The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave.gt

Thanks Dave. There is no parking at this spot. I shot this one from on top of a big rock. There are so many pssibilities for great shots from the parkway.
It is a lovely spot you picked, for sure. After all these years, and more than a hundred visits in the area, I still can't remember them all from the parkway alone. Maybe that is why we go there so often.:)

I have one more paid night's stay in the area left for the year, and we might try for a winter scene in December. Never done that... you can teach me with some of your past and upcoming images from Hokkaido. Always inspiring, thanks!:thumbup:

etrump

My next trip is back to Hokkaido.
I’ve wanted to go to Japan for a few years but have been advised I should use a guide and not drive. Knowing you travel and shoot in a similar way that I do, (only your vision is light years ahead of mine) have you had any issues getting around on your own?

stevenfr

No issues. My wife drives, I spot the images, my friend has a GPS and marks the spots we find. So we can go back multiple times. We rent a Toyota Land Cruiser. the snow can be deep. The GPS is important. We are going to different areas this year. We have some ideas for some new shots based on our research. Eating is a issue for me - I am celiac as you may remember. I lost over ten pounds last time. I mostly ate rice and raw fish. After two weeks it gets a bit tiring. A bit of grilled meat.

There are lots of workshops that go to Japan, why not join one of them. see if you like the area. For me I am pretty specific about what I want and if it takes me ten trips to the same spot I will do it to get what I want. Its not as hard to shoot this area compared to my usual cluttered forest.

I wouldn't say my vision is light year ahead of yours. I don't see that at all. You got lots of amazing images. you have numerous images I would like to have in my portfolio.

I’ve wanted to go to Japan for a few years but have been advised I should use a guide and not drive. Knowing you travel and shoot in a similar way that I do, (only your vision is light years ahead of mine) have you had any issues getting around on your own?

etrump

I wouldn't say my vision is light year ahead of yours. I don't see that at all. You got lots of amazing images. you have numerous images I would like to have in my portfolio.
Very kind of you Steven. I have my view but appreciate the subtle beauty you find in the forest. I know from experience that is extremely difficult.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Very kind of you Steven. I have my view but appreciate the subtle beauty you find in the forest. I know from experience that is extremely difficult.
+1 on the difficulty of getting great forest shots. It’s probably the hardest subject matter to shoot IMHO.

MILESF

I have just come back from travelling solo for three weeks in nothern Honshu. I used trains, buses and a hire car. I walked >75 miles and was glad I took a couple of Sony bodies, four lenses and a light weight tripod. Leaving my Phase at home and a good decision and allowed me to travel light and explore away from the well known tourist sites.

The rental car was a Toyota hybrid with a satnav that ‘spoke’ English. Roads were good though I did find myself on a very rough track at one point that had possibly been damaged by typhoon and/or the recent Hokkaido earthquake. The Toyota system allows you to enter the phone number of your destination which was very useful. They drive on the left in Japan so good for a Brit but we frequently drive in Europe so don’t have trouble changing over. Road signs are all in Japanese and English. Ditto train stations except on remote branch lines. With a bit of advance planning train travel in Japan is very easy and reliable.

I would hesitate to travel solo in Hokkaido in winter. In 2016 I did meet a couple of people doing that but our group was confined to our hotel for two days by a violent storm. People have died in such storms within metres of their front doors. There is a good local weather service is good but afaik only in Japanese.

I don’t speak Japanese though have travelled there for over 25 years and don’t find the lack a language a big handicap.

Please DM me if you would like more detail/info.

Shashin

Public transportation is faster and more convenient to travel in Japan. If a train does not get you somewhere, a bus will, or if not, a taxi. If you like climbing big mountains or even small ones, the Japanese mountain hut system means you can traverse mountain ranges without the need of leaving the same way you go in.

I lived in Japan for 16 years. It is a great place to explore. And folks are happy to help--you cannot find a friendlier place.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi All,

It's been a few months since I last picked up a camera. Went out today with just the Leica S(007) and 24/3.5. It felt really heavy!

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

FelixCLC

Slightly off topic, but very relevant to those that use Flickr for hosting images in this thread and others, Flickr is going to be reverting back to it's original free membership options, with the free tier offering a maximum of 1000 images per account, regardless of the the size of those images https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead

gurtch

Well, an end of an era. I am 81, and had open heart surgery in December, then on top of that, I had a stroke in my left (dominant) eye. My Pentax 645D was just too heavy, especially with the 45-85mm FA "walk around" lens. I also have many MF Pentax lenses which are also pretty heavy. I sold the 645D. I love medium format so I pre ordered a Fujifilm GFX 50R and 32-64mm lens. I did a weight comparison, and the Fuji should be easier for me to carry about. Here are two shots made a few years ago using the 645D. I do my own printing, and both were enlarged to 24"x32, and framed to 30"x36". Thanks for looking----when the new rig comes I hope to post here more often.
Best
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
D440 NEW framed.jpg
D495 framed.jpg

gurtch

Just did a quick comparison (assuming the 645D body weighs the same as the 645Z)

645D body = 54.7 oz
GFX 50R body = 27.2 oz. ~ almost exactly half the weight

645D with 45-85mm lens = 83.3 oz
GFX with 32-64mm lens = 58.1 oz (surprising that the 32-64 weighs more than the 45-85mm)
Best to all
Dave in NJ

Digamax

Hi,
This is my first post. I would like to greet all the members of this great forum.
Here's a photo taken yesterday with Hasselblad H5d-40 and HC 300mm.
Autumn-Colors-getdpi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.