The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
A recent image from a few days break on the Island of Jersey

La Corbiere Lighthouse, incoming high tide.

Pentax 645z, 35mm Nd Grad and CPL

View attachment 135180
Great shot. Thanks for posting.

Recognised it straight away.

Spent many happy hours down there amongst the rock pools in the 1950s looking for shrimps and winkles and other alien creatures!

Knew one of the old lighthouse keepers who kept the light and the foghorn going in all sorts of weathers. All automated now of course.

You can walk out to the lighthouse along a causeway at low tide.

I live in England now and haven't been back to the Island for quite some time now.

Deltona

Great shot. Thanks for posting.

Recognised it straight away.

Spent many happy hours down there amongst the rock pools in the 1950s looking for shrimps and winkles and other alien creatures!

Knew one of the old lighthouse keepers who kept the light and the foghorn going in all sorts of weathers. All automated now of course.

You can walk out to the lighthouse along a causeway at low tide.

I live in England now and haven't been back to the Island for quite some time now.
It's a fascinating place, I would love to be there when its blowing a hoolie, we went over the causeway I did get some very nice images of the place, problem was that low tide was around midday whatr with the bright blue sky and high contrast, it made picture making a lot more difficult. Would be nice to go back to co incide with a low tide and the setting sun. Jersey is going to be getting another visit thats for sure :)

dave.gt

It's a fascinating place, I would love to be there when its blowing a hoolie, we went over the causeway I did get some very nice images of the place, problem was that low tide was around midday whatr with the bright blue sky and high contrast, it made picture making a lot more difficult. Would be nice to go back to co incide with a low tide and the setting sun. Jersey is going to be getting another visit thats for sure :)
Nick,

Live your new web site!!!:):):)

D

Deleted member 7792

Juvenile northern cardinal. Crape/crepe myrtles in bloom in the background.

Joe

dave.gt

Beautiful, Joe!!!:):):)

As I type these words, our feeder is covered with Cardinals and other birds like the rude Brown Thrasher and tiny charming brown birds that apparently have no name.

I just filled the feeder last night with Song Bird seed that I picked up at Publix. They are going crazy... I guess they tired of just black oil sunflower seeds!

Wish I had a good image of the Cardinals like you have been posting...

Deltona

Marine Peilstand 1 tower (MP 1 Tower) at Noirmont Point on the Island of Jersey. The tower was built during the German occupation. It was used as an observation platform to direct the several large naval guns that were part of the Lothringen Battery, defending the coastline against attack by the Allies.

Pentaz 645z 45-85mm + CPL

_IMG6997.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Found myself out in a different part of the world. Near Lake Louise in Banff National Park. First the view yesterday, when it was clear:

X1D, 90mm

And then in this afternoon when it turned rainy. I went to Silver Efex for extra drama!

X1D 45mm pano

Best,

Matt

gcap

Fuji GX680II, 250mm, P45, lens tilted down:

Same location, few years back, 200mm. Notice the difference in depth of field:

stngoldberg

Pascale Marthine Tayou’s site-specific installation for the Redwood, Remember Bimbia (2018) is a pile of painted paving stones that moor the American flag – American history and American futures – in the rubble of its repressed past. The artist’s call to memory, to remember Bimbia, is both a specific invocation of what was once the key slave market in Tayou’s native country of Cameroon— an¬d with it, an acknowledgement of the role that Africans also played in the slave trade— and a larger appeal for us all to accept slavery as “part of our communal history; it is a history that belongs to us all,” as Tayou explains. The slave trade powered the economies of the new world as much as the old. And it was central to the prosperity of the “lively experiment” of Rhode Island: to Newport as a city, and to the Redwood specifically.

This institution’s founder, Abraham Redwood, owed his wealth to the triangle trade and to his sugar plantation in Antigua, where he held nearly three hundred slaves. Even as he championed the Enlightenment ideals of reading and learning, he also represented the contradictory notions of equality that defined colonial America as a slave-owning “democracy” of and for white men. This institution acknowledges the contradictions and complexities of its past, and with this temporary installation, it invites Newport residents and visitors to remember the slave market of Bimbia and the thousands of West Africans who arrived in Newport enchained. At the same time, Remember Bimbia celebrates the contributions of people of all “colors,” evoking the revolutionary spirit of 1968 – fifty years ago this summer – through its “riotous” color and the paving stones flung in the name of liberty.

Stanley

MGrayson

Just upstream from this island are the large and dramatic Wapta Falls. The mist and light (and excessive processing) give it a magical feel.

Matt

Last edited:

tsjanik

Just upstream from this island are the large and dramatic Wapta Falls. The mist and light (and excessive processing) give it a magical feel.

Matt
Pretty cool Matt and well outside your usual posts; perhaps a new camera inspires new visions. Looks like an image from a dream.

Tom

tsjanik

New potatoes, dug within the hour. Note that simply washing has caused the peel to detach. The taste is remarkable, well worth growing your own or finding a source. 645Z, 120mm A

_IMG7517 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

D&A

New potatoes, dug within the hour. Note that simply washing has caused the peel to detach. The taste is remarkable, well worth growing your own or finding a source. 645Z, 120mm A]

To show what a City Slicker I was when growing up...when I first moved out to the suburbs/countryside as a young adult, I always wanted to plant edible food in my own garden. Potatoes was a love of mine, so I planted some. Come late Autumn, I was sorely disappointed as I only saw barely a trace of greenery and a few scraggly vines on the ground, but not much else. I relayed the story to a neighbor. He laughed and laughed and took the heal of his shoe to the area where I planted and dug away the earthen soil until he hit paydirt….potatoes, and a good number of them. Little did I know they grew underground! (OK, everyone can stop laughing now). Anyhow I agree with you Tom, those fresh potatoes were yummy, most notably because I grew them myself. Now don't get me started on why my eight single stalks of corn had no ears of corn on them (oh yea I also learned they need cross pollination). I'm learning!

Your potatoes look wonderful Tom and bet they are delicious.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

MGrayson

Pretty cool Matt and well outside your usual posts; perhaps a new camera inspires new visions. Looks like an image from a dream.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

I think it might have more to do with NYC vs. Alberta :ROTFL:. Such a beautiful place!

Sunset X1D, 21mm,

Best,

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.