The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejpeiker

It is very rare that we have major precipitation followed by an afternoon clearing with no wind in Arizona. That was the exact forecast on Monday so I took a chance and made the 5 hour round trip drive for a sunset shoot at a spot near Sedona that I have been wanting to photograph under these conditions for several years. The water that Cathedral Rock is reflected in only exists when those exact conditions occur and it must be calm to get the reflection. To get some nice pink wispy clouds 10 minutes after sunset made it even better than I had hoped...

GFX-50S, 32-64mm

AZ_Sedona105.jpg

k-hawinkler

It is very rare that we have major precipitation followed by an afternoon clearing with no wind in Arizona. That was the exact forecast on Monday so I took a chance and made the 5 hour round trip drive for a sunset shoot at a spot near Sedona that I have been wanting to photograph under these conditions for several years. The water that Cathedral Rock is reflected in only exists when those exact conditions occur and it must be calm to get the reflection. To get some nice pink wispy clouds 10 minutes after sunset made it even better than I had hoped...

GFX-50S, 32-64mm

View attachment 138579
Sublime image. Thanks.

stevenfr

Thank you. Funny. 15 years of shooting Aspens. Over three weeks a year. I have seen a lot of aspen trees across North America.

The aspen trees in North America need a Doctor. The trees are under a lot of stress. Its a combination of the age of the trees in the colony’s, with drought, and warmer conditions have caused a significant decline in the aspen forests. I have numerous images that are now gone due to trees turning black and falling over. As well, when the colony of trees are under stress they send out shooters into the forest, which makes it harder to see the layers of the white aspen tree trunks. In some areas the aspen trees are dying and there are no shooters coming up to replace the dying trees. These areas are in danger of the entire colony losing out to grasses or other non aspen trees.

I have seen numerous articles online referring to the condition as SUdden Aspen Decline.

+1
He is Aspen Doctor. :)

dave.gt

Thank you. Funny. 15 years of shooting Aspens. Over three weeks a year. I have seen a lot of aspen trees across North America.

The aspen trees in North America need a Doctor. The trees are under a lot of stress. Its a combination of the age of the trees in the colony’s, with drought, and warmer conditions have caused a significant decline in the aspen forests. I have numerous images that are now gone due to trees turning black and falling over. As well, when the colony of trees are under stress they send out shooters into the forest, which makes it harder to see the layers of the white aspen tree trunks. In some areas the aspen trees are dying and there are no shooters coming up to replace the dying trees. These areas are in danger of the entire colony losing out to grasses or other non aspen trees.

I have seen numerous articles online referring to the condition as SUdden Aspen Decline.
Steven,

That is the reason I wish I could be a part of environmental care. After 40+ years of professional City and Regional Planning; Civil Engineering and Architecture, I look back at every single project and governmental agency that I worked on and for from the Great Lakes to Florida, and I have nothing but regret that I could not make a meaningful difference in our protection and care of the Environment. Even as an adjunct teaching in the highly rated engineering university here in Atlanta, I see no positive influences as the population and development of land continue basically as always with the degradation of our world around us.

You have both the extraordinary talent to photograph beautiful scenery as well as experience the long term changes as you mentioned.

Sigh... wouldn't it be nice if we all, as photographers, could make a difference?

I would jump at the chance to do so.:):):)

Thank you again for all of your hard work. And to all the others as I have mentioned before, thanks to you as well.:thumbup:

stevenfr

I don’t want to take over the thread. Dave I have numerous images I have posted of trees that are now gone. The compositions have been compromised by dead trees or the entire section of the forest has died. I would post examples but don’t feel it adds to Fun with MF images. It was really noticable the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.