The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

f6cvalkyrie

Slowly, autumn is approaching, but the weather is still very very nice ...

P1 DF, P30+, stitch of 3 vertical exposures with Mamiya 210/f4

P1 DF, P30+ and Mamiya 210/f4

Have a nice weekend,
Rafael

Sarnian

Converted Samyang 24mm T/S

I saw a Samyang 24mm T/S lens on eBay that had been converted to the Mamiya mount (but which no longer has the tilt/shift functionality) so I took a punt on it. Can a lens made for 35mm format shine on a full-frame MFDB (a P65+)? The lens has a 70mm image circle so I took a punt. Take a look at the full-size jpeg that I've uploaded to dropbox. I tend to view my images at 50% to get a feel for how they'll look printed out.

It's manual focus only (like the original lens) so I'm just getting to grips with nailing focus and getting the correct exposure. My P65+ obviously doesn't have Live View so it's a bit hit-and-miss. Early days but I'm impressed with the quality especially considering that it's giving the equivalent of a 15mm lens!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aml5xwrvv5l3wbb/Samyang%2024%20non-TS%20equivalent%20to%20c15mm%20CF006109.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Got a chance to shoot a rare 1980s Gibson WRC. Apparently only 200 of these were ever made and you can't buy them new anymore.

Shot with a Hasselblad H5D-40
Lit with a Profoto B1X camera left into a 90 cm umbrella softbox in an indirect position.

B_8407491_SM.jpg

Sarnian

P1 645DF, P30+ and Mamiya 210/4 MF
Hi Rafael,

I see that you're using a manual focus lens on your DF so can I ask what your procedure is for getting the correct exposure and nailing focus?

As I posted previously, I managed to get my hands on a manual focus Samyang 24mm T/S lens but I'm not used to using MF lenses so I'm struggling with it. On my DF+ in M mode I can set the shutter speed but I can't change the aperture. I got a good result once (shown on my Dropbox link) but I can't replicate it! I must be doing something fundamentally wrong! Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Mark,

I'm no expert with the DF, I have the camera since one week only.
But, this is how I am proceeding till now : On the lens, I set the aperture to what I think I need for depth of field. Then, I put the camera on Aperture Priority (Av) and let the camera choose the ShutterSpeed. If the ShutterSpeed is too slow (when handholding, I reckon 1/focal length of the lens), I up the ISO. If the subject is very bright, I use some positive exposure compensation, if the subject is rather dark, then some negative exposure compensation. So far, not more compensation than 1 stop ... That should do the thing for reasonable good exposure.

For manual focus, I don't find it difficult to get "good enough" focus with my 210/4. It is quite visible in the viewfinder, especially in outdoors with good light ... So far, I didn't even check the screen of the P30+ back.
But I have no wide-angle lens (yet), so I cannot comment on focusing those lenses ...

Others may have their own techniques, I'm also interested to learn about that ...

I hope this helps !

CU,
Rafael

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.