The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The 100 MPx phase one with the HC 300 lens with the 1.7 extender hand held is probably not the best tool for this job, but it was all that I had with me when I saw this scene
Stanley
Kite Beach ? I photographed the kite boarders there for a dozen years . Not an easy project .

stngoldberg

Kite Beach ? I photographed the kite boarders there for a dozen years . Not an easy project .
The rig I used is heavy for a guy my age coupled with no AF with the HC 300 with the 1.7 extender.
Holding what I estimate is a 16 pound camera and lens with my left hand, while I focus with my right hand; and then hold the camera steady while I hold my breath and squeeze off a shot is not ideal.
Maximum shutter speed on my lens is 1/800 sec; so not a lot of room for a shakey grip.
One gets spoiled with a Nikon D850 with its ability to lock on focus and track an object; the Nikon with a long lens also has better balance for hand holding.
Stanley

ejpeiker

Perhaps the most famous Arch in the American West that is not located in Utah...

After a disappointing and totally gray day, just after sunset, the clouds did this over Lone Pine Peak on the left and the highest point in the 48 contiguous United States, Mount Whitney at 14,505 ft (4421m) on the right...

GFX-50S, 32-64mm

CA_MobiusArch02.jpg

M

mjr

Afternoon!

Some beautiful images posted by all, not a lot of beauty surrounding me here so it's nice to be reminded how stunning the world really is!

Very tricky to take photographs for personal use at the moment, mixture of security and opportunity, been in Fallujah and Baghdad recently as we work removing IED's, both interesting places. Anyway, these are not pretty or beautiful but they are real.

Messing with 65x24 and black & white, mostly shot through the windows of the armoured vehicle I travel in. The format works for what I see, it's quite flat and barren.

Ed Hurst

Great image
Do they allow tripods on the Shard?
What was your ISO and shutter speed?
Again terrific shot
Stanley
Much appreciated indeed, Stanley.

Tripods are banned in the Shard, unless you are shooting on a professional permit (I wasn't). So you will need to find a way to manage without one. Putting the camera on the floor, then propping it up at the rear to make it point down is an option (though vibration in the floor is an issue). Or balancing the camera on a bean bag perhaps... Even mini tripods are not allowed, though I used one before anyone noticed!

The St Paul's shot was ISO 100, blending between one frame lasting 6 seconds and one lasting 1.6 seconds.
The Tower Bridge shot was ISO 100, blending between one frame lasting 20 seconds and one lasting 2.5 seconds.

Plenty of attempts were required before getting one not spoiled by vibration in the floor.

The biggest problem is reflections off the windows of course, since there is nowhere you can shoot without a window.

k-hawinkler

the 250 is really tempting..is AF speed reasonably snappy ?
Thanks Satrycon. Great question. I dunno.
I have the feeling focusing speed is more limited by the camera than the lens.
In any case it is limited.

I would assume it takes not much less than a second to focus if the previous focus was vastly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.