The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satrycon

pegelli

I'm interested in everyone's views on this...

The first shot is one that I posted a few days ago of the scene from the Shard. The second one includes a sky that occurred earlier the same evening, composited onto the same scene.

Which do you prefer...?
I prefer the one with the black sky. The red sky is nice but it "competes" for attention with the view in front. Maybe if you make the scenery in front much darker (almost like a silhouette with a small hints of the lights) it would work better, but not sure.

D&A

I prefer the one with the black sky. The red sky is nice but it "competes" for attention with the view in front. Maybe if you make the scenery in front much darker (almost like a silhouette with a small hints of the lights) it would work better, but not sure.
Very much agree with Satrycon and pegelli. Not only in my opinion does the red sky competes for one's attention with the cityscape, but the intensity of lights in the city is a bit much for the time of day when the apparent sunset is occurring. The original posted image is dramatic and lovely on its own.

Dave (D&A)

dave.gt

Hi, Ed,

Both are truly excellent!:)

The final use (printed and on the wall somewhere) will likely have some consideration on choosing between the two... if I wanted red to coordinate with a particular room, or if the obvious attention-grabbing color if the skies is desired to draw someone to walk over and really look at the detailed image up close, then, the composite seems to me to be the way to go.

If I were merely wanting a run-of-the-mill, ordinary, EXCELLENT AND STUNNING image, ... the original one posted would be perfect. :):):)

There is no best answer for me, love them both.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ed,

Unless you're going for a Magritte "Empire of Light" look (one of my all-time favorite paintings), stick with the black sky. The red is too clearly a different time of day. A slightly hazy grey would work - that's a common city night sky.

My 2p,

Matt

D

Deleted member 7792

I'm interested in everyone's views on this...

The first shot is one that I posted a few days ago of the scene from the Shard. The second one includes a sky that occurred earlier the same evening, composited onto the same scene.

Which do you prefer...?
Ed, I prefer the one without the composited sky. IMHO, the red sky detracts from the incredible detail of the lights of the city. I love the shot (without the red sky).

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.