The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave.gt

Re: ALPA + Hasselblad

Hi Dave,

A Hasselblad C back. I get asked this question from time to time, so I just stepped outside and took a few snaps of the setup I used to make the Palm Tree Bayou image. Hopefully it will help someone else down the road. You gotta use a "C" back if you want to shoot a Hasselblad film magazine on an ALPA body because you have to manually advance the film. There is no film loaded in my back at this moment, and if there was, you would be able to read the frame number off the film backing paper through the peephole. I have never had a problem with spacing because IMO, Hasselblad knows how to engineer stuff. I bought two very clean C backs off eBay and sent them to David Odess for rebuilding. Both had light leaks near where the dark slide goes. These backs can be older than me (I just turned 60), so I purchased them knowing I would be sending them to David for rebuilding.

If I am also going to shoot with my CFV50c back, I do not use the ground glass. But there are times I shoot just film and take this very lightweight setup out in a small bag. I also use an inexpensive Hoodman loupe instead of the reflex finder most of the time. I use the CFV50c with my Flex-Body on a copy stand and light box to copy my negatives. I use to scan my negatives but find the digital back does a better and cleaner job. I was amazed how much dust I lost after I stopped scanning them. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Darr
Holy cow, you just answered the difficult question about the film back AND my big dilemma at the moment for digitizing my negatives since I do not have a scanner!

Thank you so much for both of those!

I am impressed with your "scan solution"! So as not to hijack this thread, I hope if it ok to send you my own question about using the Studio's H5D for my negatives.

You certainly have done a wonderful job with these images.:thumbup:

darr

Re: ALPA + Hasselblad

Holy cow, you just answered the difficult question about the film back AND my big dilemma at the moment for digitizing my negatives since I do not have a scanner!

Thank you so much for both of those!

I am impressed with your "scan solution"! So as not to hijack this thread, I hope if it ok to send you my own question about using the Studio's H5D for my negatives.

You certainly have done a wonderful job with these images.:thumbup:
Your welcome Dave. I am not familiar with the H5D, but from my experience you will need a very strong copy stand. I have the Kaiser RS 2 XA, but found it not strong enough for medium format. So I had to buy a Beseler CS Digital Copy Stand. I use my Flex-Body with the Hasselblad CFi 120 makro lens and a 55 extension tube. I could use the 501CM as easily, but the Flex-Body is very simple and lightweight to use on a copy stand with the CFV50c. After I process my film, I store them in Print File pages, and when it is time to digitize them, I load a strip in a film holder from an old Microtek scanner and place them on top an LED light box. I focus on the grain of the film (via the Live View and zoom-in feature). On my light box, it is EV 10 @ f/5.6 with an ISO set at 400. I take two shots of each frame and I can get a 12 frame roll finished in less than five minutes. I post-process in Lightroom, and one of Lightroom's newest features is the automatic 'Invert Negative' under the curves panel. This process is quicker and cleaner than what I have done with my Epson V700, and has taken the drudgery of scanning out of my life. :chug:

dave.gt

Wow! Great MF system setup there, Darr!
Now to look for a heavy-duty copy stand (used) and rent a 120 lens from CI to see how it does for me!!!

For grins, I did try a sort of similar process by taking an overexposed TriX image, handheld (!!!) the H5D with True Focus and managed a useable capture of a Tulip. LR and PS manipulations later, I obtained a reasonable Cyanotype image that I liked, so that copy stand is a perfect solution for me and I can't wait to try it.

I have two HM 16-32 backs for the H5D coming in a few weeks. Looks like I can shoot film and digitize the negatives all with the H5D. There is something poetic and intrinsically cool about that!:):):)

And using the 503cxi to shoot film is a no-brainer, too.:)

Thank you so much, Darr!

