The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

Trying some trees in black and white, a lot of mist rising, not sure if that adds or subtracts from the image.

dave.gt

October 2918
Final Journal Entry:

Grandma's House. She wasn't home and there was no big and bad wolf hanging around. We missed the three bears we heard about but I really missed the three beers the most. :)

And so ends our magical fantasy through the Great Smoky Mountains.

The magic part is the splendor of nature in all its glorious wonder that is so abundant in this part of the world. The first two days, we could find no color due to the warm weather we have had this year. It began raining our second night and the forecasters promised storms all day on Friday. So, we left our retreat and headed home. Rain, strong winds, trees and limbs falling all around made our search for light a challenge but we travelled all over and found the most beautiful light and magical colors.

The journal entries posted here are only a few samples of the results from our hard work and we enjoyed the journey, ending, naturally, at the old homestead with Elk, Turkeys, Deer and assorted wildlife watching us with not a care in the world.

My real life search for Grandma's house occurred in the Spring of 2017. After months of searching for my grandparents, whom I had never met, and at the behest of my elderly sister who wanted to visit the old homestead and grist mill, I confirmed the location and we all visited the farm, many miles south of the Smoky Mountains. Sadly, the ruins of the Mill and house were all that was left after 7 decades. But we were able to meet and have brunch with the long-term owners of the property and we shared our collective memories and experiences. It was a good time.

This old homestead is obviously not ours, but in a dream, it could be. After years of shooting the same locations in the mountains with smaller format equipment, I finally had the opportunity to use Medium Format digital gear. I am happy with the results. True to the title of this thread, it was fun!:):):)

Cabin NC Welcome Center FINAL Oct 2018.jpg

M

mjr

That's a stunning cabin Dave, that wood looks amazing! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Mat

dave.gt

That's a stunning cabin Dave, that wood looks amazing! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Mat
Hi, Mat,

Yes, for such a short trip, it was good and badly needed, having been house-bound for such a long time. We need to find a way to relax, but the short trip was only a band-aid.:(

The cabin is one of many, and the wood is certainly amazing as the area has been blessed with such a long history of old growth... and, sadly, logging. Not Sequoias,
but massive trees regardless!!!

https://www.ourstate.com/american-chestnut/

Logging in the Smoky Mountains

dave.gt

Just for grins, this was my first long exposure with the 10-stop ND Filter in pouring rain, 60mph wind gusts and blowing debris from trees all around near the top of the mountain. That was great fun and sheer delight! (The only thing more delightful in the rain was my 12 hour ride with my riding buddy from a wedding in Pitt to Atlanta years ago in a massive tropical storm. Harley Davidson in the rain with soaking leathers and boots! Love it!)

Landscape photographers, I get it! Nothing like being physically immersed in the environment to fully appreciate the experience and hard work to capture those images. My greatest respect for everyone who does that because surely they have found joy, if only for a little while in this chaotic world.:):):)

Newfound Gap Road Stream FINAL 9x12 Oct 2018.jpg

dave.gt

Giovanni,

If I have not mentioned how much I am impressed by your deeply saturated colors, I apologize for taking so long. They are splendid and they add a smile to my face to the start of the day. Bold! Deep colors!

Absolutely appreciate your posts!:):):)

Last edited:

gcap

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your kind words. I read most of your comments on pictures in this thread and I have to say is very encouraging when you show such appreciation of other people’s work. Wish I was the same...

I’m very lucky leaving in a part of the world where sunshine and blue skies are common and the land is full of history and beauty.

All the best,

Giovanni

etrump

I go out to photograph and all these amazing images get posted. My finger now has mouse carpal tunnel from all the likes! ;)

18 image stack which took 200 gigs to catch a sequence without the breeze.

XF/IQ3100/75-150:

dave.gt

I go out to photograph and all these amazing images get posted. My finger now has mouse carpal tunnel from all the likes! ;)

XF/IQ3100/75-150:

Holy crap... that is simply stunning. So is the stacking!!! My hat is off to you, sir!:):):)

etrump

Spent a weekend in Tumwater Canyon near Leavenworth, WA. What an incredible location! Could be the most gallery shots I have gotten over a three day shoot.

XF/IQ3100/40-80mm:

Ed Hurst

XF/IQ3100/75-150:
Simply amazing, Ed!

Status
Not open for further replies.