'm just too old!) and I often shoot with the viewfinder mask set to 1:1.

I guess the good news is that with Hasselblad and Fuji there are now 'lighter' alternatives to other weightier MF digital systems. There is also a rumour that Fuji are about to introduce a GFX-light version which is a rangefinder style body and even less weight than the GFX50s.

When I want to go really light - I get out my Ricoh GRII (!).

Good luck with your quest and a speedy recovery from whatever ails you.

LouisB

biglouis

The first time I have done anything remotely architectural since acquiring mg GFX50s. This is with the awesome Fujinon 23mm f4. All handheld. Some perspective correction in LR.

XY Buildings, York Way, Kings Cross, London

Kings Cross redevelopment

Status
Not open for further replies.