The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

Ed

Is that the "Flying Scotsman" train from London to Edinburgh ? ? ?

Hi Jürgen,

I hope you will forgive me if I answer in a slightly pedantic way! The name "Flying Scotsman" was given both to a train service and also to a specific locomotive. The service operated between London King's Cross and Edinburgh. The locomotive (which is what is now famous) was used on that service, but also on other services and lines.

This locomotive is no. 60009 "Union of South Africa" and did operate on that line. As a result, I expect it did see service on the service called the Flying Scotsman. However, it is not the locomotive of that name (though it was designed by the same man, Sir Nigel Gresley). It is seen in this picture operating on an altogether different line from any it would have operated on back in original steam days - it's between Guildford and Redhill.

Hope that helps!

Ed

AlanS

My Father in Law once drove the actual Flying Scotsman engine in S. Yorkshire whilst it was detoured around a main line closure! :D

AlanS

I was quite surprised when he slipped that one out recently, especially as he was a fireman at the time and his driver let him take the train for the whole detour around the backwaters of S. Yorkshire! BTW he is 89 now.

Shashin

Hi Jürgen,

I hope you will forgive me if I answer in a slightly pedantic way! The name "Flying Scotsman" was given both to a train service and also to a specific locomotive. The service operated between London King's Cross and Edinburgh. The locomotive (which is what is now famous) was used on that service, but also on other services and lines.

This locomotive is no. 60009 "Union of South Africa" and did operate on that line. As a result, I expect it did see service on the service called the Flying Scotsman. However, it is not the locomotive of that name (though it was designed by the same man, Sir Nigel Gresley). It is seen in this picture operating on an altogether different line from any it would have operated on back in original steam days - it's between Guildford and Redhill.

Hope that helps!

Ed
The A4 class were amazing machines. The Mallard still holds the speed record for a steam locomotive. When I was very young, my next door neighbor was actually on that train during the speed trial. Still, given their inefficiency and pollution, I am glad they are only found in museums and special lines.

Ed Hurst

The A4 class were amazing machines. The Mallard still holds the speed record for a steam locomotive. When I was very young, my next door neighbor was actually on that train during the speed trial. Still, given their inefficiency and pollution, I am glad they are only found in museums and special lines.
Hi Will,

Yes, Mallard's record (126mph, set in 1938) is remarkable. I hope it stands for all time! I grew up close to where that record was set, to a father who brought me up to have a railway obsession - so it's in my blood.

Although steam is inefficient, I suspect it still does less harm overall than road + air transport does. Steam exhausts are highly visible (most of what you can see is often steam, of course!), but all those cars, lorries and 'planes are doing so much more harm... An inefficient train is still more efficient than an equivalent number of road vehicles.

Not to mention how much richer we would be in our souls if steam still ruled the way!

Anyhow, I won't get my way, so it's academic...

dave.gt

Hi Will,

Yes, Mallard's record (126mph, set in 1938) is remarkable. I hope it stands for all time! I grew up close to where that record was set, to a father who brought me up to have a railway obsession - so it's in my blood.

Although steam is inefficient, I suspect it still does less harm overall than road + air transport does. Steam exhausts are highly visible (most of what you can see is often steam, of course!), but all those cars, lorries and 'planes are doing so much more harm... An inefficient train is still more efficient than an equivalent number of road vehicles.

Not to mention how much richer we would be in our souls if steam still ruled the way!

Actually, academic discussions aside, your family connection to steam power is somewhat similar to mine.

How many people have actually ridden in a Stanley Steamer? I have only because my family ties are with Audrey Gibbs of North Carolina was the steam engine guru for many years before he passed some twenty years ago. White steam cars and Stanley Steamers were not his only passion, but also his creation of a steam engine he designed himself. Sadly, the realization of his new engine could not compete with gasoline-powered engines of the time when muscle cars and technology came into their own.

I have a few of his pictures from the magazines over the years that featured his work. They remind me of the amazing rides in the Stanley Steamer. But now the trend seems to be electric power with the exploitation of less fortunate people in countries where cobalt is found. Like oil, another dark story.

Alas, our history as humans has shown that we leave behind unpleasant footprints with lasting effects. Maybe that disillusion is for me why I enjoy photography.

Medium Format being in a category all its own, of course.:)

dave.gt

Hello Sinuhe

I just got my 201F and 203FE plus two E12 film backs serviced . I am tired of the hunt for more and more pixels in digital backs . Despite the cost . And , I must say , I am always very pleased to hold one of my HASSIEs in my hands . Its just a :thumbs:great feeling .
Ain't that the truth? I miss my 503cxi, but I am enjoying the H camera with film backs. Funny thing, I loved the sound emanating from the V cameras!! It was startling but wonderfully ALIVE as if the camera was breathing! I have been missing that sound... until the other day when I removed the 90° VF from the H and played with the intoxicating view through the focusing screen and fired off a few frames... guess what? The H camera has an almost identical "ka-whump!!!" sound!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!! ...IT BREATHES!!!:salute:

Now to process those test images... they looked great on the 50c back. I bet they turned out different than my usual images through the 90° VF... if only because of the waist level perspective.:)

raycox

Hi Will,

I thought that perhaps you would find this group interesting Ed.

Regards, Ray

https://csrail.org

Mark C

I ventured north up the coast to Amble today, so a couple of shots from there. The 1st one is a WA shot of the pier (GF 23mm) which I felt worked best in B&W:

Amble, Northumberland by Mark, on Flickr

A few minutes earlier I was able to get a shot of Coquet island from the end of the pier. The light was better when I got this one and I thought colour worked better. This was with the GF 45mm:

Coquet island by Mark, on Flickr

tsjanik

I live on the shore of Lake Erie. Sometimes the view of the lake reminds me of painters. Most often, Mark Rothko, but this scene reminds me of René Magritte. 645Z 80-160.

Tom

Attachments

k-hawinkler

I live on the shore of Lake Erie. Sometimes the view of the lake reminds me of painters. Most often, Mark Rothko, but this scene reminds me of René Magritte. 645Z 80-160.

Tom
Thanks. Terrific image. I like composition, light, colors, mood! :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.