The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
An experiment with longer exposures. I learned a very important lesson. NEVER use f/32 to get a long exposure - use a filter instead! There was more dust on this image than on most film scans I've done. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

XID, 21mm, 40 seconds. I'm just a sucker for a crescent Moon and Venus...

Best,

Matt

dave.gt

Matt,

Nice!:)

(Note: Those trees don't look like NYC trees to me...:grin:)

I know what you mean about crescent moons. I must try one myself if it ever stops raining!

k-hawinkler

Snow, Snow, and more Snow. It started snowing one hour into 2019. Images were shot this morning.

GFX 50S • GF110

GFX 50S • GF32-64

GFX 50S • GF110

GFX 50S • GF110

k-hawinkler

So where are you located ? ? ?

- Leigh
Well Leigh, I am in White Rock, NM, elevation 6500 feet, about 15 minutes drive from Bandelier National Monument. This much snow has been unusual for us for the last 30 years.

Back in early 1987 I lived in Los Alamos, about 20 minutes drive in the opposite direction, at an elevation of 7500 feet. Back then we had in a six week period two blizzards, each dumping over night more than 3 feet of new snow in my back yard. That was about the height of a chain link fence, maybe a tad more. :facesmack:

In the intervening time we had a drought of 10 to 15 years that killed off about 75% of our Piñon trees. We really can use the moisture. :thumbup:

Leigh

Well Leigh, I am in White Rock, NM, elevation 6500 feet, about 15 minutes drive from Bandelier National Monument. This much snow has been unusual for us for the last 30 years.
Hi K-H,

Thanks for the update. That's quite a pile of snow you got there. Glad it's not here. :shocked:

The ground elevation in this part of Maryland (just south of Baltimore) runs 100 to 150 feet. We seldom get any snow because we're so close to the Chesapeake Bay, fortunately.

- Leigh

k-hawinkler

Hi K-H,

Thanks for the update. That's quite a pile of snow you got there. Glad it's not here. :shocked:

The ground elevation in this part of Maryland (just south of Baltimore) runs 100 to 150 feet. We seldom get any snow because we're so close to the Chesapeake Bay, fortunately.

- Leigh

Thanks Leigh. I know your area well. I must have visited your area hundreds of times. It can get there pretty cold though, certainly in Fort Meade.

Grayhand

Very nice image, though I would crop out or remove the small brown rock at the center bottom.
Glad you liked the image!

But, the little rock is there for a reason, and that is to anchor the composition firmly to the beach.
So the composition don't "float" to much
And it is not in the center bottom, that would be wrong.

The last image I posted above, there it is important that the composition "float".
So no anchor in this one.

But my "way of seeing" in landscape photo has it´s roots in landscape painting.
I really had no photographers as a inspiration when I started in landscape, only my artistic friends that did landscape.

But I did find one photographer that I think has a more painterly approach, Jonathan Chritchley.
So I spent 2 weeks with him in Biarritz 10 years ago. He became my bridge between lanscape paintings and landscape photography.

For me a landscape photo always should have a small part that rubbs you the wrong way, just as in real life.
So it is more important how the image feels compared to how it looks.

But luckily enogh we are all different and with different visions of the world around us :chug:

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.