JohnBrew

Dave, I use the same setup on my RM3di. Thank you, Darr, good to know someone repairs these as I have one with a light leak. BTW, I found two pictures of the same subject, one with film and one with the CFV-50c. I'll try to post them soon in the thread you started.
Happy Fourth!
John

Last edited:

dave.gt

Dave, I use the same setup on my RM3di. Good to know someone repairs these as I have one with a light leak. BTW, I found two pictures of the same subject, one with film and one with the CFV-50c. I'll try to post them soon in the thread you started.
Happy Fourth!
John
Thanks, John, and Happy Fourth to you as well!:)

M

mjr

Morning

A quick shot before the reindeer marking started, I love how everyone collects around the camp fire and cooks food, laughs and jokes before taking on the night's task. I'm sure I could process this much better but wanted it to reflect how dark it was, you get the idea!

etrump

Interesting thing about photographing the lavender fields is how they change color based on the ambient light.

On this trip I have had the opportunity to photograph the lavender in many different lighting conditions from moonlight to full on sunny.

Here the color is transitioning from the blue of night to the purple of early morning. Once the sunlight first shines directly on the lavender it is full on purple then by mid-day it carries a much cooler tone.

XF/IQ3100/40-80LS

dancook

all with X1D and 90mm

They are not without their faults, and ran out of time to do anything more interesting against the sunset (dog was playing up!) - but just wanted to check the lighting. Used a strobe with beauty dish in all these.

Louise Book by dancook1982, on Flickr

D&A

all with X1D and 90mm

>>>>They are not without their faults, and ran out of time to do anything more interesting against the sunset (dog was playing up!) - but just wanted to check the lighting. Used a strobe with beauty dish in all these.]<<<<

I really like the look of the B&W images.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

What's the 4th without...well you know what. Except I was caught flatfooted and unprepared.

Brief backstory: I rarely if ever leave home without a full complement of focal lengths. Yet in all the years shooting the Capital fireworks, from a multitude of vantage points, never once have I come close to needing anything wider than a 120mm focal length (in 35mm format terms). With the long hike with extremely loaded backpack/tripod etc., I even anticipated use of the 300mm or 400mm 645 lens this year from the location I had planned to shoot from. At the last minute, plans unexpectedly got diverted and found myself in a new location that wouldn't you know it, required a minimum of a 28mm wide lens for verticals and 20mm for horizontal frames to incorporate the pinnacle reach of the bursts. Me? I came equipped with a 60mm equivalent as my widest. LOL. Lesson painfully learned!

First of a number of images I'll hopefully get around to posting.

"Celebrating the 4th in the Nation's Capital"
Pentax 645Z; FA 75mm f2.8

Attachments

D

Deleted member 7792

Excellent article, "Photographing the Islands of Hawaii", written and well illustrated, by E.J. here.

Joe

B L

Tower Bridge with City Hall (no, that is not lens distortion - the building really is that shape!)
645Z with 28-45mm f4.5 DA @ 28mm
[/url]IMGP4358_Step5sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Architectural distortion!
Excellent photo.

Last edited:
M

mjr

Morning!

Here's a dawn shot, reindeer and bastard mosquitos, what's the point of them anyway, surely we can do without mosquitos?!

etrump

Dastardly mosquitos! How about those flies that lay the burrowing larvea in the reindeer? Is now the season for those devils?

Morning!

Here's a dawn shot, reindeer and bastard mosquitos, what's the point of them anyway, surely we can do without mosquitos?!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I recently inherited some 4 by 5 inch glass plates from distant relative. I believe they are from approximately 1900, though I can't be sure. (I post it in this thread because I copied the negative with an XF and 120 macro.) I'm impressed by the soft tonal range of a photo that's likely over a hundred years old. I have not Photoshopped it or tried to remove the blemishes and scratches.

M

mjr

Not sure about those fly's Ed, actually the Sami people like the mosquitos, when there are a lot, the reindeer all move together higher up the mountain to escape, makes them easy to find and round up, when there are none, they go down to the trees and all spread out. Me, I hate them!

Status
Not open for further replies.